A question

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Alright, let's say that nothing else changes about the movie. The bots will remain the same alien mechanoids, and the story will remain the same. Would you, and I'm mainly talking about the anti-movie people, accept all of this if you would get this in return:

A real live action TF series, which uses influences from IDW's Transformer comics and has more simple, Alternator-ish bots?

Just wondering what people would rather want: A pure G1 movie, or a movie that focusses on the general public and reinvents everything while having that TV show as well.

2. Exitspeed

Exitspeed Well-Known Member

^
    Isn't the answer to this question pretty appearant?

Most people want G1...There not getting it though. End of story.

3. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Most people in the fan communies want G1. Most people out in the real world wont really care much. The actual numbers of people who are rabid G1 fans are very small in comparison to the number of the GENERAL movie going public who either dont care or arent fans of the series to begin with. Lets face it ... if MOST people in the world were G1 fans we would see more in the line of the robots we all loves and less of the Transformers changing universes all the time. As it stands, there are no Transformers at all in any popular time slots because television stations know that current generation kids would rather watch something else. The people developing this movie really dont care if this community wants G1 because the community numbers are so miniscule compared with the numbers of non fans they HOPE to bring in for future popularity of the franchise. And yes, it all translates to toy sales and making money, as it should be.

4. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I don't want g1. G1 is over, done with. I want something new.

5. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Amen!

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

After A/E/C, I'm ready for something different. Something other then the G1'esque look.

It's part of the reason I don't buy IDW's Transformers. But bought the Beast Wars mini-series.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well said d00d.

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I want my TRANSTECH! :( 

I still feel cheated.

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

And what universe, pray tell, is Redemption set in, Draven? :tongue:  ;) 

kidding and smart ass remarks aside, I would strongly prefer the G1 design aesthetic improved upon (Alternators is a good example), especially if we're using established and classic characters. IE, updating Starscream's design to be more plausible, detailed, poseable, etc. is cool..........BUT Starscream should still look like Starscream (G1, G2, Armada, Energon, War Within IDW, Dreamwave, etc.) pretty much set a standard fo what he looks like, Machine Wars was a wierd fluke. An interesting design it might be, Starscream, he ain't.

For story, I'm not as picky. I would enjoy a series set within the established G1 timeline, though maybe with new characters and put in a different period of TF history, like Beast Wars and Beast Machines, or something that ties up loose ends from these series.

10. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    I hear ya. I really liked those transtech designs.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    G2. It follows on from the comics, the way I felt they should continue. not the crappy G1 cartoon.
    However, that has less than nothing to do with what I want to see in a new official series, does it.

12. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Sorry to crash the thread. Just happened to browse by.

But look. If it looks like this; it's animated like this, it has heft like this, it has story like this... it has HEART like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3bzpFP6JzMs&mode=related&search=

I don't care WHAT characters are or aren't in it. I won't even whine much if they reuse designs from, well, any series, really - I'll watch it.

G1 isn't dead. It's just ready for a sequel written and animated with as much love and respect as BW.

Live-action.... It has its place, and I'll see the movie before I talk smack on it. But live-action for TF can't compete with animation like this yet.

13. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

As a cartoon it is very much dead. I don't know if you realize this, but when they pick what shows air on a tv channel at prime times they only select shows that kids are likely to watch. They have not put Transformers on at any prime time because kids of today really don't watch Transformers as a show anymore. At some time they felt that thew were losing ratings and needed a change. New universes were created to change it up a bit ... and now there are none. There is just a crappy Cybertron that is only on crap hours.

As a show it IS pretty much dead and the ratings prove it. Now, you may have liked it, but in general kids don't thats just how it is.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    I do realize

Now, I'm going to have to assume that you've watched Armada, Energon, and Cybertron. Because I haven't. I don't blame kids of today for not watching TF - these 3 series sucked. I have toys from all 3 series - that's not the weak point. And the voice actors aren't either. There's too much glitter, too much yu-gi-oh, too much "we can't influence kids to be violent", and frankly, too much substance abuse; and too little story.

Did you watch the Gundam clip?

Yeah, about the second week of Armada

QFT

I don't find a lot of disagreement in what you say with what I said. I was replying to the statement that G1 is dead. You're talking about recent TF cartoons.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I think a better example would be GaoGaiGar, a show from the same studio that did that Gundam show. It's from a cartoonseries generally named Yuusha, and it's a bit of a wacky/very violent mix between Transformers and Power Rangers (in fact, the first Yuusha show was created when Transformers Zone bombed, and the animation looked practically the same). This is definately a show with heart, and the combiners of that show (the Symmetrical Dockers) give you a better idea what Transformers could have been like, had it been taken more seriously by Takara:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    GaoGaioGar is the best cartoon series ever made.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    To correct you there, Exkaiser airred on Japanese TV the year after TF Victory. Zone was an OVA series because Takara felt it would do better that way than on TV. Zone did perform poorly though while Brave was a success (except in spite of fan praise, GaoGaiGar was a total failure with its target demographic. Super Robot fanboys ate the show up on DVD, though, which is how it proved to be such a success.)

Ironically, the most successful Brave show with its target demographic (if not with fans) was Goldran, which most closely follows the style of recent TF shows. Dagwon and GGG's failure were mostly because they were more mature and darker.

Ignoring success with demographics though, GaoGaiGar is easily one of the very best super robot mecha series ever made. It's got excellent writing, awesome mecha designs, unique and interesting attacks, and a human cast who are useful as opposed to annoying. The DVDs are just hitting the US now, I strongly suggest checking them out, especially the later ones when they are released. The series kicks into high gear in the early 20s and just accelerates from there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Actually, I got the impression that he's talking about G1. If g1 wasn't dead, we'd be seeing it on tv.

19. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

*shudder* Yes I have seen them. I think it was an attempt to try and make the shows more in line with that they thought kids would like since they apparently didnt like the old show. Aside from Beast Wars, the others had bad voice acting and a crappy story writing. ESPECIALLY CYBERTRON. Gawd I hate that show.

I havent watched too much of the Gundam series but I LOVED how they did the animation in there. If any of the new shows had that exact style of fighting it will be a winner. Well, I love how they do the animation in pretty much any Japanese made cartoon. They seem like they put way more effort into it than a lot of the American made ones. Thank you for sharing that video link.

Hopefully "Heroes" will be better. I am hoping I will have a Transformers show that I can look forward to again.

20. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

Clearly G1.