a question about gijoe and the blackhawks

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by redwolfbear, Jul 5, 2017.

1. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    in the dc comic book universe ,The Blackhawks were an international paramilitary group of pilots operating against the Axis powers during World War II as such The Blackhawks came from the Nazi-occupied nations of Europe; Poland, Norway, Holland, and France. for all intents and purposes they were essentually a paramilitary anti terrorist unit made up of individuals from all the various armed forces of the time .

maybe im reading too much into the matter folks

but is it just me or could one almost view them as being essentually gijoe during the world war 2 era had gijoe actually existed in the dc comic universe during the golden age era of dc comics?

thats the kind of vibe im getting anyways folks , my late great uncle randy had a huge comic book collection from way back in the day and i inherited it at the time he passed away about a year or so back. i love reading up on this old school stuff.

2. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I would imagine Larry Hama had the Blackhawks a little bit in mind when crafting GI Joe. The GI Joe proposal was born out of, obviously, the toys that Hasbro showed Marvel (at that point, the toys had not bad guys (!) and no identities... just stuff like "gunner" and "tank driver," etc.) and also a proposal Hama had made for a revamped Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD book with a multi-ethnic cast called "Fury's Raiders" or something like that. When Hasbro was looking for some personality for the line, Hama was able to dust off that proposal and mate it to the toys.

3. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

G.I. Joe was a little like Transformers. The toys came before the story as the original Joes were dolls from the 1960s meant to be a way Hasbro could market dolls to boys. I am not sure how much the Blackhawks influenced that.

However, storywise, I can definitely see how the Blackhawks influenced various comic stories and fictions, like James Bond, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the current G.I. Joe, Nick Fury, etc.

4. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I think any connection to the Blackhawks is coincidence at best. Joe's primary development was "Fury Force," the proposal for a team of SHIELD agents led by the son of Nick Fury fighting Hydra (which @dj_convoy II alluded to). Outside of being military comics, there's not a whole lot of similarities between the Joes and the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks were an international team of fighter pilots, while the Joes were an exclusively American force drawing on members and skills from all branches of the military, not just the Air Force.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think you're overstating things. I seriously doubt Ian Flemming ever heard of Blackhawk, nor is there any similarity between the international band of fighter pilots and the British spy. Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos were directly inspired by another Kirby-created comic (for DC), the Boy Commandos. SHIELD was inspired by Bond, but more by Man From UNCLE. Again, I don't see any similarity to Blackhawk.

It's possible the Boy Commandos were partially inspired by Blackhawk, but it's tenuous at best, and none of the others have any connection.

6. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Maybe I did overstate it, though I can similarities between the old and the new. I will happily concede the point though. :)