A Question about the Movie Wreckers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Girl Pants, May 8, 2012.

1. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Not sure if this should go in Toys or Movie, please move it mods if you feel the need.

I've never been to Botcon or any designers' panel, so maybe this has come up... My question is about the movieverse Wreckers' toys. It's been bugging me lately about how we never got a set of all weaponized or all stock cars in any one size class. I'm wondering what the thinking was behind that. I don't outright hate it, but it's weird. I'd even like to know why they made non-weaponized versions at all - the Wreckers never take this form in the film at all.

I can see the "logic" behind a lot of what Hasbro does, but I'm not seeing a good reason for this. Did they think they'd make the other versions eventually in a post-movie line? Was it part of the contract with NASCAR? Was it just a artists' or executive's personal choice? I'd just like to know.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I do. I hate how it was 2 of one and 1 of the other in every size class. So you could never buy all three and have them look like they belonged next to each other. Bonehead move. My solution was to end up buying none of them at any size class except the Cyberverse Leadfoot and Roadbuster.

So congratulations, Hasbro. Great strategy.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Not sure if it was ever officially addressed (if it hasn't by now, it probably never will be), but to hazard a guess I'd say it was done for sake of variety; same with how the Dreads aren't all SUVs. Hasbro seems reluctant to put too many of the same type of vehicles out at once (see: Movie Constructicons).
    On the other hand, they don't seem to have a limit for cars. And there would've only been 3 of them anyways.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    iirc it was part of the contract with nascar to have at least one version of every car to be non-weaponized. if i had to guess i'd say it wasn't all in one size class because then collectors of only one size class would get the short end of the stick.

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have never been prooved wrong on this, so this is just my theory, But I think there was going to be a big Nascar scene in the movie. BB has nascar nets on the windows, And If I remember right, when DOTM was real early in development, I thought we had heard about some big nascar race. Then it went a different way or that part was completly dropped.

The Wreckers were really the saving grace for me in the movie. As soon as I seen them the 1st time in the movie, I was eagerly waiting every scene I could see them in. Those Shiny CGI Bot modes were SICK, and the cars were SO baddass. Like when it was time for them to scan and take an earth mode, Nothing on the planet was "thier style" so they BUILT those sick ass cars, with human weapons, and then scanned em. Thats what they TF'd into. I love those guys in the movie.

One thing that kinda has me wondering, So the Wreckers, were with the Humans, and the Autobots didnt know about them? Is that how that went? There wasnt any mention of them before they were introduced..I dunno

Wouldnt Prime be PISSED at them for not letting them know they were on earth?

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would have liked it if ALL the cars were non-weaponized in at least one size class.

7. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just Hasbro logic at work. How I would've done it, both to please the fans and to maximize my profits, would be to make the Cyberverse and Deluxe figures be weaponized, and the HA figures be normal. Why? Younger kids are more likely to want weaponized than non-weaponized Wreckers, and they'd be more likely to get the two smaller ones, due to their smaller size, simpler designs, and lower prices. NASCAR collectors would be more likely to want unweaponized figures, and the HA figures would appeal most to them, both since they're more detailed and since they're about 1:24 scale.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I don't hate the decision. Given that Roadbusters stealth force mode is absolutely atrocious.

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I would have done.

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I took it as they arrived with the other Autobots but because they were assholes, they had to stay with the ship (could have been at the request of the humans or Prime just realized it and gave the order). Prime knew about them but there was no reason to mention them before they were introduced.

Prime had to have spoken to them when they got the ship to go up to the moon. For all we know, the wreckers went with them but were just inside the ship during that scene.