A Question to fellow ebay sellers....

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Tyjos, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

How many of you get questions from those potential buyers that seem to act like they know everything about the item you have listed? Or try to tell you you need to have this and that in your listing?

I got a question like that today, prompted me to block that bidder cause I can tell that if I sold it to them they'd be complaining about how the item isn't complete and this and that. Actually got 2 questions from that same user.

Just sorta set off some warning signs to me with people talking like they know it should be listed as this and that.

This type of buyer to me seemed to be the type that won't be pleased at all even if you answered all their questions.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I get a lot of "how much is shipping to -international location-" when I have in my listings that I only send to the US. On the boards I'll ship anywhere, but to keep in compliance with Paypal's shit, nobody wants to pay that much in shipping anyway so why bother with it on ebay?

Beyond that, I don't get too much else crap.

3. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I will admit I can ask those questions. Usually those sellers have a sentence description just saying its good. I look at G1s so if they're not sealed in their package then they're going to have wear. But I know they're twenty years old and want to know their condition so there aren't any surprises. As long as I know, i'm a happy buyer.

4. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've had that a few times and it's a pain to deal with. You follow all the rules but because there's a piece of lint on the item they want to return it. Sure you can have "No returns" in your description but eBay or Paypal won't care so you just have to deal with the return. Once I get the return I just ban the person. No need to make my life more stressful.

so my new policy is if a person seems to be that picky with questions while an auction is running then they get an instant ban. Folks need to learn they can't be annoying and feel like they're the only person in the universe. That's the nice thing about eBay ... there are a ton of buyers out there.

5. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I both buy and sell on eBay, as a seller some of the questions usually can be prevented as long as one takes the time to type an accurate description. Granted you'll never eliminate the international bidders who can't read "WILL ONLY SHIP WITHIN THE UNITED STATES".

However, as a buyer I admit I ask questions about an item's condition if the seller half asses a description as Red Hope suggested.

6. Tyjos

I always have one or two that ask about international shipping when I have in Bold in my auctions "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING"

or those who ask for local pickup when you don't offer pickup.

7. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I'd get those every now and again...if someone is willing to drive to me, give me cash (saves on paypal fees), and do it within my schedule...that would be the bees knees.

I did have one guy last month that wanted me to meet him half way though, and he lived in another state about 120 miles away. That I wouldn't consider a "local" pickup, that is just a pain in my arse.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When it comes to shipping i cannot blame the international buyers for asking. Some things are not easy to get and there are some buyers willing to pay the pricey shipping so it can be tracked.

9. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree. I try to give heavy details when I sell transformers. I have a listing up now and haven't had a question yet. Although, I think sometimes that may hurt me - too honest. lol

I was just sayin in another post how I bought off eBay a G1 Bombshell. I got him in and looked fine from first glance. I finally looked more at him last night - he has red paint on his face & shoulder. That wasn't in the description or photo. But that's my fault for not asking the seller. It's not even worth fighting over at $7, and I won't buy from that fella again.

There are certain things about the condition that should be disclosed... saves everybody.

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i have in my payment instructions...ask all questions BEFORE placing a bid.

and i also tell folks in the description...item is as pictured and still have buyers ask me if the box or instructions are included...when none are clearly there in the pictures.

IF i get a person playing the 50 or more pain in the ass questions game i ban them too...not worth taking a chance on someone like that...you can also tell what folks are going to be a pain in the ass or not based on what type and how many questions they ask...atleast i can and ban people appropriately.

11. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're right. There's a fine line between asking questions and asking too many questions while ignoring what the description says and provided pictures shows. Those people aren't going to be happy no matter what. Then we'll see some complaint about it on the boards. :lol 

12. Tyjos

I now am also dealing with a buyer who has bought one item from me, and hasn't paid me and it's been a week and just won an auction from me. Already opened a non paying bidder claim with them and they haven't contacted me AT ALL.

I'm about ready to file a non paying bidder complaint against them on the 2nd item If I don't get payment from them so it's very annoying dealing with buyers who don't bother to contact me with questions....

13. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Well I am guilty of this because there are just some items that you have to have and aren't available elsewhere. Also I do often get replies back from sellers that actually do offer international rates although their auction states they ship only within their own country be it US or elsewhere.

14. Tyjos

Hey Moderators, if you want to sticky this thread to the top of the ebay page I think it'd be a good thing to have a Q&A Thread for Ebay for buyers or other sellers with certain problems,etc.

15. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I prefer it when folks actually know about what they're buying - saves me time. But I always answer any questions they might have. Sometimes they clue me in on things - I was selling a MOTU Classics King Grayskull from the ComicCon a couple years ago - brand new in the box. And a guy asks me about its ANKLES - apparently they can break even if it's brand new. And I'm thinking like "HA! Yeah right - " and so I go and check and sure enough the damn things ankles were broken and I had to end the listing. That question certainly saved me a lot of complaints and hassle because I had no idea that that thing could actually break IN its package.

The questions I hate are about shipping. I only ship within the USA, no exceptions, I don't care about your feedback... and I don't care if you're the Pope, I'm not sending ANYTHING to Italy. I'm convinced that theres a force field around Italy that just ABSORBS whatever you try to ship through it. But I still get "Will you ship to, oh, let's say Atlantis?" - those make me mad. Because it means they're probably NOT paying attention to whatever else is in the auction whatsoever.

16. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I'll chime in for the "I sometimes ask about postage" as there sometimes is no other choice at the time and in the past sellers have just given me a price around the $20 mark.

What is the deal with Italy? I've seen auctions coming from the far east and they clearly mark out Italy as like this zone of awful postage. Anyone got any info on that?

The problem with eBay will always be the lack of actually seeing the things in person, whereas at a stall at a convention you can make your own judgement then and there. Also, as time goes on eBay has gone from people buying things to people demanding things. While a lot of stores have this whole "customer is always right" policy, eBay really doesn't. There's a difference between people coming to buy stuff and others trying to sell stuff.

17. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I have no idea WHY Italy is so bad - in the distant past, I've sent 3 packages to Italy... none have made it. I'm 0 for 3 to Italy, so I stopped. I think maybe they go by boat, and the guys on the boat toss the packages into the sea, and if they make it to shore then you're good. I guess all three of mine sank.

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    keep filing them, after 3 they get booted from ebay.

19. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    here are a nice long ass list of shipping restrictions to italy:

Italy

scroll down and read the toys one...looks like italy never went past the end of WWII...say the 1940's era...

20. Tyjos

Well they paid and sent me a message like "Please ship it out sooon, pack with bubble wrap and acessoriesin plastic bags I need Tracking number"

I just gave em the tracking number I hope they won't be a problem buyer, but I really am at the point I no longer care...it's buyers like that who have taken the fun out of selling on ebay.