A question about trade-in's.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I've been thinking of getting rid of more games; a few weeks back I brought 7 old games in to EB Games and got a 9$ per game store credit value.

I've been trying to find out info on what the best time to get the most $$$ in-store credit for trade ins would be, but so far no luck.

Are there any other Canadians or Savvy Peeps in general who could tell me what kind of deals to look out for and which ones maximize my trade-in value? Also; do they accept old Game Accessories? I've got this GBA SP Headphone dealie I never once used, primarily because I don't have a GBA SP. My brother opened to the stupid thing though to see if it would work as ordinary headphones, but seeing as how they wouldn't he didn't touch'em. They still have the full packaging too; and are pretty much almost sealed.

Er; anyway, what's the deal? When's the best way to go in? Help a fellow gamer out... If you please.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    avoid trade-ins. sell online either through ebay, or this places' junkion exchange. you'll actually make some decent money off the stuff that way.

EBgames should still take GBA accessories, but they won't pay you more than a dollar or two for any.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Sometimes Gamestop will have a deal where they will give you an extra $10 of store credit for every 3 games you trade in. That's the only time I would even consider trading games at that store.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

trade-ins are a 100% waste of cash. you need to trade something like 5 games plus a gba to get a ds for half price. that's a terrible deal.

5. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

I know when ths PS2 came out, I traded my Dreamcast +8 games, PS1 +30 some games, and my N64 + the 7 games I had for it, and bought the PS2 package that came with GT3 and they paid me $25. I later found out that the PS2 that I got with that deal was a refurbished system that had the Infamous overheating problem. Now I regret getting rid of some of the systems and games.

6. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I would never trade in 3 systems and 45 games for 1 system and 1 game.

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Some of us can't use EBay, so trade ins are the best we've got. And you can trade 3 games for one new one as long as the 3 meet certain criteria.

8. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Which criteria?

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

"These games are still so new and/or popular that you could sell them for $30 a pop elsewhere."

Sometimes I will trade games at a game store if I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of other channels, but I know I'm not getting nearly as much for them as I should be. Selling games online is much wiser, really. Why take $4 from EB for something that people are willing to pay $20 for?

I will say this. Back in college there was an independent game store in my town, just a mom and pop type place. The guy that ran it wasn't interested in turning huge profits on used games, so he would buy them for their actual value and then only mark them up a couple of bucks to get his cut. It wasn't unusual for EB to offer me $7 for something and I'd take it over to that guy and he's offer me $35. Eventually I just started taking everything to him first. You might want to check around and see if there are any independent game stores in your town that might pay better than the big boys. It's no guarantee (the indie store in the town I live in now sucks), but it's worth a shot if you can't go the ebay route.

10. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

EBs and Gamestops have 10 bucks extra for every 4 games thing, and they also give you 10% more if you have the discount card.

The other day a guy walked in with 20 games - mostly old junk with a few decent ones mixed in - and made full use of both these deals. Just for having 20 games he got an extra 50 bucks. He walked out with about 260 in credit.

Oftentimes a single game or two won't get as much value, but when they do deals like this it can tend to add up....particularly when that crappy old copy of Tony Hawk 3 can help get you an extra 10 bucks.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Good idea, but doesn't help me all that much right now. I have only a year and a half before I become old enough to get an E-Bay account, and the only games I own now that I don't intend to keep indeffinately will give me at least that much play time.