a rant on SW collecting

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by KA, Jul 28, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought abt posting this at GD instead, but since i'm using the TF collecting community as a point of reference...

man SW collectors are a buncha a sourpusses.

this rant specifically came from this remark i came across in regards to the SWTF toys. personally i dont like most of the toys either, but this guy said something along the line of 'SWTF are like the worst abomination ever as far as cross branding is concern'.

i mean, WTF?

where have these guys been like for the past quarter century?! SW merchandising has produced some of the most laughable products ever (if for nothing else, based on volume alone) from darth vader booties for kids to sprinkler head decorations. i mean, most recently, we have darth tater, a mr potato head version of vader. A FRIGGIN' POTATO! hello? at least SWTFs transform into frickin' robots (even if some of the designs are dodgy, robots > potato)

man, those guys are like, devoid of sense of humor, man.

KA
    - is a SW fan and does a bit of collecting too.

2. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Yeah I would never Collect Starwars stuff way too much of it but I do agree with his starwarsTF comment if only the Part that they are an abomination what was Hasbro thinking

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude, i get it if you dont like SWTF, but in the context of SW collecting, have you seen what else is out there?

even old timers joke abt how lucas would merchandise anything.

so for SW collectors to suddenly go OMGWTF, i just have to say, dude, look at what youre already wading in *rolls eyes*

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "SWTFs are a worse disaster than all the tsunamis and hurricanes that ever happened put together!!"

"WEE-WOO-WEE-WOO! Uh-oh! here come the hyperbole police, come to haul you off the Exaggeration-traz! :)  "

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well...coming from personal experience, TF fans rank a close 2nd behind SW fans in terms of complaints! LOL! Seriously though GL is truly capable of licensing SW to anything...

6. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You should have posted it over there. No point in bringing a fight here that has nothing to do with us.

Let them be and let them collect all the star wars stuff they want. I just don't want to see a cross over with star wars and transformers. Oh wait......

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    psst liger. my rant arose from another forum we both frequent, hehe...

XD :p 

8. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Heh...you should see BattleTech fans bitch about stuff being non-TRO, Unseen, Reseen, Custom, or non-RP.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This is a true story.

7 years ago I worked at a Target. While I was working there Target had a very desireable Star Wars exclusive...a 12 Bike Scout with a Speeder Bike. Now, this thing was a monster to keep in stock. The box was huge, we could only fit two on the shelf, and although we got a few shipments of it we never had more than 4 or 5 in stock at any given time. The Star Wars collectors were batshit about this thing. We would get maybe on average a couple of dozen phone calls in an 8 hour shift asking about it, and probably at least that many walkins checking on it. One guy called every half hour the store was opened for days, as if we have a stream of trucks coming in all day long. Most were very rude and treated us like idiots. So one day I got fed up.

When the Star Wars jerk called (the one who called every half hour) and rudely asked if we had the Star Wars Speeder Bike in stock, I siezed on his slightly vague request. Usually we'd just tell them it was out of stock, because we'd already fielded 5 calls that hour on the same subject, but that day I told him to let me go check. I went over to the toys and checked to see if my plan was in place, and it was, so I told him we had it in stock and to come in and get it. He didn't even say thanks or goodbye, he just hung up the phone. A few minutes later he comes waddling in and says he heard we have the Star Wars Speeder Bike in stock. So I say oh yeah, come with me. I take him back to toys and hand him the $5 miniature Lego Speeder Bike. Oh man, he looked like his head was going to explode. It was awesome. He cussed me out and called me all kinds of names and said I was incompetent and worthless and blah blah blah. I don't think he ever did figure out that I knew exactly what he was looking for and did it to him on purpose. I couldn't help but laugh.

He actually tried to report me to the manager, but my manager backed me up and told me later that hopefully it taught the guy a lesson about calling our store 20+ times a day and wasting our time.

Still, SW collectors don't hold a candle to Hot Wheels guys for sheer collector assholism. Those guys are nuts.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    great story kidD!

i give it, 5 shwoos.

the thing with us TF collectors, most of us know how silly we are, going gaga over plastic things intended for those more than half our age.

SW collectors on the other hand, have no sense of perspective. XD

...at least the one i'm making fun off anyway :p 

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Haha, KD, that's awesome.

I just think SW collectors are an insane bunch as it is. They bitch about everything. If it's not Hasbro making or nor making something, it's a store which has an exclusive. If it's not a sotre with an exclusive, it's every store because they don't stock.

Every retail employee is a cokehead, hs dropout, scalper who cherry picks every good figure from the case and sells them on ebay only to give their profits straight to the Dark Lord Statan himself.

I collect starwars figures, but in no way consider myself part of their collector community. There was recently a thread bitching about comic con and how out of 60 figures coming out in 2007, 20 something were the only new molds. It's like these people are totally devoid of any sense of how a company stays in business by cutting costs.

Sad thing is, Hasbro haters in the tf fandom at least have (or had) Takara to say they would do a btter job at X toy than Hasbro. SW fans can only imagine that Kenner, a company that was bought out by Hasbro, could do a better job with the franchise.

EDIT: Oh yes, and many of them actually delude themselves into think that collectors carry the line and the kids just pick up the slack from time to time. Yeah, because there isn;t a shotload of pegwarming cantina aliens aimed at collectors at my local target and walmart.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Darth Vader on a MOTORCYCLE. Not Speederbike, motorcycle.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

13. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I have seen that happen too and I gotta agree with the whole Hotwheels comment too. One night there were 5 people in the toy area in a circle. I figured someone had gotten hurt cause it seemed as they were just crowding whatever was on the floor. I go check and its a case of New Hotwheels. All 5 were going through an opened case. Another time a smart Walmart Employee was using one of these guys to stock the cars for him in order for him to get first dibs on whatever cars he wanted. Smart Employee if you ask me

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man hot wheels collectors are kuh-ray-zee.

i wonder if they have boards and what theyd be like....

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not much of a SWTF fan, but god... aside from LEGOs, it's the best cross-brand thing I can think of.

Great story KD. :) 

17. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Great stories you guys. F'ing classics. Had a good chuckle this morning.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Not to derail this thread, but it's collectors that buy literally entire cases of Star Wars, and go into stores everyday to wipe them out leaving only the pegwarmers. I find it delusional to believe kids carry the line when they can't even find the freakin figures and can't afford to buy them online.

Anyway, I'm sick to death of Star Wars as a whole. Besides Titanium, I haven't actually collected Star Wars in years. A once fun cultish hobby in the late 80s to the mid 90s has turned retardedly mainstream. And Hasbro doesn't help things by releasing 50 figures a year, many of which are useless old men or holograms. Holograms!!! Explain that one to me. They scream pegwarmers.

19. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I think those got more of a "WTF?" reaction from me than SWTF ever did. Yeah, I'm not crazy about the SWTF, but at least its semi-decent idea.

*hopes that there's never a Optimus Prime riding a harley figure*

20. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol.. that's all too true. I think Hasbro is finally realizing this by releasing the EU figures that fans have been asking for for years. Then again, its not a movie year so they gotta make money any way they can.

I used to be a hard core SW collector. I still talk to SW collectors in my area and they're no different than my TF collector friends. They bitch about the same stuff.. repaints, poor distribution, scalpers, stupid employees, etc. Calling them annoying or nutty.. well there are TF collectors that are just as bad.

As a SW collector, I'm attracted to the SWTF's alt modes. As a TF fan though, the fact that they're mechs and not sentient robots just doesn't sit with me. The robot modes are pretty fugly to boot.