a random thought about G1 dinobots.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Did anyone else think it was weird that Grimlock, a t-rex, was a friend to a bunch of vegitarian dinos? It would be like making an Autobot faction where a robotic housecat lead a robo-mouse, a robo-canary, and a robo-goldfish.

2. takedown334

takedown334 Response Dispatcher

Guess Chip & Spike forgot to mention that bit of information to Hound, Wheeljack and Ratchet. But then again "Jurassic Park" had not been written yet.:dj . We still believed there was such a thing as a brontosaurus.

3. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

there wasn't?

4. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Nope. Its actually an Apatosaurus.

Also, Swoop, a pterosaur of some kind, is not a vegetarian, contrary to what Petry form the Land Before Time showed. Then again, that cartoon is not exactly biologicallyaccurate.

:p 

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I think its wierd that a property about robots in disguise would have robot dinosaurs which are no disguise at all, what-so-ever, to anyone.

6. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Disguise was nothing more than a tag line. It only works once. "Megatron look, a Red Truck with a Police car, Yellow VW, White Porshe, Military Jeep and an F1 racer driving in a line together."
    "remember last time when they transformed into the Autobots? You think it's them?"
    Megatron-"Of course not fool!"

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I get all my dinosaur science from Land of the Lost. Which reminds me, why aren't there any transfoming Sleestaks?

TRUKK not PAKUNI

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    fucking lol dude.

me grimlock lead because rest of dinobot vegetarian wussies.

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

If you think that it's weird for a T-Rex to be hanging out with some herbivores then definitly don't think about the millions of years that seperated the T-Rex from the Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus.

10. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, I don't think I'd put it past cartoon Megatron. At least his master plan wasn't to demoralize the people of the Earth by carving his face into the moon like Cobra Commander.

As to the original question - no, not at all. Because T-REXEZ R AWSUME!!! The rest of the dinobots were just acknowledging what the rest of us already knew.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's why they were kept in the closet and later banished to dinobot island.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    That's the exact reason he was the leader. The others knew that if they didnt' do what he said, he'd eat them.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    They were robots,they didn't eat meat or plants..... though we see them eating fish on cybertron in "Grimlocks New Brain"... though how did fish get on cybertron?

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    migration.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats SO what I was going to say!

Grimlock was a T-rex because T-rexs are like prehistoric land-sharks...badasses no one wants to eff with:D 

16. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, since we're putting the Dinobots under the microscope, here is my take on them.... I think the coolest idea to their origins, is that they were sent to Earth chasing some fugitive Decepticons, and took on the forms of the dominant life forms at the time. This theory was blown when Furman put the time line down that the "Great War" started 9 million years ago. Dinos died out 65 million years ago. We would have to work in some kind of convenient "temporal anamoly" in order for the idea to work. However T-rexes, Triceratops and Pteranodons lived tens of millions of years after Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus. So those forms would not be available to Snarl and Sludge. Two similar forms that they could take on could be a Ankylosaurus (another armored Dinosaur) for Snarl, and a Titanosaur for Sludge (a smaller sauropod contemporary of T-rex and the others.) These are also both in the size range of a T-rex and Triceratops (between 35-40ft.) Swoop would also be much smaller than the rest of the Dinobots if he took on the form of a Pteranodon (only aroud a 30 foot wingspan with a much smaller body), but if he was a Quetzocoatlus northropii, he would have a 40+foot wingspan, and a larger body mass to form the bulk of his body. This would make the Dinobots much more feasible, and scientifically accurate (along with updated Alt-modes.)
    I have sketched up new forms for all of them, and plan to do sculptures of all 5 of them. (check out my Cyclonus WIP thread in the fan art forum to see a sample of what they may look like) I am going to post my pics and plans soon in Fan Art. I did update their transformations and articulation as well...just in case I can get some scratchbuilding time to make them an actual TOY reality, but they will definitely be sculpted up.

17. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    just like coconuts..

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

Umm... they were robots- why would it matter what they turned into? I think Grimlock would've been just as likely to attack the other Dinobots no matter what they transformed to, even other tyrannosaurs.

19. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I know it's always said that on the box, but come on, Transformers has NEVER been about disguise. There was like one scene where the coneheads hid in an airfield and Soundwave got into a power plant with his alt mode. The alt modes have always been there for enhanced physical abilities.

20. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

cool. can't wait to see them.