A Question for fellow ebay sellers

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Tyjos, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well I got a negative [first one I've gotten] tonight.

I've been selling Transformers out of my collection the past month or so and of course the last couple months as well.

This buyer, that I sold too has a rather bad track record of buying stuff and leaving neg feedback and this and that.

I refunded their money told them the listing was incorrect and the shipping was incorrect. They still left me a negative, they messaged about saying I'm supposed to ask them before I give a refund.

I ask my fellow sellers this, why should I ask them when I know the auction was wrong since it sold immediately after I listed it and was allowed no time to revise it. So technically knowing this, I haven't done anything wrong to deserve a neg feedback. I sent a Feedback revision request to the buyer also a detailed message explaining what the problem is....

I guess this is another one of those "You can't make people happy no matter what you do"

I just want to know what the other ebay sellers here on the forum think of this situation.

I've been having a great streak going with sales it's just I hate it when I run into these buyers...

And I'm about tired of selling on ebay too....high fees and dealing with shipping out a dozen items a week or so.

Edit:

This happened too when I am listing a few listings right after the other, ebay likes to leave the settings for the previous one so that's a case of what happened here apparently in my usual bulk listings.

I think I've done everything properly in this situation, messaging the buyer,stating the problem and reason for the refund.....I see no reason for them to give a Negative feedback.

2. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    well technically there is a ebay function...buried somewhere in the site map where you have to "ask permission to cancel a transaction"

this text below is copy and paste from their resolution center FAQ area:

You'll need to go to the Resolution Center. You can get there any time by clicking Resolution Center at the bottom of most eBay pages. If you go to the Resolution Center from your listing in My eBay, your item number will be filled in on the form for you:

Go to My eBay. You may be asked to sign in.

Click Sold.

Next to your listing, select Resolve a problem from the drop-down menu.

The Resolution Center – Resolve a problem form appears.

Select I sold an item and want to cancel the transaction and click Continue.

Sign in to your account. The Cancel a transaction form appears.

If you get to the Resolution Center from your item listing, your item number is already filled in.

If you get there another way, enter your item number and click Continue.

Under Give the buyer a reason for wanting to cancel this transaction, indicate your reason for canceling and then click Continue.

so technically ebay wants you to ask the permission of the buyer...so they probably will not do shit to get a negative feedback reversed if you did not follow the "ebay procedure" for canceling a transaction and did a straight refund....

I had to cancel a few transactions because of a paypal issue a few months ago...did straight refunds...got a neutral feedback..contacted paypal and ebay...was told to pound sand...so good luck

3. Sochie

Sochie Well-Known Member

Honestly? I wouldn't stress it. You could always do the conflict resolution via eBay and try to have it resolved, but it doesn't seem like it's worth it. These chronic "pissy" eBayers that leave negatives for any little slight are hard to fight against. One negative won't kill you in the long run, but if you're worried about your feedback, dispute it.

I'm sorry you got one of "those" though. I've been lucky thus far, and the last time I had someone like that was a LONG time ago. Then again, I just jinxed myself now ><

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    So what was wrong that you couldn't sell it?

5. Tyjos

Twitter:
    I just had the stuff wrong on the shipping but right now I'm saying SCREW IT and pretty much might start dealing with some of my regular BETTER customers that I have on a few forums and I think after I get through with this round of selling, I'm done with ebay.

It's no longer a seller's market, we as a sellers have no protection almost against this sort of thing but I think that anyone can look at that person's feedback that left a negative and can tell they're just bad news, it's buyers like that that that have that bad a rep for leaving neg for others that send up too many red flags with me.

Yep, these things happen so I'll eventually recover from this [feedback wise] so one neg shouldn't bother me at all anyway.

6. TheToyAddict

TheToyAddict Well-Known Member

Well, probably not what you want to hear, but it is your responsibility to make sure the listing is correct before you list it. If you screwed up the shipping, then you should have just eaten it and shipped the item. Unless you were selling a Fort Max and had the shipping cost for a minicon you probably were not going to be out more then a few bucks. Hardly worth getting a negative over. Just chalk it up to "cost of doing business" and move on. Just do what many sellers do and build in 25 cents or so to your "shipping and handling" charge and put it into a "kitty" to cover things like this or damages, lost packages, etc. and then it's no big deal when it happens. However, the negative is the least of the problem. If the buyer reports you for "Seller Non-performance" you can get suspended from Ebay. They frown on sellers not following through with a sale. It is definitely a pro-buyers market on Ebay.

Just as an FYI, it is pretty typical for buyers to leave negatives when the sellers don't follow through on a sale. That is pretty much SOP on Ebay. Another reason to make sure you carefully look over your listing before you post it.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sellers will press the matter if a buyer doesnt pay for an item (unless somehow they come to an understanding). Its only fair that the buyers can also leave a negative if the sellers choose not to sell the item. Its a binding contract both ways.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty much my feeling. I've messed up my listings before too but got lucky in terms of who bought it so that my shipping fees weren't crazy. I once put up a listing with a quantity of 2 items but only put that shipping would be $X without adding more on for the second item. Luckily I didn't get screwed but I would have honored the shipping amount even if I had to send the item clear across the country and it cost me an arm and a leg.

