A question about the original Basic BW Rattrap Toy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dharmacon, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    So I picked up a loose Rattrap in an eBay lot a few years back that was missing the gun barrel piece. After lots of fruitless searching, I finally found a dealer that had the barrel at Botcon this weekend. When I got home and pulled out Rattrap's gun handle and slid the barrel in, it was a very loose, wobbly fit. I thought, "Maybe one of these is a KO", so I pulled out my Big Lots KO Rattrap, but the KO gun was visibly different from the "official" gun I now own. I tried to see if the gun pieces fit into his rat "shells", and sure enough they fit in perfectly. Also, the gun handle piece fits the fist hole perfectly.

I did some investigating online... Fred's Variations has no listing for any variations on Rattrap. I searched Transformersland, which has large, clear pictures of TF parts, and found their pics of Rattrap's gun pieces. My pieces look virtually identical to what TFL has pictured, right down to the injection points.

I included a picture of them below (from two different angles), and I highlighted the "problem" areas. Anyone know of any Rattrap weapon variations? And is there anyone with a complete Rattrap that can look at this picture and tell me if one of the pieces is a KO (and if so which one)?

[​IMG]

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My Rattrap bought from Target waaaaay back when, had this problem. the gun fell apart constantly. it was tight at first, but with all the seperating from storage, eventually it just couldnt hold together.

3. dharmacon

News Credits:
    In my case, it doesn't look to be a wear and stress issue, but a mold issue. I tried to push in the two "sides" in the top left photo, but there was absolutely no give. Clearly, the piece on the right was molded thinner than the space it needs to occupy on the left. Which piece is "at fault" is what I need to figure out (before I email the dealer).

Does anyone have a 1996 Rattrap near them that they could do a quick double check?

4. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'll check mine when I get home... but I have no recollection of any fit problems. I always thought it was pretty snug. Get back to you on it in a couple of hours. It might be good for you to pose this question in the BW 2010 Appreciation thread too... lot of ppl there that might have some knowledge/experience about it.

5. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Speaking of BW Rattrap, I saw a loose one at a flea market this past weekend. I didn't buy it because I thought it was a KO - I didn't see a Hasbro/Takara stamp anywhere. Can anybody tell me where the stamp is located? I thought it was inside the "shell" but I can't remember.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i want to say its on the inside of his shell. havent seen too many rattrap Ko's either.

7. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine used and it fits fairly snugly. I wouldn't swing it around wildly or nothing, but it doesn't fall apart.

8. dharmacon

News Credits:
    I'll give it a shot, but in the meantime if anyone reading this has any insights, I'll check back here as well. Thanks!

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Mine was always tight the hard part for me was gettign them out of the damn storage things, no fingernails and large hands didn't help.

I don't remember the gun being a problem, I think it is just a mold problem, I would think that a dealer at the Botcon would have legite parts?

10. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I got mine almost 8 years ago and the gun still fits snugly.

11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    From memory the gun didn't even make it out of the shopping centre when I got mine in 1996.

To be fair I was 6 at the time.

12. dharmacon

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair to the dealer, it might not be a KO, and if it is I would chalk it up to an honest mistake. I've dealt with the guy many times over the years and he's as honest as they come. If I determined that he did sell me a KO, he'd take it back, no questions asked.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Thanks for reminding me about Rattrap. I was just thinking that I regret selling off my BW toys years ago, and how I would want some of those back :(