a question about simon furman and the transformers mythos

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Jul 29, 2008.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i've been giving this a bit of thought lately people

when it comes to the idw transformers g1 continuity and the fact that simon furman is building it based on the 20 plus years of written material he has used to thoroughly flesh out the transformers mythos over time.

is it just me or could a fan look at simon furman as being, in a certain manner of speaking, the jack kirby of the transformers mythos as it exists in the present day

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Bob Budiansky would be the Jack Kirby - the guy who created the first few years worth of characters and wrote the earliest stories that defined them. Simon Furman is more equatable to a Chris Claremont - coming in later with some daring new ideas and really making his mark as THE writer for the brand, crafting some of the most dramatic, epic and memorable stories and making new characters true greats that deserve to stand alongside the originals.

...and then returning to the series years later, where his work proves to be the same basic concept done over and over again with the same dialogue patterns and tics and the same core group of personal favourite characters until it all feels vaguely like self-parody.

3. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

actually when it comes to the whole kirby/furman comparison and these are just my thoughts on the matter, but i would think that it would be an all together suitable and positive and reasonable compliment to give mr furman in comparing the best of his written work on the transformers mythos to that of the late jack kirby as one comic book writer to another

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It would be a compliment, but a very undeserved one.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And entirely illogical. Unless the only parallel you're trying to draw is "Uh, they wrote some good comics." To call someone "The Jack Kirby of" something means a lot more than "they were good."

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Exactly. Kirby is one of the key figures in how comics came to be what they are today, having worked on a range of titles for both DC and Marvel. Furman has not come close to having the same impact, arguably not even on the TF universe.

7. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD TFW2005 Supporter

My girlfriend spent 200 dollars on this incredibly awesome Silver Surfer poster signed by Jack Kirby with a certificate of authenticity. I treasure it like comic book geek gold. Always found the Silver Surfer to be one of his cooooolest creations.

bet since his death this thing might as well be gold

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Wow thats pretty dang close to how I would explain it. I love Furman but he does do alot of re-tred like Clairemont did.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I also tend to think of Furman as the Claremont of Transformers. He came in after the start, but he added a bunch of stuff to the mythos and essentially wrote the blueprint for how a lot of the various characters have been portrayed since. In addition, like Claremont, Furman has come back to the franchise after a long absence and has a tendency to cover a lot of the same old ground again and reuse certain pet characters.

10. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Which is why I wish they'd hand the reigns over to somebody else for a while. I mean I liked Chris Claremont's work on Uncanny X-Men, but after a while it was good to see where Jim Lee or Fabian Nicieza would take the characters. I definitely enjoyed Dan Jurgens, Louise Simonson, Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway and Karl Kesel's writing in The Death of Superman mega-arc, but after a while, someone else needed to tell the story.

I appreciate Simon and what he's done with the franchise and for the fans, but every now and then I really want someone new and fresh at the helm.