A question for all collecers.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 46+2, Jan 26, 2011.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

TFirst off, if you lack the mental capacity to keep it together and not get angry, DO NOT POST.

Ok, my question is, would collecting still be fun of we all had the same toys? In other words, of we all had a fort max or a henkei wildrider etc, would it still be fun?

for me, part of the fun of collecting is having the not so commonly available toys as well as having the lastest figures we're talking about. The buying, trading and selling, its somewhat exciting. I can't count the times I browse through some of your sale threads and see something rare and pricey that I want. I love the fact that you have the gems in your collection that I don't have in mine. I don't want to mention what raised this question but I will say this, value, appreciation and short supply are not always a bad thing.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Can you clarify your question a bit more? is it if we all have ACCESS to the same toys? as in, if Fort max cost 50$, and wildrider cost 30$, would they loose the thrill of having them?

Or is it that every collector owns every piece of every transformers out there?

Even if every transformers are readily and inexpensively available, they are not economically affordable to everyone.

If the question is "would collecting have the same thrill if everyone has the entire collection?", would this question translates to "Would I still be thrilled to be rich if everyone else was rich?"

Or is it readily available?

3. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

i think it's more a matter of preference than availability and cost. i like seeing the wst stuff but i dont collect them. same for the rotf ha stuff.

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Forgive my auto spell guys! It turns words into something else.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If everyone had the same figures? I'd probably be HAPPY!

Rare, hard to find stuff... that doesn't appeal to me or my wallet but their are some figures I just must have. That's why I spent the money needed to acquire them in the first place.

BUT... if everyone had the same figures, the prices would be lower, and more people could enjoy our beloved hobby for a lot longer. Which would probably benefit us more in the long run:2c: .

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    To me it would definitely still be fun. Simply because I don't care what other people have..I just buy what I like. If everybody has the same figures as me..great..means they all like what I like! :D 

I have to note I'm not interested in buying vintage/rare/expensive grail toys at all, so maybe the question doesn't really apply to me. :) 

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I can understand this too.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

If everybody dressed the same, it would be boring.
    If everybody had identical pieces in their collection, it would probably be boring too.
    Yes, we all have Jetfires, Devestators, Shockwaves, Starscreams and what not. But how many have two Kaltors in mint condition? Both black and chrome?
    Every individual should have their own unique collection that makes them happy.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would be happy, cause though now i don't have all those high end expensive toys and im happy, and i have most of the more common and im happy still :) 
    so overall im happy with what i have :) 

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Ersico, you're just a happy dude.

11. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im gonna be honest and say i dont really see the point in a lot of exclusive figures but obviously others do and thats great for them however some figures that are exclusives and a lot of g1 thats now very hard to find or expensive i wish more people had a chance of enjoying

I dont really like the whole "I own blank and nowhone else does" mentality for instance warbot defender ( or ML soundwave) i own him and he is great but i wish he was more affordable/available for more people to enjoy

Figures like botcon streetstar or the g2 dreadwing smokejumper 2 pack i dont mind being exclusive because they dont have mass appeal even in the collectors market but personally iv'e always had a chip on my shoulder for stuff like botcon thundercracker (when there was no other version) Alpha trion (who could have easily replaced universe vector prime) Though i understand the GOD set came at a time where classics wasnt going to continue

On the other hand recent items like the sharkticons, ehobby scrapheap and also ghost starscream (although now he has the KO) i think should have seen mass release there isnt much else though

I guess what im trying to say is exclusives should be very niche chracters because well they are just that exclusive therefore it makes sense for them not to appeal to too many people but be avidly pursued by the people who are intrested in it im sure however striking this balance is often hard but stuff like crystal figures (other than starsream and mirage), shattered glass, the axalon crew and g2 redux all fit this way of thinking perfectley to me

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think it would be still fun,

13. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    you have to remember too that just because everyone HAS ACCESS TO AN ITEM doesn't necessarily mean they will buy it. collections would still differ depending on personal likes/dislikes.

take lucky draw figures for example. make them available to everyone for $30 bucks. you'd still see several people without them in their collections due to some people just not liking solid color plated or clear characters, me being one of them.

so the popular figures would be in everyone's collection but you'd still have quite a bit of variance due to people's personal likes/dislikes.

14. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'd still enjoy the hobby since afterall it's the toys that interest me not having something that no one else has. Although it may be cool to have that custom figure that no one else has, it still wouldn't really change things as far as collecting goes, IMO. And of course it sure would be cool to have a FM and the Dino-cassettes more-so because they are cool toys not because they are rare and hard to find.

15. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

You bet I'd still collect. If anything I'd have more figures and it'd be more fun. I don't buy any higher priced items usually (other than MP Megatron) so I don't pick up any exclusives. I'd be super happy if everything was widely released.

16. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pretty much, im thankful for what i have and fortunate to be able to continue collectin, as for the larger pieces im missing, i would like them. but then i think of all the regualr toys i can use that money towards.. (plus fort max and some of the others..just don't do much for me..im not a big g1 person...no offense to anyone but they just arent my thang :)  )

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    THis, all of this. I'd actually be happier asi could get some of the figures that elude me due to cost and availability.

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I think rarity does make it fun. For example, if Chevy Swerve had been released at retail, he'd be an absolutely average figure, probably barely remembered by anyone. But his very unique tale of being a promotional item that wasn't even available from any promotion when we first found makes him interesting.

And even on pieces I don't own, it's cool to see other people own them. It's what sets apart their collection and makes you say, "damn, THAT guy's good." Like if I see someone with a Blue Big Convoy, I'm definitely impressed.

That's not to say it wouldn't be fun without rarity. Figures like ROTF Bludgeon, RTS Lugnut and Wreck-gar, are some of the funnest toys in my collection, and it's great that everyone with a reasonable income has access to them. But, it's always nice to have a real standout piece. Two of my favorite figures will always be Botcon Bugbite and Shokaract, cos they're so unique compared to what you'll find at retail

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A. Yes and No. Yes, as in more of us would be happier and our collections would feel complete. No, as in the lack of individuality or something that makes each person's collection unique would soon make the hobby boring.

it isn't a black or white thing to me. i don't want Sky Garry, so i don't mind it's absence from my shelf. But if GogDog has 15 of them and in various conditions, fine.

i'd respect and admire his collection more for what he has and I don't, and how he keeps it.

one other thing, i am kinda glad that we don't all have the same toys.
    not in the haves/have nots sense; but in the idea that not having a figure can motivate me to figure out how to get it.
    it creates a challenge and teaches me how to overcome it.
    i like that aspect of the hobby.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    there would still be individuality, IF the question was that everything was readily available. Because I would still not want crap on my shelves, as I don't have enough.