A Question to fellow Collectors...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well....I've recently just gotten a ton of Transformers, accomplished my collecting goals for many years in just a few short months.

With my family's finances soon heading into an time where the money normally used to buy figures will be allocated to paying the bills, etc.

The Question I've been asking myself is this:

Should I stop short of the last 2 Transformers that I feel like I want for my collection but don't really need due to the fact I've got a ton all ready

Or Just completely forget collecting Transformers all together and basically say "This is enough, I don't need anymore"

Just sorta at that point now....Hasbro doesn't need to get anymore of my money.....they've probably had me hooked on Transformers since the 90's....and Gi Joe....and Star Wars....

Probably getting burned out again...seems to be happening now more lately.

But still after accomplishing many of my collecting goals, and with Wal-mart raising their prices on stuff adding to it which has sorta sucked my excitement out the window since eventually prices on everything is going to go up.....just makes me ask:

Do I really need it anymore?

Right now I'm deciding that I don't.

Stuff takes up space, money could be used for other important things....

Just enough to drive ya insane if you bounce it around in your head like you were playing a game of pong all the time.

I just wonder if anyone else has gotten to that point now these days.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think you've already answered the question for yourself.

My advice...don't take advice from strangers on the internet.

3. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    if ur trying to complete a collection get the ones u need then stop. if u dont finish it, it seems as though it was a waste.

4. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Well they are just toys. I have my collection on display and would like to add more but if things like food, utilities, gas for the vehicle, credit card debt, medical bills are needing your money then it is time to put your collection on hold until finances are caught up. Also there will always be that one more item that a collector wants.

5. Tyjos

And who knows, those two that I'm looking to get I normally buy full price in store but recently have gone back to my old ways of looking elsewhere to get them cheap so I think with the way the economy is going people are going to be selling more stuff and the market may get flooded with the ones I need at dirt cheap prices.

I'm just thinking long term here mainly, that grim future I think about may be avoided if something good happens [my father getting a job]

Just the old thing:
    "Oh Oh! New Figure!" - Looks at Pictures "I WANT IT! I WANT IT! IT LOOKS COOL!"

Course now it's more like
    -Sees Figure in store "Eh, it's not as cool as it looks." -Puts it back on the shelf.

Gotta avoid that Hype now more than ever especially with the new Movie toys coming out....which that hype sucked me in when the movie came out since I ended up grabbing up just about every single figure that came out initially then in disgust sold them shortly after.

I'm sure many of you may have this same mindset when it comes to toys now these days as well.

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Set limits. I tell myself completism can only lead to ruin - financial and mental. Besides, why have the exact same collection as everyone else?

When you set limits, you are saying THIS IS *MY* COLLECTION. THESE ARE THE TOYS *I* ENJOY. Completism only says TAKE MY MONEY.

See the Decepticons in my sig? Those are the only ones + Shockwave I'm ever going to have from Animated. If a new one comes out that I think is so awesome must have, it must replace a current one of the same class. That way I know I'm serious about wanting it as opposed to simply "adding to the collection".

That is the thought process I now use to prevent myself from going nuts on zomg nu toyz~!

7. Tyjos

Yeah, I am a completest in a way and it was driving me slightly insane....but I'm actually getting over it now since I've gotten just about all the TF Figures that have come out recently or I've had them, sold the ones I didn't want.....course I've run out of space pretty darn quickly too.

I also have a habit of Junkin' [Going to thrift stores, flea markets, yardsales] and I like to take allot of cast off transformers that would normally get tossed in the trash and end up at the landfill. I may start doing that more now cause I actually save a good deal of money and not to mention help keep a Transformer toy from suffering the fate of being chunked in the dump.

I've got a nephew who's into transformers now that if I do decide to get rid of some stuff I may give him a few of the ones I have.

And plus since I'm going to be 25 this year the appeal of toys now are starting to wear off....since all they do once they get into my collection is gain dust [I spend at least an hour or so a every couple of weeks dusting] maybe the whole urge to collect is starting to run it's course....maybe once my overall interest dies down and I avoid all the hype for every new toy that's coming out I probably won't even worry about wanting another transformer [or toy] since by that time I may get tired of having to dust stuff off.