a question regardling desuatration in plastic color

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rego0012, Nov 28, 2011.

1. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so i was looking at my animated optimus prime the other day and notice something strange. the painted half of the upper shoulder area was a bright red as ever, but the bare red plastic portions had dulled down and become not just a tiny shade off but a completely different looking tone of red.

looking over the rest of my collection i could see that the reds on plastics had also changed somewhat. not as bad as the animated optimus mind you...but not as vibrant as they once where.

im not sure if this is normal or what could have caused something like this to happen since they are all in display cases and in a non smoking, light controlled, air conditioned home.

is it normal for a toy to lose some of that "factory" color?

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I imagine it's something along the lines of the yellowing that happens to white plastics - a process called Photodegradation. Even when keeping them in perfect conditions, some plastics will succumb to age.

Photodegradation - Transformers Wiki

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Did you leave the toy in a place where it was exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time?

4. rego0012

News Credits:
    no, they have always been in a cabinet which is in the corner of the room well out of direct sunlight. perhaps the cabinet it is in is the cause...

it is a wood cabinet with glass shelving. maybe the wood is somehow leeching color out of things?!?

looking everything over as i wrote this thread i have also noticed that yellow plastics have started to darken. it is only really noticeable on toys where there is painted portion trying to match the solid colored plastics. just looking at the toy itself you would have never really noticed they have lost that much color, but having that paint to look at and compare...holy crap

EDIT
    here is a crappy phone cam pic to show you what i am talking about.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. rego0012

News Credits:
    while im not excluding this as an option iam not sure it can be this considering its happening on figures only a year old.
    i have also noticed that my marvel select deadpool is suffering the same fate and he has never seen the inside of cabinet. so i can rule out the cause of it being what they are inside. im not sure what to do =[

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You said they are in a light controlled room. What kind of lighting, and how often are the figures exposed to the light? Fluorescent lighting simulates sunlight and can have the exact same effect as direct sunlight.

7. rego0012

News Credits:
    hrm...there are florescent lamps in the room, but they are never since they tweak my eyes something fierce. its been 60watt bulbs only.
    i DO live in a building that has a basement apartment though. perhaps something they are doing (smoking, cooking etc) although i cannot smell any foul odors it may be possible something is in the air?

perhaps i should look into an air purifier, if not for the sake of my collection...for my health as well...but like i said. i have never smelt anything form their apartment seeping in if it is something they are doing.

8. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

After spending years in an opaque black plastic container, I was shocked to see my G1 Scattershot with pinkish hands.

While I am surprised an Animated fig has suffered so soon, really, you'd need to keep your TFs in a vacuum to stop them from aging.

Climate control and UV filtering are about all you can do.

9. rego0012

News Credits:
    it really wouldn't bother me if it was just all plastic of the same color and didnt have the painted portions there that never really change. either that or actually paint the entire figure...but i know its a cost thing and we will never see that ever from a children focused toy company =[

i have never seen this happen on any toy so "young" not to the degree it has on my optimus at least. i suppose all i can try is an air purifier since a vacuum seal living area is totally out of the question :lol