A Question on Fans Who Became Creators

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shelfwarmercon, May 11, 2010.

1. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro's decision to honor some of the creative minds and talents involved in the creation and evolution of Transformers got me thinking about this.

Transformers has been around for 25 years. We've got various talents (toy designers, writers, artists, actors, etc.) who grew up watching, reading and playing with Transformers toys and media, long before they themselves joined the list of creative types who have helped produce official Transformer stuff.

That being said, which fan-turned-creator do you think doesn't deserve the fandom's scorn and criticism over his/her contributions to the Transformers, and why?

I'm only referring to the ones involved in official products and media.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really think any of the people that get bashed deserve the scorn. the two I seem to read about the most in recent memory are Michael Bay and Shane McCarthy. Bay's TF movies aren't for everyone, but I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as everyone cries they are. Same for all of the "All Hail Megatron" bashing. I don't see what was so bad about that story. Granted, it wasn't on par with some of the earlier IDW stuff, but it had good artwork and the story was acceptable. Basically, I guess what I am saying is that everyone who's contributed something to the TF phenomenon has some fans, and some that don't like it, so nobody really deserves the scorn/bashing. For example, I couldn't stand Beast Machines, but there are a ton of die-hard BM fans, so who am I to bash the direction they took with it?

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Andy Wildman. People complain about the "fleshy" faces he drew, but I love the expression it added to his art. You could almost hear the tone of a character's voice by looking at its face.

Ever heard of Pat Lee?

So we should never critisize anything ever, because majority rules?

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Afraid this might start a whole Animated flamewar again, but I feel Derrick Wyatt gets alot of unfair flak for the Animated artstyle.

Granted, there is a big group of people that absolutely adore the style, and there's a big group that doesn't like it all that much (hey, that's cool)..but then there's also a group of people who make pretty damn insulting comments about not just the style, but the people involved in the show's creation, Mr. Wyatt included.

The guy has nothing but love for TF, and I understand it's a very specific style, definitely not everybody's cup of tea..but some people have to be so damn scornful about it.

My 'problem' with McCarthy is that I read an interview with him, in which he admits he hates the Bay movies..then turns around and creates All Hail Megatron, which in my opinion, is on the exact same level as Bayformers. Falls into alot of the same traps, like violence for the sake of violence, destroys some longrunning plotlines from pre-AHM, introduces unneccesary personal 'cool' character etc. It all felt really forced to me, trying to write a 'badass' G1 comic.

Having said that, I have no hate for the guy or something..he's probably a nice guy. I dunno. But that just felt really stupid to me. :) 

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there are still fans of Pat Lee...

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The fine folks who got death threats during Beast Machines....

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It doesn't seem like any of the people listed as the inaugeral members of the Transformers Hall of Fame are fans-turned-creators. I think they were all folks that were just hired to do the job of creating a marketable product. They may have had fun at it, but I don't think the folks they've got on that list were TF fans from the outset.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The two fans-turned-creators I think of off the top of my head are Don Fig and Joe Kyde, but they're not scorned or shunned from the fandom.

10. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh no, I wasn't referring to the inaugural Hall of Famers at all. I'm asking more about the guys who did grow up exposed to Transformers when they were kids, before being fortunate enough to land jobs actually that allow them to officially create Transformers.

I remember there was a lot of negativity to Don's G1-meets-Movie style when he debuted it, which I thought was a considerable overreaction. You'd think he kicked their puppy or something.

Not to mention accuse fans who like Animated as being delusional, retarded or stupid. Wyatt's a hardcore Transformer fan, and seeing the treatment he (and to a lesser extent, Don F) got just comes across as an indicator of how the fandom eats its own. You can imagine the sort of nerdrage that's going to come up if Wyatt is ever entered into the Transformers Hall of Fame.