A question about Shockwave's loyalty

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he is only loyal to Cybertron as Matt Tieger said, why didn't he side with Optimus? I mean, he's only doing the bidding of the Matrix of Leadership, which is both Cybertron and Primus.

This has been bugging me since Matt spoke about the loyalties of Megatron's top officers: Starscrem is only loyal to himself; Soundwave's completely loyal to Megatron; and Shockwave's loyalties lie with Cybertron, but if that were so, shouldn't he side with whomever the Matrix has chosen, the one trying to save his brethren?

Everyone knows Megatron infected Cybertron with Dark Energon, yet Shockwave is a Decepticon.

2. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Yes but I think shockwave was probably angry at optimus because primus shutdown for optimus and the survival of normal energon beings

3. UndeadMonkeyGuy

UndeadMonkeyGuy Logic Meister

News Credits:
    • He's trying to suck the entire earths energy to use it to reboot cybertron
    • He's experimenting on autobots
    • He's "the evil scientist"
    • He's creating things like the insecticons

I don't think Optimus would like him siding with them.

4. zemega

zemega Well-Known Member

I think to him there's no such concept such as evil and good. Its only logical and illogical, and no, its not affected by other emotions. He is more correctly, a mad scientist that is loyal to Cybertron.

5. UndeadMonkeyGuy

UndeadMonkeyGuy Logic Meister

News Credits:
    Matt Tiegers words. :D 

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, dark energon wasn't destroying Cybertron. The problem Optimus had was that it was corrupting Cybertron and possibly Primus himself, bending them to Megatron's evil will. After Optimus stopped the flow of dark energon, Primus was able to shut Cybertron down to get rid of the dark energon. Therefor, it was Optimus and Primus who shut down Cybertron. That means Shockwave would side with Megatron and not Optimus Prime.

7. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

Fixed.

8. Firestorm777

Firestorm777 Banned

Maybe he thought like Megatron that the Dark Energon would save Cybertron.

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suspect Bruticus is Shockwave's doing too, and if the Irvine books are also part of the aligned continuity then you might as well throw Trypticon in there too. I'm not saying that Optimus would have condoned what Shockwave's doing, but pointing out that Shockwave didn't single out Autobots. If Shockwave is truly loyal to Cybertron, he should care less about being an Autobot or a Decepticon, as he’s Cybertronian, as the all once were.
    I know little of Shockwave in the comics, but if his being revolves around logic as everyone says it does what was logical about his decision to joining the Deceptions; what was logical about allowing Megatron to infect the core with Dark Energon? What was logical about going against the Primes? Like it or not, the Primes were Cybertron—the council was Cybertron. If Shockwave was truly loyal, why did he turn his back on them?
    I can’t help but think that this incarnation of Shockwave should have remained faction-less, a true child of Cybertron.

Now, on to your points about Shockwave’s involvement with the creation of the Insecticons. Bear in mind that the insect-life on Cybertron was known to ingest Dark Energon; they were ridding the planet of the Dark Energon toxins, and were speeding up the planets recovery, IIRC. So Shockwave making more of them should have been a welcome sight, no?

Shockwave singled out our world before intelligent life walked it—we ourselves take resources from the wilderness with no or little thought to lesser species all the time, so what's different?

Sure Optimus is of the belief that freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but I wonder if he'd extend that courtesy to dinosaurs?

Shockwave finds a way to save Cybertron by uncovering the secrets of the ancients. Something tells me the ancients did what Shockwave's doing or plans to do to Earth—interesting how the live-action movies and WFC/FOC have energy cultivation at its core, though it's really something that started way back in G1. When you get down to it, the resources they gathered were always broken down and transformed into Energon.

If the Autobots had won the war for Cybertron, who's to say that they wouldn't have done what Shockwave plans to do? They'd have to do something about Cybertron's low Energon too. Surely, Optimus, like Shockwave, would have looked to clues the ancients left to save their world too, and who knows, he probably would have agreed with taking resources from Earth. Barren worlds aren’t rich in resources, right? I don’t see how the Autobots could get resources without bring trouble to life, as resources and life are an inseparable pair.

Yes, Dark Energon was corrupting the core/Cybertron, but we already know the end result—we saw it in the very place Megatron found it—death and destruction.

Megatron made their world sick, uninhabitable; he ruined their home!

Primus, not Optimus, shut down the core. Optimus, taking on the duties of a Prime, took it upon himself to lead Cybertonians off world, as the planet was losing its ability to sustain life.

Megatron’s path led to death, while Optimus’ led to life. I don't see logic in choosing Megatron when his way was very clearly leading their world to ruin, the exact opposite of what Shockwave is trying to do.