A question for the haters re: juvenile humor

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DarthCrusher, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the most common complaints that I have seen in the various threads about how horrible the movie supposedly is is that the humor was very juvenile. Commonly cited examples of this are Jetfire farting, dogs humping, Leo getting his balls tazed, Simmons in a thong, Sam's mom getting accidentally stoned, and, of course, Devastator's suggestively-placed wrecking balls. I can, as a Transformers fan, understand these complaints to a certain degree.

However, as a member of the moviegoing public, I see little problem with this humor. Most of the general public finds it funny, if the laughter of the people in my theater was any indication. If people don't think that the theatre I was in is a valid example, how can you explain the success of films such as Borat, Pineapple Express, and Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle? The only major thing I see wrong with this humor being in a Transformers movie is it alienating parents who desperately want to shelter their children from the often inappropriate nature of reality (no offense meant to any of these people- I know people like this and they are good people, even if I don't necessarily agree with them).

My question for the haters is this: if the humor in both films was so terrible, what kind of humor would make the films better and more sophisticated? Please use specific examples (for instance, "Character X would say ______, and Character Y would _______"). Keep in mind that the humor would have to appeal to a wide audience (in other words, don't suggest that the films use humor that caters exclusively to longtime fans, as the general audience won't have a clue what's going on) and that removing all humor (as has occasionally been suggested) would alienate quite a few people. Besides that, humor has always been an integral part of Transformers, going back as far as all the corny puns and the Decepticons' brief drunken stint in the original cartoon.

What do you all think?

MODS: If this thread dissolves into arguments and flame wars, please lock it immediately. I don't want to contribute to all of that. I just want to have a good-natured debate about how people think the movieverse humor should be.

2. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I completely agree with you.

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

4. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I dont mind the humor at all, I liked it. But more horrible puns yes.

:bends steel beam:
    Thundercracker: Great working with ya Starscream.
    Brawn: What do ya mean workin'?! Looks more like stealing to me. And I'm talking STEEL!

5. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely, I had no problem with the farting, the highness or the innuendos AND I'M OFTEN THE ONE BEING CALLED A PRUDE BY MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

The only thing I had a problem with are the twins... I'm over the racial thing but they still just annoy me.

All I can say is Epps should've said 'Well that's rude' after Lennox said 'Nope, didn't say goodbye' but I guess it would overdo it a bit.

jD001

6. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I love that movie.

7. polystyleneman

polystyleneman Well-Known Member

Well you just went ahead and won the thread before it even got started..... :) 

8. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    There should have been a part where Optimus was getting chased and then just the back half of him transforms into his legs and he would spray really chunky oil all over the road from between his legs then he would say "Take that Decepti-Sh**"

Then when Megan fox walked out for the first time all the Autobots and Decepticons should have had like pop out guns or sword pop out, then bumblebee's eyes would pop way out and make like a fog horn noise.

Then at the end before prime pulled of the fallen's face he should have like pulled all the metal from the waist down on the fallen and we would see that he had like metal butt cheeks in there and then he could have stuck the sword in there and the fallen would be all like Ahhhhhh but then smile a little before Prime pulled his face off.

God that would have been awesome. What do yo say Michael? Am I hired or what oh dood dood I had aother idea! OMG A Decepticon that turns into a bra, you see where I'm going with this Bay-man! WOOHOO HOLLYWOOD HERE I COME!

9. 1govnor1

1govnor1 Giggidy

I don't have any problems with the humor at all. It was done to get quick, instant reaction from the audience. If parents really want to shelter their kids, the only way to do so would be to lock them in their rooms without any contact to the outside world. The kids will see/hear/experience a lot worse on TV, online and in high school. And parents should let their kids know not to take things seriously from a movie about giant robots.

10. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    What if we hated the humor and hate any movie that relys so heavily on such humor? I don't care if it's dogs, little robots, or college students. Humping is not really funny... Ditto on being ignorant goof offs like Skids and Mudflap.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And all those were R-rated films aimed at adults as their target audience. They're not promarily fueled by a children's toyline. Vulgar humor isn't the only humor after all. Look at Wall E, The Incredibles, and Iron Man. Alot of humor in those very successful films that wasn't vulgar all the time. Also, you're comparing two comepletely different genres.

Heaven forbid that parents don't want their very young children hearing nut sack jokes, right. (I'm talking like 7 and youngers here).

Again with the haters line of thought, but to answer your question. It isn't so much the use of vulgar humor, but the complete over-reliance on it. The vulgar humor charges at you like a freight train and doesn't end until the cherry on top that is Devie's balls.

I agree. Humor has always been in Transformers fiction, but that humor was occasional and used moderately. Humor is meant to relive tension, not as an excuse to fill up time inbetween explosions and car chases.

My problems with the humor isn't the use of the occasional vulgar joke. I laughed at Devie's balls, but by the time of that particular joke it was just too much. I was on overload and felt like I was watching Borat rather than Transformers.

12. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen sarcasm taken that far. Isn't there an unwritten rule that sarcasm can only last for one or two lines? lol.

13. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *After reading the quoted comment*

:confused2 

jD001

14. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Dedication to the craft my man :D 

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I actually laughed at Jetfire's flatulence.

*hides in corner*

16. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

The humor was juvenile, but I prefer that over the vulgar humor a movie like Borat has. You have to remember that this movie is being made not just for Transformers fans. It's being made for a larger audience in hopes of gnerating a profit. There is going to be some elements as Transformers fans we might not like, for the sake of attracting a general audience. The target audience for this movie is the teens, young adults, and up to mid 30's. Some of the parents might be upset but when you target a movie at kids you lose alotof the adult movie oers. Transformers still beat Ice Age on it's opening weekend. My 7 year old went, but he knows better than to repeat the language he heard. To this day he has not uttered a single bad word he heard in the movie. He found the leg humping funny, but doesn't really know why the adults laughed at it. Hasn't even asked about it, and he is a very smart 7 year old. He will be going into gifted in the fall.

17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Agreed. Also I don't see anything funny or meaningful about dogs humping. It's a jarring image that pulls you out of the film, not humor. Even if you know that a film is pg-13 you don't expect that kind of thing to be in it.

18. Lady Owl

Lady Owl Decepticon Art Slave

Farting jokes I usually dislike. South Park does it ok but Jetfire's was just *eye roll* for me.

Some of the farting jokes were so subtle you might hardly notice (Kitchen bot and Wheelie fart).

But that's the problem. It happens as if you were just standing there talking to someone and they just... fart. It isn't funny when it happens in a normal everyday fashion, especially when they're trying to make something comical out of an "old" bot's loose sphincter. I feel more bad for him then anything.

Dogs and Wheelie humping = stupid and actually kinda embarrassing... mainly because they keep it on the scenes so long and fail at making it funny. Like they want to do a joke but can't excute it properly so it is just awkward and embarrassing like "wow... I'm watching this with my boyfriend's mom, great... does the scene need to go on for like 30 seconds....".

Instead of being a joke, it becomes your two pet dogs starting to hump while you're standing there talking to your friend in your living room.

It would have been more funny if Wheelie had done it out of revenge for her burning his eye off. Like TAKE IT BITCH! *hump hump hump.... gets thrown off violently*

Devs balls weren't anything to me. Simmons thong was like hehe cute funny chuckle. Sam's mom was actually funny. I really don't know why people hated that one so much. Leo was funny... I actually keep forgetting about that one.

Truthfully I don't really care even though it "seems" like I'm making a big stink over this. I'm just adding in my cents to participate here but honestly I'll just sit there and completely forget about the dumb stuff while I am laughing at the funny stuff and watching the cool fight scenes. Stupid things don't ruin movies for me.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I disliked the pot joke because it was just horrible. I work in academia, and the idea that some middle age woman is going to buy pot brownies out in the open at one of the most prestigious universities in the country is laughable. She wanders off for five minutes off screen and finds someone selling them with perfect little labels printed on the baggies. Give me a break. Now if the brownie was wrapped in tinfoil and she said some guys was giving them away, then the joke would been plausible. But Bay's humor is about as subtle as a brick hitting you in the head.

Regardless, she was funny as hell all high and shit.

20. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    What about Kate Winslet's nudity in the PG-13 Titanic? The two F-Bomb's in the PG-13 Ghost Town? What about the full ass-shots in Mask of Zorro, I-Robot, The Breakup, etc? What about the animal cracker dance on Liv Tyler's breast in the PG-13 Armageddon? What about the cornocopia of sexual humor in the PG-13 Accepted?

My point is it that movie studios have been pushing the envelope for years, and the movie-going public KNOWS it. There is/should be an expectation of risk when approaching this rating. I keep coming back to Titanic. That scene blew my mind, I was so taken back by it that it forever made me question the content and appropriateness of this rating for young children (research helps before choosing to see a movie with young ones). Titanic was in 1997? That's 12 years ago! Children under 13 were not even born when that movie came out! To say that anyone should not expect this type of content (sexual, juvenille, grotesque, etc.) in a PG-13 film is a little near sighted.

However, where I will give you some props (just some) is that maybe parents would not have expected this type of content in a movie marketed for children. The actual movie's demographic is the teen, 20's, and 30's area, but the marketing campaign is for kids, thus broadening their audience.

In contrast, I still believe that, while juvenille, the humor/content was not as offensive as many other films out there. Was it necessary to have it in there? No. Because clearly it could still be very funny without it (my favorite, funniest scene was where Sam refused to talk to Mikaela because he was the victim and started counting down).

Thumbs down for:
    Dogs humping
    Wheelie Humping
    Simmons Ass
    Simmons Scrotum Comment
    Twins (95%)

Thumbs up for:
    Devs Wrecking balls (clever)
    Leo getting tazed and hit in the nuts (hated him)
    Mom's Drug tirade
    Twins calling Leo a p*ssy..HAHA!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.