A question of Jetfires alt mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DecepticusPrime, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My friend and I have been wondering, considering that when Jetfire was awakened, he seemed very confused and disoriented. he seemed to also have no clue where he was. How is this when he has an alt mode that is clearly from the past 30 or so years?(meaning he had to have awakened recently in order to take on the SR 71 form)

2. Optronix_prime

Optronix_prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When the plane went out of service they probably just had it stored somewhere for a long time (so he went to sleep) and then they eventually moved him to a museum, without him knowing.

3. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Bad writing.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    THIS^^^ is what makes since and how I took it.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think the bit was that he was old, and old people get confused easily.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

He hasn't been to Cybertron in a long while most likely. He probably isn't sure about WHEN he is either. For all he knows he may have been sleeping for 10,000 years.

7. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

considering he has scanned a SR-71 Blackbird, he was awaken somewhen in the 1960's or a bit later. He might not have flown but just scanned a new form to hide since he was lacking energon and he was also old.

8. cnic

cnic Decepticon

One of the best possibilities to define what happened. :thumbs2: 

9. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

10. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

me too

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually, if you listen to his ramblings, he's not simply confused why he's there, he's genuinely insane and seems only slightly aware of his surroundings at first. But he did end up pulling himself together. I think it was just the shock of the jump-start messed up his head for a ssecond.

No, actually, it isn't.

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Gets my vote.

13. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

its obvious that the black bird has existed for millenia.

but thats not the main issue. its not only jtfr, but all seekers. where did all these robots hide until the 20th century?

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Ever see that wheel that B.C. rides around on? That. It's what Jetfire was talking about...

Attached Files:

• bc.jpg
      bc.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Lol he didn't scan a Black Bird......The black birds were made after humans stole Jetfire's design to make weapons.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yes, of course, the writers were completely oblivious to the fact that the Blackbird isn't hundreds of years old, so it's got to be bad writing :rolleyes2 

It seems pretty obvious to me Jetfire is old and a bit of a lunatic, so that explains why he keeps rambling and is disoriented..

about the altmode: it's either the last thing he scanned before he went offline/in stasis, or as some people have pointed out (something I had not yet thought of) the Blackbird might actually be his real alt mode and humans just stumbled upon his form and copied it.

Although the first option seems more likely, seeing as he's way too slick for a Cybertronian mode, plus he has seats, :p 

17. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well if you read the book, ransack(also a seeker) is a biplane. Also in the movie when simmons shows sam various pictures of old cars....it seems the seekers adapted new, more current forms as human technology progressed.

So in short it seems that the consensus is that jetfire briefly awoke sometime post 60's to adapt the blackbird form, and then fall back into stasis

18. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'm gonna have to go with "bad over-thinking" ;) 

19. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    For starters, it was a joke to get a laugh. ;) 

Secondly, okay, so it was a joke but its also actually how I feel about many of the little issues with RotF. The movie so clearly suffers as it progresses, trying to be too many things with too many things until it ends up being, well, a blockbusting popcorn-munching summertime action flick with enough bad jokes, switching directions, unthought plotlines, edits, lack of Transformer character building dialogue, ass-pulls, and dusty sock macguffins for the majority of TF fans online to pick at in delight or disgust for some time to come.

I didn't say a thing about the writers implying they didn't know a Blackbird isn't hundreds of years old, so you can store that sad little strawman back in the shed. Save'im for the crows.

The reason I think its bad writing? Check the following response..

Well sure it is. I know in this day & age, especially depending on what genre of film you're talking about, a movie watcher such as you or I actually expecting the best possible product is something to laugh at, or roll your eyes at, etc. But that doesn't change what the deal is. And the fact of the matter is, the writing is lacking. I've never been one to need every detail explained to me on anything, hypothesis is a hobby when it comes to Transformers fiction as it is with many of our fellow fans. However for this particular item its simply amazing how one little line of dialogue from Jetfire explaining, even briefly, that something akin to...

...happened to him seems to fix any issue. So, yeah, I can honestly and rightly point out a lack on the part of the big Hollywood writers without a concern of it being just for the sake of bitching about something (which I'm not even attempting to do, just elaborating on a particular view more than anything). The best move, and its a very common script-writing tool so I'm still surprised it wasn't used, is to dismiss the issue by acknowledging it onscreen - then dismissing it in front of the audience, usually with one simple line of dialogue. But I guess every single bit of Jetfire going on about the decor on the inside of his museum resting place, shouting orders to no one, wandering the plane graveyard, farting a parachute et cetera was far more important and not one single line of it, not one single action could be cut to make way for a bit of explanation as to his situation.

Of course, that whole museum sequence from Jetfire's activation to initiating the space bridge is just a mess of similar lack of care. I'm suspicious of the writer's strike happening right around the time of that scene, actually.

Nah. 'Bad over-thinking' is a married person finding a small smudge on the bedroom mirror in the corner and rushing to the conclusion that that's where their spouse braced his/herself while bangin' someone else.

What's happening here is merely some folks noticing another lack of some form of explanation that leaves one with an unnecessary question.

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think there were alot of things they didn't explain in the movie that REALLY needed explaining, but Jetfire's alt mode wasn't one of them..at least to me.

But I've got to be careful here, because there have been multiple threads about matters unexplained that I agreed with needed explaining , and then there were people that said stuff like ' IT'S IN THE MOVIE MAN, IT'S NOT A PLOTHOLE' ...don't want to be that guy :lol 

I guess you are right though, characters questioning how he could have a Blackbird as an alt mode onscreen would have been a good writing trick..like how in scifi they sometimes explain FTL travel as ' it's not supposed to work..but well, I don't know how it works, but it works!' . :)