Having open lines of communication makes for smoother transactions. I dunno if you had contacted him before if it would have made a difference but it's easier to swallow bad news if you sort of know it's coming.

9. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

The best course of action was to message the buyer before refunding the money. Most times people understand if you word your message the right way. Both buyer and seller could have come up with a solution for both parties to be satisfied and happy with the transaction. Open communication is the key to be successful on ebay. Try to dispute the negative feedback if you really care about it, but if ebay does not take it away, you can always post an explanation under the negative feedback. One negative doesn't deter any potential buyers. Just be careful on how and what you include on your listings in the future. My two cents....

10. Tyjos

Twitter:
    Well after selling on ebay the past 3 months I'm ready to just quit....the fees are getting higher and I am tired of ebay....

Plus the way it is, it's no longer well a regular seller's market they want you to follow all their rules this and that , and this and that yet buyers can screw you over anyway since we can't leave neg feedback for buyers yet they can do that......higher fees, lack of any real seller protection on ebay, I'm to the point I'm ready to really just get out of ebay.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The fees do suck. I'm not too sure what you mean about lack of any real seller protection.

12. Tyjos

Twitter:
    We as a Seller cannot leave Negative Feedback for buyers.

That to me is the crappiest thing they ever did was removing that feature. So literally it's no defense against that there. Plus with the way ebay's system is now set up the buyer can do more to screw you over.

It's just literally crazy my last 2 months of fees have been about $150 and $100 of ebay fees from all the auctions and listings I've had. Plus Paypal's fees they take about $2-$3 out of your sales at times....it's like shit they're just trying to bleed us sellers dry with that.

So I will be GLAD to be through selling on ebay and just sell on forums.

Oh Mods you can close this thread I feel that this thread no longer needs to continue....so just lock and move on.
    thanks.

13. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it depends on how you messed up the listing.

If you put a fortmax on there for a $50 BIN then tried to cancel it saying "Oh crap I messed up" then ya I can see the buyer freaking out. (this is an extreme case of course, but you get my point I'm sure.)
    If it was something to help out the buyer then he should not have left you a neg.

But the key is communication. Even with bad buyers (God knows I've found them) As long as you are very communicative you will avoid the vast majority of problems. Communicate, and be perfectly honest.

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I guess i misunderstood you then. Protection to me is being able to prove you shipped something and you can do that if you ship to the address provided and have proof of shipping, delivery.

The fees are horrible, even selling on the board you will have paypal fees.

Selling on the board is preferable, but you just dont have as many who will be looking at your items that are for sale. It takes longer to sell off things.

15. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I very rarely have negatives now but if I do I block the buyer and move on. I am also very careful on saying anything is in mint condition as the mint psychos will go crazy every time.

Sellers get screwed so bad from Ebay I'm really surprised people haven't found another alternative. The fees are outrageous and as a seller I will be damned if I don't try and lay that cost back on the buyer with higher shipping costs. Thank goodness for the USPS label printing that doesn't show the postage you charged because I got really sick of buyers complaining about shipping.

It's amazing how many people expect exact shipping that is on the package like materials, my time and gas are expected for free.

16. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I hear ya. That's why it's called shipping AND handling. Unless I'm using a flat-rate box, the item requires a box. That costs money. Not to mention packing materials are necessary. That factors into the shipping and handling costs. Some buyers just don't understand or sympathize with the sellers. Admittedly, though, the fees are what drive the shipping and handling costs up too. Ethical or not, sellers try to get some of the fees back via shipping.

17. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Similar thing happened to me. I don't sell via ebay often, so I listed a bunch of stuff and by the time I got done I realized I had made some errors. But in that short time (literally 5 minutes) there were some bids and I had to honor them. I lost money on the deal, but it was my fault.

The worst...the worst thing was after selling a shitload of toys I sent one to the wrong buyer. So I had to refund the correct buyer, and pay the ebay/shipping fees. He left neutral feedback.

18. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

some ebay buyers are really taking advantage of the fact ebay sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore.

it's got to the point where the buyer is the boss on ebay & the seller is the employee on ebay.

some ebay buyers are kinda mean & try to extort stuff or they'll leave a negative feedback.

19. Tyjos

Twitter:
    I can't wait to escape from ebay's evil grasp.......

I mean sure it's a nice thing to use but now these days the final value fees on Buy It Now options is INSANE! I'm tired of the fees, tired of the people in overseas countries who keep asking "Will you ship Italy or some other country seller?" in broken english....all I reply to those is with "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING"

there is no way to block people from contacting you through ebay too, so I mean ebay's got plenty of problems best thing I can do about those folk who keep asking me those annoying questions is I block em from bidding.

20. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

If I used the BIN option alot I would seriously consider doing the item for 99 cents then putting all the cost in the shipping and handling just to not let Ebay screw me.

I did a BIN for an item for $29.99 and Ebay took $5 then a % of Paypal lol.....seriously wondering why people sell there anymore but I guess it is all that is out there and buyers know it is a buyers market.