A question about selling on Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by rob_charb, Apr 24, 2008.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

First, apologies if this doesn't really belong here, but I have a question for all the experienced sellers on Ebay.

As some of you may know, I'm selling off some Gundam models and what-not. Now, I recieved a message from one member offering me a lower price than what I listed the item at. I, of course, declined, in a polite fashion. My question is this, is what this member did against Ebay policy and if so, should I bother to report him?

I'm rather new to Ebay and have usually asked my mum to do all the selling for me, but figured it was time to lose my Ebay-cherry.

2. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    It's not against E-bay policy. It would be if he would offer to resolve it outside of E-bay. But that sort of stuff happenes lots of times, without a problem. As long as E-bay doesn't find out.

3. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

Yeah, the above poster is right. IF they offer you more then take it and dont let ebay find out and do it through Paypal and make sure to get confirmation numbers on your packages you send so they cant try and get you in trouble. Also, end your auction before you send the item or anything. What they dont know, wont get you in trouble.

4. rob_charb

Cheers for the info guys. My mum was telling me to report him, but it didn't really seem like such a big deal to me.

5. rob_charb

I have a second question for all you Ebay pros out there.

My last round of Gundams all went to the same buyer. I checked out his feeback, it's 140-something and all positive. But for some reason, he won't give me his shipping address so I can send him the total amount owing. In fact, he won't reply to my messages at all. Now I figure he might be watching my other Gundams that are up, so he can save on shipping if he decides to buy anything. But, if that's the case, shouldn't he let me know he's thinking of buying some other stuff (not to mention at least pay for the stuff he's already won) and will send the shipping info when the current auctions end?

So the way I see it, I have two options:

1 - Wait the two days left on the other stuff and see if he's planning on bidding on anything OR

2 - Send him another message today threatening to report him for Non-payment.

6. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Although I don't really sell much on ebay, you should really indicate more guidelines for payment options, especially indicate how many days payment is expected after the auction ends.

But for this case, if it's been over 7 days, you should report him to ebay or continue to ask him if something is wrong (or threaten).

As for selling built Gundams though, I thought you could get more selling on Chinese auction sites instead (like alibaba or taobao). I know collectors in Japan pay hundreds or thousands for well-built injection plastic or resin kits, but I don't know if that's the case for Taiwan, China or the rest of Asia.

Oh well, goodluck man!

7. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

A little late to the game here, but if memory serves, eBay's policy is to forbid sellers to iron out a deal outside of bids through personal communication. Not only that, but it's usually to your advantage to let the bids fall as they may. If you do settle outside of the bidding process, you're likely to have people who did place bids on your auction report you.

I was selling a somewhat rare "Batman Returns" batsuit (latex costume) on ebay a few years back and had some potential bidders email me and try to get me to sell to them outside of eBay, but I told them no, and that if they wanted it, they could place bids like anyone else. As it turned out, through a bid war, I got much more for the suit. (Actually more than I had paid originally.)

As for non-payment, if someone hasn't paid in 7 days, I don't care what he's doing or what his other feedback is, I'm cancelling his auction and reporting him. I had to do that to a guy who won an official Graceland tour guide jacket from me. You risk negative feedback from them, but fortunately the guy I turned in didn't even come back for that.

8. rob_charb

Thanks for the advice/info.

In regards to the original question I had, I left it to chance to see if anyone would bid on the kit (a MG Zaku II F2) and it ended up going for 20US - a much better price than the 10.99 the message-guy offered me for it. At the time of his messaging, there hadn't been any bids and I think the guy thought I'd be panicking as to wether or not the kit would sell.

As for the second guy, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait until the current auctions end to see if he's planning on bidding on them. Should I ask him to pay for the items he's won already first though? I'm not really keen on getting a negative feedback because it's my mum's account I'm using and she uses it to sell stuff on the side as a secondary income.

9. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    Although he should reply to you telling you his intentions, it might be alittle early to worry about negatives. My advice would be to email him a few more times, give him some excuse about how you need the money ASAP because of some late bill or some other matter of urgency. I have done that in the past and it seems to get results without being overly bothersome.

10. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Regarding your first question, I've got a line in my terms stating:

'I never end auctions early, please don't ask as these are the only questions I won't respond to.'

Whilst it hasn't stopped all of the ludicrously low offers I receive, I have got less since including that sentence.

Second question: Has the guy communicated with you at all after the auction/s ended? I'd politely explain your thinking to him, see what (if anything) he says, I say politely as people take emails in different ways, explain your concern, if he's genuine he'll understand and respond.

Definitely include in yours terms something like:

'All invoices are to be paid within seven days, otherwise the item will be re-listed/second-chanced. If there is a problem, or if you are planning on purchasing further items to combine P+P/shipping, please email me.'

Do you have a link to your auctions?

11. rob_charb

It's been four days since he won the first round of auctions and haven't heard a word from him. The really funny thing is, checking his feedback, they all say he's pays really fast.

I added a line to all my auctions (except my VF-1S because it already has a bid) saying payments must be received in 7 days.

ninety, you can check out my auctions by clicking on the link in my sig. Thanks for your advice, I think I'll snap off another message to him later tonight asking him what he's planning on doing. And I do actually need the money to pay for a bill (a little mishap concerning my dog, my hand and my digital camera), so I don't even need to lie to him :D 

12. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Is ebay really strict on making deals to end auctions early? I'm sure its been done before, I don't think the chances of getting caught would be that high.

What happens if you offer to sell another item after the auction ends for another deal though?