A question about lag.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Weirdwolf, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I'm hoping someone here can help me. Before I moved back this spring to our new apartment, I was living out in the country and had DSL. I'd play Call of Duty 4 online all the time and aside from the occasional lag-fest, my connection didn't seem too bad.

Now that I've moved, I still have the same type of internet, but I seem to be experiencing more lag than ever. I'll unload entire clips on someone and they seem totally unaffected, only to be turned on and killed as if I was standing still; then I see their KillCam and while I was shooting at them, I'm aiming either to their left or right and moving very slowly compared to them. I find this more often now than ever before and it's driving me crazy.

Now I have my Wii and PS3, as well as my PC connected wirelessly to my internet gateway (password protected so I know there's no outside leeches out there), does that affect my connection or what? Would it help to turn a few things off (rather than leaving on standby)? Also, maybe my ping time is too slow? Is there a way to find out what it is?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I would suspect the wireless connection. I don't trust wireless for gaming.

3. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Wireless is fine for gaming as long as you have a good signal.

Test your internet speed.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Look at your signal strength, then simply try hooking the PS3 up with a wired connection. Personally I don't notice any more or less lag with my PS3 running wirelessly.

If that's still not helping then make sure everything other than what you're gaming on is OFF and if that doesn't improve then something is afoot at the circle k.

5. Weirdwolf

OH, I forgot to point out, only my PC, PS3, and Wii are connected wirelessly. The 360 is hardwired.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Are you running anything else concurrently while gaming? What's your bandwidth?

7. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    try placing the gaming consoles in your routers dmz. This should allow unbiased traffic from your consoles. I had a problem with my ps3 while playing burnout paradise. I placed it in the dmz and that solved it.

8. Weirdwolf

I tried this tonight and it helped TREMENDOUSLY. I'm back to finishing in the top 3 or so much of the time again, woohoo!

Thanks all so much for their input, I recommend this tip to anyone having unusual problems with lag.