a question for those familiar with multiple types of mp3 players

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've got a really old -2004- mp3 player that's full of 40gigs of music that I originally had the cd's for, but have now sold (to pay for a hdd to back up said music). what I've noticed is that I don't enjoy the tunes as much because I don't listen to them as "albums" anymore, and this thing has a little b+w lcd screen, and can only display text.

what I'm looking for is a new player, only for music, I'm not concerned with video playback, internet, etc, that I can somehow get the album covers onto. now let me say that I've never actually had an iPod, and don't feel like I should have to pay to get the artwork onto my player, but I've got no idea if this is a common thing that people do or how to do it.

so is album art something that all players can display these days, and how would I get the covers for my old cds--are there archives, free downloads, or would I have to resort to shady means to do so. any recommendations for players that are really good for just music and have good, intuitive interfaces would be great.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    All players can display album art now. If you rip your CD's with Windows Media Player, it can simply pull the album art from the internet.

For music I pulled before discovering this, I use a program called iTunes Art Importer. It pulls runs in conjunction with iTunes and uses Amazon.com to pull cover art for songs. I select an album, tell Art Importer to find the cover and then it automatically finds matching artwork.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

anyway to do this without iTunes? I'm thinking I'm probably not going to get an ipod, but either something from creative or microsoft.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Then try Media Monkey. It's free and allows you to manage your music collection as a whole, including adding album art.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

5. turbovf1s

turbovf1s Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i use creative stuff. (zen v plus and a 2 gig stone) love 'em. good for art work and not using apple stuff. plus they have radios and voice recording built in.

6. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I was an apple detractor for the longest, but I started with an 80gb classic and I've been hooked ever since. iTunes is also not that bad once I got used to it. I had creative zen before and didn't really like it to much. I only wish apple would allow me to have custom eq's.

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Sandisk's Sansa View line is really good. I personally went with a Cowon D2 myself. The only reason on both is 1: FM tuner, 2: expandable SD card slot for more space and 3: Album Art. You can find both through Amazon. I have used Creative's Zen line (enjoyed as well), but for the user interface, I just work better with the Cowon and Sansas.

And definitely get Media Monkey and purchase the cheap license like the others have said, if you're not a fan of Itunes, its the way to go.