A question for 3D Modellers..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by bullettrain, Aug 14, 2017.

1. bullettrain

bullettrain Master Investigator

News Credits:
    Having recently picked up UW-EX Baldigus, and seeing those figures along side the rest of my RID01 collection, I've realised I'd love to have a copy of the six original Spychangers from the show, but in an updated form, much like the Unite Warriors version of Baldigus accomplishes.

As such, I'm planning to customise some Combiner Wars figures to match, but would need to create new heads and possibly weapons for each character.

So my question for modellers and designers alike who print and fabricate in personal set-ups or using a service like Shapeways, what software do you use for your designs? What would you recommend in regards to learning curve, ease of use and functionality?

Cheers!

2. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  3. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I use Tinkercad. It's free, web based, easy to use, has decent tutorials to get you started and is easy to download the stl file you need to then upload into a site like shapeways or your own slicer software.
    The tools in Tinkercad may be a bit basic for the expert designers out there but I've managed with it so far and created some pretty neat upgrades for my figures.

4. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron Big ol' Nightbeat fanboy

It'll depend on whether it's just that one project, or whether you'll get the bug and want to do loads more afterwards (it's going to be the latter; believe me, I've been there :p  )...

I started out using Sketchup; it's incredibly easy to pick up, and even the free version is reasonably powerful, although Sketchup Pro gives you access to a few tools that I consider to be vital (namely what what Sketchup called solid tools, although they're not reeeeeeeeeally solid tools, since it's still a mesh modeller).

As nonnef once said to me, though, Sketchup is basically like having training wheels on, so if you want to do more with it long-term, a proper CAD program is the way to go. Your mileage may vary on which is best for you, and there's a load of free ones out there (Omegaonline mentioned TinkerCAD; that's the one whose name I was trying to remember as a free option, 'cos I'd forgotten, so thanks Omegaonline! :p  ), but for me personally, I swear by ViaCAD Pro. It's definitely an investment, but I found it as easy to get to grips with as Sketchup, and (although it has some... idiosyncrasies) really rather powerful.

A CAD program would make it a metric ton easier to produce complex designs, so that'd be my gut instinct on what to go for, rather than a mesh modeller like Sketchup.

Hope this helps, and feel free to fire me a PM if you have any more questions (although I'll warn you now, I'm shockingly bad at remembering to log in and check 'em :lol  ).

5. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

When I started I did some research and found Autodesk's free product, Fusion 360 to have the simplest learning curve. It actually is very easy to learn and use, and has an simple, clean interface.

I began using it earlier this year to make accessories that I wanted for my figures and to make available on Shapeways, and have since moved on to making replacement parts for custom figures, like you want to do.

You can check out my latest project, which I've been documenting the process of in this thread. Here in this post I link all of the youtube videos I've used in learning to use the software.

It's very easy to get started. I made my first project very quickly.