A question for those who own MP-10 (or those in the know)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by haventgrownup, Nov 12, 2011.

1. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

So, I was viewing several reviews of this figure because I was beginning to consider it (and ignore the ridiculous price tag), but some questions came up:

Roller has the clear light-dome, but DOESN'T have an LED in it?
    No launcher for Roller?
    No firing missiles from drone?
    No light-up ANYTHING on this release?
    What are the perpendicular partial walls on the opened trailer halves?
    Anything electronic on the set?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    No electronics. No projectiles.

3. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I'm going to answer most of your questions in one go with a simple "No, there's no electronics on the figure at all". Just because a figure had a clear part does not mean there should be light coming from it.

If I understand your question correctly, the walls on the walls of the trailer are for weapon storage capabilities.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

These two people are right. Additionally, there's no launcher for roller.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No lights, no sounds, no projectiles, and no launcher.

The two partial walls you speak of are for a few things. They hide the weapons and drone cokpit thing when the trailer is closed. When the trailer is in repair bay mode you can stand the gun and energy axe in them or you can use them as platforms for Spike to stand on. That's it.

The only gimmicky thing on the trailer is when you move the support arms out at the bottom, the feet on them extend with automorph.

Even without all of that stuff it is a really great figure and if you love G1 Prime and have the cash, this is the version to get.

6. haventgrownup

I'm not going to read too much into this quote. You're right, but then Roller did have a blinking light (on the original cartoon) where that clear plastic is. And, would it have been that difficult or large to give customers an LED?

I'm not trying to be negative, it just seems like an expensive pill to swallow. At some point (after Grimlock?), the Masterpiece line jumped considerably in price. I thought this would have all of the bells and whistles (given that this was supposed to be an improvement over version 1 - which HAD electronics and gimmicks), but I suspect that TT will do that in later runs. And, the launcher or missiles? Seems like the precedents and blueprints are already there...

Anyhow, yes, it is nice. I wish there were a much cheaper way to get just the cab. Because for what they seem to be charging for the trailer and roller is too much for such a static part.

Maybe I'll get some decent money for the boxes and boxes of Classics and G1 toys.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The trailer's walls are meant for weapon storage? I never noticed that until I read this thread. I just chuck the energon axe in there. I much prefer to keep the Ion Blaster stored in Prime's backpack since that's where he kept it in the comics.

8. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Actually a blinking light on Roller would have been a nice touch, shame they didn't think of that.

Do you own MP-01/04? If you don't have a MP Prime already, that should make getting MP-10 an easier decision. I haven't bitten on MP-10 yet, partly due to owning MP-01, partly due to price, but largely personal taste. To me it feels like there's a lot missing from MP-10. I'm not someone who transforms and plays around with figures much, I mainly have them as display pieces, so the whole hype over MP-10 being fun to play with isn't important to me. But details like wrist comms and light-up matrix and hands that retract into the arms like the toon (with axe that replaces the hand, not just clips over it) are what make MP-01 superior for me.

There will probably be a Hasbro release, possibly without the trailer (and certainly for a lot less money either way) so I may bite the bullet then. TT prices for MP-10 are just a joke though.

9. haventgrownup

I just have this niggling suspicion that TT will do what they did with MP-01 and Rodimus in later runs/pressings: give us what we really want for the same price. They upped the ante on MP-01, and things like Roller's light-dome and the space for projectiles on Prime's Combat Deck Drone make me think that the second I pay nearly $300 on a toy of a character that I'm not that big a fan of, they'll release a superior version of.

Yeah, I've had a couple of versions of MP-01, a couple of iGear PP01s, an oversized Robot Masters version, etc. I guess the iGear PP01 (with some mods) will have to be the one, unless Hasbro releases a bare-bones MP-10. I wish they had a similar trailer for it/him.

Anyhow, thank you to all who replied - I got my answer(s).

10. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I was disturbed when MP-10 debuted right after they released the final MP-01!!! That is like a slap in the face to the fans supporting the MP line. I'm sure this had to pissed off those that purchased the MP-01L.

I'm up to date with the TT and Hasbro MP and this stunt they pull just deterred me from dropping $250- plus shipping for the MP-10. It's not that I don't have the money for it but I still can't justify paying that much for him. If it was at $175- then I'd have caved in. And all this argument that the inflation is due to the exchange rate, cost of raw matetisls and oil prices is absurd and ridiculous!! I paid $175- for MP-04 and to pay over $250- for MP-10 which is much smaller, less gimmicks and die-cast in exchange for a newer alleged designed...!

I'll pass on this and if this is the end for me then so be it!

11. mirage6530

mirage6530 Well-Known Member

and all this is y i got my mp 10 for 60 bucks lol my cousin got him and hated it so i offered him 60 bucks and he jumped all over it. i like him fine but leds would have made him alot better.

12. arhra

arhra Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that most of the (US) price increase is primarily down to the exchange rate. Remember that TakaraTomy produce (and price) their products for the Japanese market, not for export.

A quick look at wikipedia tells me that MP-04 was released in 2006, when the JPY/USD exchange rate was in the ¥110-120 range, whereas now it's more like ¥75-80 or so. That alone accounts for the price difference you're complaining about (ie, $175 in 2006 and $250+ in 2011 both convert to around ¥20k).

13. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Speak for yourself. I don't regret buying either.

14. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

It's not just about relative costs though. It's simply that this is a plastic toy of Optimus Prime, which is no bigger/better/more complicated than, say, Ultimate Movie Op. There's no justification for it to cost 2 or 3 times as much.

Imagine going on the street with MP-10 and asking random non-fans what they think the toy in your hand is worth. They're not gonna say $250! Most of them will probably guess between $60 to 100. (I'm converting for convenience here; in the UK MP-10 is about £170 ish, but to a layman on the high street you'd be pelted with vegetables for asking that! :lol ).

I think calling the line 'Masterpiece' has genuinely had a psychological effect on collectors and made them willing to pay more.

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I'm with you on not being a big fan of the character, but so far no MP re-release has more things than the original release. MP Rodimus 2.0 has zero new things over the first release, and so on.

And please [this is not going towards you], after nearly two months of release and several topics around this, is the complaining about the price starting to resurface again?

Break both MP04 and MP10 to pieces, MP10 has many more parts. MP4 locked it's production price in 2003-2005, MP10 in 2011. The exchange rate is much, much worse.

And so on. I'm not a fan of many things of this release--the fact that they announced it after a final re-release of MP-01, the price, and so on. I don't even have the figure, but I understand why it costs so much. Can't you?

16. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I seriously do not think it is the end for MP01 mold, they may have other ideas regards to this & am just wondering what other funky ideas TakaraTomy will come out again for this MP01 mold.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

In spite of the lack of electronics, MP-10 really is a spectacular figure.

18. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I'm with you - there's no way that Takara's MP line can unf-ck themselves with me. I'm liking the looks of the IGear ones.

19. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    ^ No... pls explain! @ knight

20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Show them a G1 Optimus Prime, ask them how much it costs. Do you think anyone is going to think $80 (what the last domestic reissue sold for). Collector's items are going to run more.

Though I do disagree, I think MP-10 is more complicated than Ultimate Prime.