A Question About This Forum

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by leomemorial, Mar 12, 2009.

1. leomemorial

leomemorial Member

Hi,

I'm a huge Transformers fan and found this forum thanks in part to my boyfriend.

It seemed like a great place to be and especially a positive site for Transformers lovers.

Only the longer that he showed me this place, the more I became a bit .. shocked.

I find it amazing that a website and board would be dedicated to everyone that loves Transformers. And while I fully understand that everyone cannot be friends on here, or that everyone will get alone ... what I do not like is how there seems to be a huge clique on here.

Certain people that have been a member here for YEARS and participating in discussions getting totally ignored because it seems that they cannot spend 14 hours per day on this board then 10 hours coming over for pizza to certain people's homes.

So is this board for "certain people" or is it supposed to be for "elite" tfw2005.com people?

Please let me know.

By the way... I'm enjoying my new Waspinator. Gee, I would tell you where I got it but I'm not sure if I fall into you "elite group" of special people here.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    i find post enough things they eaver get anoyed and have to answer you or at least acknowlage you or if your like me with terreble grammer you get all the intiontion in the world.

but all in all i say we except everyone just have to love transformers

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Certain people have FULL IMMUNITY.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, i see the ignoring all the time, and the flaming if people don't like something or if they do, i just post my 2 cents, and usually never look back on a thread after, i'm not an "elite either, i just like transformers, by the way welcome to the boards, my fiancee will be on here soon as well....oops lol

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That certainly seems like a lose-lose situation.

I'm curious where you see such an extreme behaviors to be sufficient to make that a generality of the forums? I mean this in all honesty. I don't think there's a single person here who would count me as an inner clique member, so it's not like I'm on the inside asking about how the outside sees it, I'm just as much on the periphery as anyone else, so for my own enlightenment, I'd like to see an example or two if that's possible of the extreme favoritism. Sure, there are are a few threads that are more frequented from actual friends on the boards then others, but those (IMHO) are the extreme minority.

Perhaps you're speaking of how some users seem to be ignored when they post near unreadable posts. If that's the case, you'll find that happens often on most forums, as since we can't know any other user except how they write, when they write poorly, it's hard to decipher, read, and respond to them properly. Additionally, on a board where this is our "fun" time, who wants to spend the time trying to understand what someone wrote when there's real content to be found? The franchise also attracts a wide variety in ages, so some who have never learned to properly communicate may find themselves shut out in some threads due to their poor skills.

There are also posts that are in violation of the rules, which are ignored by many members because they know the thread will be moved or deleted, so they simply pass over it knowing that a moderator will address it once they become aware of it.

I welcome you to the board at any rate.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is no place in life where you will be free of clique mentality unless you ignore it.

Luckily, I was born far too awesome to be affected by it that much after a younger age. :D 

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People would like you and your boyfriend if y'all weren't so freaking butt-ugly.

And use some gosh-diddly-dang deodorant for once in your life.

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Hi!

That's cool, word of mouth rocks.

For the most part (ignore the movie forum).

Was it the Jesus jokes? :( 

Whew. It wasn't the Jesus jokes. That's a relief :) 

But seriously...

You can't avoid the clique mentality. Every where you go, every message board in existence, every group of people have a clique mentality. But I feel like you're using the word in a derogatory sense ... is it a clique if it's a group of people that have become friends because of a shared common interest?

I've always associated the word "clique" with high school ... the goths (now emos), jocks, band geeks, etc. ... and because they were cliques, they disliked each other. Almost like a pussy way of being a gang. But cliques seemingly DISLIKE each other.

I don't see that here. There's no way you can combat the fact that some of us have been here for nearly 10 years now. There's no way you can erase the friendships forged between people who have been a fan and have made it out to conventions. You can't erase that -- are those cliques, or just circles of friendships? I'd say friendships, the only reason someone would call it a clique is if they feel intimidated.

So, in your eyes, people that have been here for years and are friends are fat (the pizza comment) nerds that have nothing better to do with their life, while people who are brand new are physically fit normal people seeking mild interaction with Internet folk?

Glad to know we're starting off on a good foot :) 

For starters, if your boyfriend is being ignored in a conversation and is upset about it, he should really look at how he's contributing to the conversation. I find that more people are "ignored" when they make the exact same statement as someone else, or if their statement is a "Well, duh" type of statement. When there's nearly 35,000 members on the boards, you really got to find a way to make yourself stand out positively -- by adding good points to conversations, starting thread conversations, etc.

Hoping someone quotes your post in the movie forum when all you do is agree with someone else isn't really going to get you popularity votes, since that's how you apparently view it.

I'm sorry you and your boyfriend don't feel you fit in.

Wow. Bitter much? Are you sure you're not an alt ID who was previously banned? ;) 

9. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a good thing there is to olfactory component to the internet. I'd pay to keep that bit of technology away.

As far as clichés go: this is a Transformer site so if you want to fall into the drama of a geek-cliché, be my guest. A geek is a geek no matter what cliché they belong to. Lurk for a while and you'll know who to avoid. Avoid certain threads as well (almost anything in the movie forum) and this place is great. People who take toys too seriously are scary.

