A question for the Limeys...about U.S. TV shows

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Sep 11, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I grew up during a time when the only British programming available was on Public Television (PBS).
    i got migraines from trying to grasp these shows. seriously, it's English, but encrypted.
    over time i learned how to adapt and picked up some of the terminology. but even today, i get thrown by a few terms.

my question to our UK members is this: when watching American shows being imported to you, do you have similar problems?
    and if you can think of it, what are some examples of things that really throw you for a loop?

Seriously, i just have to know for all the nights as a kid watching in confused amazement Red Dwarf and Tom Baker's Doctor Who episodes, if there was a little British kid watching H.R. Pufnstuf and saying, "bloody hell?"

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The accents I can understand fine, but 75% of the 80s references in post-cancellation Family Guy make no sense to anyone outside North America. It's also complete crap. Additionally, mentioning things like '401K' makes about as much sense to us as 'National Health Service' does to Americans so I guess it works both ways.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Firstly - lulz at being called a 'limey'. I'll call you a 'septic' :p 

The language presents no problems for me, after all we have a hell of a lot of American programs over in the UK. The cultural concepts are the ones that stumble me - when I first started watching American shows, one of the things that most confused me was whenever a character didn't have enough money to get medical treatment. With the NHS, you might have to wait for years, but you get it in the end.

Also, I belong to a generation of British children that learnt lots of stuff from Sesame Street, and thus pronounce the letter Z as 'zee' rather than 'zed.'

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Generally I grew up on plenty of American shows as well as British ones. Pretty much the only things that regularly don't work for me are jokes or references to American celebrities or politicians that we don't really know of here.
    I've also noticed, in fiction and in real life stuff on telly, that Americans seem to know more about their country and history than British people do about over here. Or maybe that's just me.

My girlfriend's American and last year I showed her all the episodes of Life On Mars (the original British version of course) and spent most of the time when we were watching it having to explain the considerable use of British slang terms in the show. It was one of those weird times when the differences between our childhood knowledge bases were highlighted. That and she just can't figure out how our traffic roundabouts work. :p 

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reverse happens when I watch Top Gear (I'm Canadian) and they make references to old British tv shows and politicians.

Most SIARPCs I'm okay with though.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I googled "Limey" to make sure i wasn't calling you Brits something awful.
    (like i didn't know what a "pommy" was. eesh.)
    you can call me anything you want, except Yankee. I am not a Yank/Yankee. I am a Southerner, lol. Yankees play baseball in NY and live outside of the good part of America, LOL.

I must admit tho, most of the time i spent watching AbFab, i was kinda drooling over Saffron. then laughing at the physical comedy.

(still, one day, i am going over there and asking someone to explain why i love Time Bandits so damn much, yet i still can't tell you it's funny.)

And i really miss Spittin' Image beyond words. you guys gave us- me- one helluva satire there.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I love Family Guy.