A question to my fellow music video makers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spider Striker, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

What program do you use to get the video from DVDs onto your computer, and what video editing program do you use?

I ask because in my quest to find a good DVD ripper, I've found a few (some from recomendations here), but for whatever reason, the video files won't import into Windows Movie Maker (my video editing program of choice).

Right now, I have DVDFab for ripping, and it's a really nice program, but I want to make sure I can find a video editor that can read it before I drop any kind of coin or time.

So, basically, I'm asking what ripper/editor combo do you use to make your videos?

Thanks.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I use Vegas Video to edit. It'll import all of my .mpg, .avi, and .wmv videos. A while back, I used to use this guide (with slight variations on settings) to convert DVDs to .MPG files. Usually a combination of SmartRipper and TMPGenc will do it.

3. Spider Striker

4. Jux

I've never used Vegas Movie Studio. I've only used their full versions of Vegas Video. From my understanding, Movie Studio is a pretty stripped down version of their full Vegas Video.

I <3 Vegas Video. But if you don't do that much editing, or aren't going to be using a lot of effects, you really don't need it. Every video of mine over the past few years have been made with Vegas, so that might give you an idea of it's ability (and truthfully, I don't even come close to using it to it's full potential). It's got standard effects built in, and then you can get creative with layering video, color masks, etc. etc.

5. Spider Striker

*bump!*

Thanks for the input, Jux. I really do appreciate it. :) 

Anyone else have anything to add?

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah.

I need to get my Vegas working.

WINK WINK

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use a program called "Magic DVD Ripper" - it's great.

For editing it's either Vegas or Premiere depending on what I'm doing.

Also if you're making music videos you're going to need lots of shitty animes and a whole bunch of Evanescence and Nickelback.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I use "1 Click DVD to AVI" to rip stuff. It's great for "borrowing" little bits and pieces of animation, film, etc.

9. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I am not familar with the vegas video edting software. But I hate to use the words video edting and movie maker in the same sentance.

As for DVD ripping. I will not post on them due to the DMCA law which they break. Just keep in mind that if you do rip a dvd it is in a finishing format and may not give the best avaible video to edit from.

I here is a list I created for another discusion on video editing.

For beginers

iMovie
    There is nothing better than Apples iMovie and since it is free with all new Macintosh computers and is by far and away the easiest to use.

Movie Maker
    If you have the time to kill and lots of patience you are welcome to try it. Be warned it is very finicky with what it uses as video source files.

General purpose

Final Cut express
    Just as powerful as the most advanced video editor on the market. But with lot lower cost of $299. Even less if you are a student. Capable of doing most effects and transtions in real time(no waiting for rendering). This is the software I use for my edits.

Advanced

Final Cut Pro
    The most powerful editing software on the market. Just as powerful as the express, but with some extra plugins for sound and advanced compasiting.

Adobe Priemeier
    Much closer in equal to final cut express, but quite a bit more expensive and not nearly as fully featured. Does not have real time effects or transtions. So be ready for lots of down time as you waiting to check the timing of the edit.

10. Lord Madhammer

Lord Madhammer Just a simple man

News Credits:
  11. Jux

I've tried Premiere but Vegas has three main advantages for me over it:

1 - Real time previews. You can apply edits, effects, etc., and preview it in real time with no rendering - and if you are using multiple tracks and it's memory intensive, you can pre-render small portions of the timeline that play along with your unrendered footage.

2 - Unlimited audio and video tracks. The last time I worked with Premiere, you had two video tracks, and one audio track, and that was that. But Vegas will allow me to use as many video tracks as I want (useful for some of my color mask effects), as well as several different audio tracks.

3 - Much more user friendly interface. It took me a few weeks to learn Premiere, but I picked up Vegas in a matter of hours.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    1up'd. This is the biggest reason I keep using Vegas.

13. Spider Striker

Oh believe me, I've learned all about that.

Thanks! I'll do a search for that one.
    And I have tons of Evanescence (and Linkin Park), my roommate has two Nickelback CDs, and we tons of Anime between us. :p