This place has been my one stop shop for TF news since 06. I joined in 07, and became a supporter in 08. I like it here, and welcome to you and your boyfriend. Wipe your feet please.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This place ain't exactly high school, but there are cliques.
    hell, people here tolerate each other's B.O. and ride to BotCon together, they carpool to movie premieres...
    we got couples who probably met here and eventually got married along the way.
    it works out that way.

the mods here are top notch as for patrolling the forums and making sure they are friendly.

but honestly, when i read your post, i was offended- your last remark alone was enough for me to label you a noob and ignore you.
    But i won't.

when i first started here, i was a grammar nazi because i wasn't thinking about how f-in big this community really is. I attacked folks for bad grammar not realizing the dude was from Singapore or South America. i am amazed i wasn't reprimanded or booted off for that. now, i don't fret about it.

and if you really want to fit in here, you need to drop the defensiveness. we have our circles, but 9 out of 10 times, you can talk about anything here and they will listen.
    and even kid with you about it.
    Pravus Prime explained things rather well. so i won't bash you over the head with more of what he said.

we welcome you here. i just doubt we welcome an attitude that (to me anyway) your last remark gave off.

As for your Waspinator, i envy you. i can't find one on the shelves where i live.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Elite? Hardly. Ever been to a Botcon? (or any TF Con?) We're just a friendly bunch of Transformers geeks and nerds. I've also found TFW2005 to be one of the more friendly TF Boards on the Net. Hope you and your boyfriend find a way to fit in as it isn't that hard. :D 

12. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is a great place to be. I pop in and out during the day but sure don't spend a lot of time here all tolled. If I have something to say, I do, if not, I don't respond to everything. There are folks here who live close to each other, why not get together? That does not make a clique, it makes a piece of the TFW2005 pie. Glad you like your Wasp. If he is available in Manassas where Backscatter & I are, he is not a rare find anymore. He is kind of colorful.

:lolol :rolleyes2  OMG you are so funny!

I say if this group accepts an ol lady like me it is not hard. This is a great group of folks.

34,888 members can't all be wrong.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

[​IMG]

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hell, percentage-wise, I think folks from other countries demonstrate a more impressive command of the English language than folks from Great Americanada.

Okay, yeah, mostly America. :( 

...okay, yeah, mostly the South. :( 

Far as the OP...dude, seriously? I mean, I guess you're getting what you were after (responses), but come on. It's a big message board. I don't get hurt over the fact that there are people in Video Games or Movies or Radicons who probably have no idea who I am. Oh, well.

Just enjoy the board. Or don't. Six one half to me, and probably most of the 30K+ other members here.

15. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

hello, welcome to the board.

Personally I don't see the clique behavior you're addressing. I checked out many, many TF forums and fan boards before joining any. And I personally found this one and The Allspark to be, in my opinion, 2 of the funnest boards to be a part of. The communities are large but well managed by a great group of Mods and Admins on both boards. And though each board is filled with a surprisingly disparate group of people, from cops to 'long haired freaky people,' everyone really seems for the most part to get along just fine. Love of TF's kind of keeps everyone together, even when they disagree most of the time they'll agree to disagree. I haven't seen much outright nasty behavior or name calling, alienating of members, etc. If you want to see that, there's a couple TF boards I can think of that are actually very cold places where new people are completely ignored. This place not being one of them.

If you're the type of person who feels that every single thing they post deserves quoting and commenting on, then maybe the internet is not for you. That's just the way things work. Not everyone is going to feel the need to comment on your particular comments, especially like what was said, if you're just basically repeating something that's already been said many times over.

Like what was pointed out, the general tone of your post I just read is basically hostile, and people still seemed for the most part to overlook that and be welcoming you to the board.

So just relax, chill out and enjoy your time here. Like I said, this is one of two places that I've found to be really good places to hang out, catch up on TF news, and enjoy the feeling of comradery that comes from hanging out with other TF fans.

So again, welcome to the board, and yes, I'm jealous you've got Waspinator. I've been looking for him for a couple weeks now.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The older I get the less I care who pays attention to me. In fact many people won't read my post. And that's ok because I don't care. I post on here not to be heard, but to avoid my work. Thank you for not reading this.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I read here but I don't read everything. I reply but I don't reply to everything. I post but I expect no replies. I make generally poor jokes, but I expect no laughter (like I said, they're generally poor jokes). I log in but I don't expect to fit in.
    An internet messageboard is like a microcosm of the world. People don't talk to the people that try too hard to be talked to (usually scary weirdos on the bus). And they rarely talk to people that don't talk at all.
    It all depends what you want to get out of this place. And what you get out depends sometimes on what you put in. So, look at what you put in and what you want to get out. Maybe they're not compatible. You can either adjust those factors so they do mesh, or cut your losses and find somewhere more suited to the results you require.

Failing that there's always pie. :) 

18. dorfsquest

dorfsquest Bing B-Bing Bing!

News Credits:
    I've never even considered there being a rude group of elitests or a clique around here. I mean, I'm not exactly the longest member or highest poster but I know that the people here are all just fellow Transformers fans, and when most of my friends outside of here don't like TFs in the slightest, this is a nice place to share my geek-ridden opinion on the things that make me happy.

In other words, it's what you make of it.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Is it too late to use this?
    [​IMG]

Anyhoo, who do you listen to most: people you know or some guy you've just met and know nothing about? Answer that and you should have the answer to all your questions.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Don't worry about it. they're popping up all over. had mine for about three weeks now.