A question about the Autobot's and Decepticon's history

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GoblinWhirlwind, Aug 27, 2007.

1. GoblinWhirlwind

GoblinWhirlwind The Killer Joke

I'm a relatively new fan, only since the movie came out. Nearly everything I know is from the movie, and i was thinking about something. Before Megatron betrayed and turned against the rest of them, were they all buddies and everyone just picked sides?

Exactly how old are they? I was watching it on CN the other day, and the kid was saying how one of them saw the pyramids being built, and "probably saw dinosaurs"

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The movie is it's own brand new continuity. Anything that's not the movie itself has nothing to do with it.

Typicaly, Prime and Megatron are millions of years old. Your guess is as good as mine on how they interacted before Megs' betrayal.

3. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    The classic cartoon is a hard find right now but they cover parts of the history in Season 2. I don't remember anything about Meg's origin in there though. I think there is a Megatron Origin comic out right now from IDW as well.

4. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

IDW's Movie prequel comic says that Megatron and Optimus ruled Cybertron as equals, firm and fair. But then Megs got power hungry and tried to take the AllSpark already having an army of loyal followers.

There is really no way to know how old they are exactly. However, IDW's adaptation of the movie starts out by saying "One million years before the dawn of man" as the Allspark arrives at Earth, so that'd suggests the Transformers are at least over a million years old.

5. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

finally, an interesting thread.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

The Transformers are, in a sense in ANY series/continuity, far older than mankind by millions, if not, billions of years.

7. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Transformers are very old; how do I know?
    because my grandfathers remeber my mom and my aunt watching the show, heck, they even know Prime and megs! my family is toooo into Tfs.

8. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

The problem is that there are so many different Transformer continuities that it makes it hard the pick one origin story for the Transformers and their war as the "correct" story.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    This is a great site to learn about all things Transformers. The articles are usually very informative (if a tad snarky :wink:  ) and can help clear up a lot of your questions. Lots of cool obscure info there too.

9. GoblinWhirlwind

GoblinWhirlwind The Killer Joke

Dude, that's awesome. I had no idea they were THAT old..i just figured maybe a few thousand years.

10. hanwombat

hanwombat I'm not a Wombat really..

well when they crash landed on earth and werent reactivated for 4 million years (G1) that shows they are atleast millions of years old.

11. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Megatron seems to have a limitless number of soldiers at his back before he came to earth. I'm not sure if they were all normal Cybertronians before the war started or he simply built an army of them secretly, but the prequel comics show a large amount of the "Dreadwing" style robot being employed as grunts.

and yet, an oddly uninteresting post...

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    According to the comics they are aeons old, and an aeon is a looooong time.
    "Although a proposal was made in 1957 to define an aeon to be a unit of time equal to one billion years (1 Ga), the idea was not approved as a unit of scientific measure and is seldom used for a specific period of time. Its more common usage is for any long, indefinite, period of time"

13. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well according to the prequel comic the conflict started a million years ago, at least when the Autobots dumped the Allspark into space ala Underbase to keep from the hands of Megatron.

Even though they knew it would kill their planet. I imagine pretty much like when Primus got killed in the Marvel comic. Rendering Cybertron uninhabitable.

What we do knw from the movie itself is that the Allspark crashed on Earth about 12,000 years ago.