A question regarding Decepticons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Atlas42, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

Do you think they can be made sympathetic and "human?" For instance, Soundwave has often shown to genuinely care for his casettes.

This was obviously not the case in the movies, where the Decepticons were little more than a gang of drooling, vicious monsters.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Thundercracker anyone?

3. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From what I can remember of Armada, wasn't Starscream kinda done this way???

4. power prime

power prime AutoBot Commander

Ebay:
    yes if they read IDW Comics

yes he was and you could say Demolishor was as well.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Presenting Autobots and Decepticons as two factions with members on both sides running the gamut from humane to despotic, instead of a uniform bunch of goody-two-shoes and a wholly villainous crew of cut-throats, is what I've always hoped a TF series would do. TFA took some great steps in that direction, giving the Cons, who performed few genuinely evil acts throughout the series, a legitimate, understandable reason to wage war on the Autobots, who themselves were no angels. This is how two battling armies are realistically portrayed.

6. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

But we can agree the Movies weren't too good on this?

7. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    you can't say human as a discription because that opens a whole entire can of arguments against what yo uwant, but yes if you mean reform and do the better thing for the decepticon army like drift or armada starscream or even energon megatron showing compassion and care for his men when he remade demolisher or when he went against unicron then yes yes they can.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Does a bear shit in the woods?

Bay dropped the ball, big-time.

9. Fisitronus

Fisitronus Wrecker

I'm Pretty sure IDW Thundercracker was made that way.

10. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Are you going to continue bashing the movies until someone agrees with you?

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I agree with Nachtsider. Lets see if that stops him or if he actually feels strongly about that opinion and will not drop it just because it's an unpopular one.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

There has been a few instances of nice Decepticons. Other than Armada Starscream, I can't think of any but I think there has been some.

I sometimes think about how nice Decepticons could be portrayed. I've thought of things like Starscream being a coward who only became a Con because he was afraid of them. I also thought about Soundwave being a socially impaired loser who joined the Cons because he felt he'd fit in better with less social people like the Cons. That's why he wares a visor and mask and acts like a computer. To discourage social communication.

13. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

I don't think there are many Decepticons who have been nice to humans.
    I think the right usage would be, "Decepticons who can tolerate humans", and won't try to murder them on sight. The movies are example of where Decepticons probably will just blast humans on sight, unless they share a special connection with the Cons like Soundwave had with Dylan.

Starscream tolerated Agent Fowler talking shit in Prime for quite a while. Ravage didn't eat Chip Chase in G1. Megatron didn't just step on the humans straight away in Armada.
    But you have to remember, they're cartoons where dying humans could be considered slightly too graphic. Hell, in Unicorn the death of a Bot/Con was usually dragged out for several minutes, imagine the death of a human...ugh.

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Okay Nachtsider this is getting old.

Anyways if the Decepticons were at all Mercifull and loyal, the Transformer war would be over long ago. However it would be nice to see more IDW Thundercrackers.

15. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

There are two sides to every story/war.

A little off topic, but I watched War Horse recently and there is a scene where a German soldier and a British soldier are helping each other in the middle of No Man's Land. You see in this scene that sides wage war and the soldiers merely do as they're ordered. The German soldiers believed in their cause enough to fight for it, but that didn't make them evil. Under different circumstances, these soldiers on opposing sides could have been friends.

That is how war really is. There is good and there is bad, but the people do not necessarily fall into this category. It should be the same for the Decepticons and the Autobots. And this is handled well in certain fiction, but not often enough, honestly. More often than not the Cons are shown as enjoying destruction and mayhem and the Autobots are shown as being 100% good. I really want to see them engaged in a more realistic war.

16. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In defence of the decepticons, they are the bad guys who want to take over the universe so I think caring about humans and others arnt really on the top of their traits list, duuuuuuh

17. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

When talking about been nice to humans they aren't because they view as inferior to them and have no respect for us.Ive always imagined the Cons do care about one another and watch each others backs if they all hated each other then they wouldn't work well at all as a team and an army.I view them like the Autobots in this way in that some get along with others while others dont.If you know what i mean.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They can and have been on numerous occassions in the past.

Thundercracker from G1 is one example, as are the rotor force members from the G2 comic. Cancer from Masterforce eventually switched sides, after a period of coaxing from Minerva. Dinobot is a prime example, a Predacon forced to band with the Maximals, with both he and they learning he was more of a hero than he initially appeared to be. Even his TM2 clone lit the darkest hour of the Maximals and, in a way, all cybertronians and humans. Sky-byte from RiD, while unable to escape his allegiances in the same way, showed a much softer side towards the innocent and a more poetic soul than anyone would have expected from him.

The list goes on and on, and that's one of the best things about the franchise: that there's more to many of the characters than meets the eye in the good-vs-evil concept.

19. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

Woah, defensive. I'm not bashing the movies.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The OP's question wasn't whether Decepticons could be nice to humans. It was if they could be portrayed like humans; i.e. as 3-dimensional characters that aren't pure evil for the sake of having villains on the show. And I believe that they can.

The thing to remember though, is that a Decepticon can be considered a nice guy without switching over to the Autobots. It's much more rare to see this kind of portrayal, but there are a few instances. And also to keep in mind that, as a warrior race, what they consider to be nice is going to be different from the generally accepted term.

Maybe they're more like the Spartans in 300; can't ever show weakness. Gotta' be stern and mighty at all times. If you're weak, they got no time for you. But if you're strong, you're one of them.
    Or those one aliens from Star Trek: TNG that hate comments like, "excuse me," and "Sorry, my fault," because they think it's hiding your true feelings. I remember Wesley Crusher bumping into one and having to yell at him to get on his good side. Yep.
    Or even the Klingons where they can beat each other up all day, and then chill in a bar together talking about how awesome killing each other was. In the same day no less!