a question about g1 megatron. would he greive for optimus's death?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Sep 6, 2007.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

people has anyone here ever seen a justice league episode called hereafter

the one where superman susposedly died but instead got teleported to the future to a post apocaliptic earth ruled over by vandel savage?

the reason i bring that up is because i have question when it comes to g1 megatron

say that idw were to actually adapt the plot from that episode into a single issue or multi issue storyline.

with optimus prime in supermans role and megatron in vandel savages role.

just how exactly would megatron come to terms with optimus's death? especially if starscream for example was the one that pulled it off at the time

the plot pretty much being that someone other then megatron himself had for all intents and purposes killed optimus prime and robbed megatorn of that sole lifes pleasure when the reality of the situation would be instead that optimus was sent forward in time to a distant future in which megatron alone was the only other living cybertronion being on earth.

me i figure starscream would be killed in a very gruesome manner.

i figure for megatron seeing optimus among the living after believing him to be dead for so many years that their meeting would go something like this

check the whole scene with lex fighting superman.

i figure on the one hand he would be extremely shocked to see him alive in some part and in some part still he would be relieved to know that he still had a chance at killing optimus himself but at the same time he would be raging inside and boiling over in anger in the belief that optimus had somehow betrayed him.

in a certain twisted maner of speaking he would feel betrayed over the whole thing when it comes to his relationship with optimus as an enemy and megatron perhaps having greived for optimus's death possibly more then any other person ever could have at the time of primes so called death in the time that played out between optimus prime's death in the present day and the time megatron ran into him in the future.

i actually think it would be an interesting storyline people what are your thoughts on this matter people

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    This actually happened in the Marvel comic. Issue #25, I think. Prime sacrificed his life because he lost a video game (yeah, yeah, yeah, it sounds stupid. I know) and Megatron went a bit loopy. He crushed Brawl's head and Shockwave eventually decided to send in the Predacons to take Megs down before he did more damage.

3. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

I think megs has always had a certain respect for op and so I think he would deffinately greive his passing.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah thats the first thing I thought of. Megs went TOTALLY nutsoid. IIRC, That story is what led him to be trapped on the Space Bridge and he wasn't seen again for a long ass time. Then Decepticon Leaders were passed around like Paris Hilton at the Moonlight Bunny Ranch.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah time and time again, Megs has shown that he can't live without Prime...

Nice job sighting that amazing Justice League episode. Guess what I am watching tonight.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

7. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

in the movie he doesn't seem to.

8. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

I guess you harbour some form of respect for a rival/ enemy after fighting him/ her for so long (if insanity hasn't gotten its grip on you yet). The sudden loss of that entity who always keeps you sharp and alert, wary and competitive leaves a void that can be very hard to overcome, so I'd say Megatron would feel something over Optimus's death. Greive? Maybe not, but he would be a little quieter after the gloating is done. That's how I feel a realistic, 3-dimensional character would react.

9. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, he'd actually dealt Optimus the fatal shot, and afterward he was dying when Starscream dumped him in space, so it was all a blur.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Depends on the Megatron.

G1 cartoon Megatron probably would miss Optimus, though not to the extent of being lost without him. He'd get on with conquering the universe.
    G1 comic is pretty well covered, as is the G2.
    Beast Wars Megatron didn't care - Optimus was an obstacle to be dealt with and removed, as evidenced in Other Voices / Aftermath.
    Armada Megatron was shocked at Optimus' death and glad to see his return - there was a lot of old almost friendship there.
    Energon and Cybertron not so much - Energon Megatron was insane, half-Unicron and wanted nothing more than the death of his enemies, Cybertron wanted the universe remade in his image and that meant removing the obstacle, Prime.
    Movie Megatron is the most interesting of the bunch - you can easily argue that he would have mourned Optimus' death, since the whole way through the fight he was talking to Optimus, trying to get Optimus to consider joining him - he really did not want Optimus to be his enemy, but as he was, Megatron had to remove him.

IDW Megatron seems to be a ruthless leader who'd not care less if Optimus did die, he's a major thorn in Megatron's side.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    He wasn't grieving; he'd gone insane because it wasn't him who killed Prime.

12. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think he'd grieve, per se, but I think he'd feel as though a part of him were missing. Prime and Megatron are opposite sides of the same coin.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    To elaborate: Megatron couldn't accept Prime was really dead because he didn't do it himself. He was overcome with the delusion that Prime faked his death and would be back. Of course, Prime is now known for dying and reviving constantly like a big red semi Jesus. Megatron was insane yet prescient. Creepy.

14. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always viewed the (non AEC) Megatron vs OP as similar to Prof X & Magneto - a healthy respect for their individual abilities, the ability to lead/inspire their troops, and a "sadness" that the other just wouldn't come over to their side!

Although movie-Megs, I don't think would much care - after all, he'd given Prime plenty of time & chances (in his mind) to be at his side (as #2, of course) ruling the universe. In reality, Prime would co-rule only shortly, and then Megs would off him - cuz he won't share w/ anyone.

15. Metroflex

Metroflex Banned

You already saw how he'd react in the '86 movie. He'd just become obsessed with destroying the next leader, and then the next, and then the next. Prime wasn't the first Autobot leader he killed, and although Prime was probably the one he battled the longest, he's just "another dead Autobot" to Megatron in the end. If you think Megatron would actually care, you have no clue who Megatron is. Maybe for a brief second he'd acknowledge some sort of feeling (such as "you lack even Prime's courage" in the movie) but he's too cold and heartless to allow that kind of feeling to last more than a few seconds. It's who Megatron is/was, and he was always bashing Prime for being too mushy, so why would be be like that? He's a Decepticon, he's EVIL. He'd gleefully laugh at Prime's demise, and when remembering his old foe, he'd get a sly grin and a sparkle in his eye as he remembered how he finally killed that "weak fleshling-lover."

In the comic when Prime dies, the fact that it wasn't Megatron that killed him is what drove Megatron crazy. If he had killed him, he would have locked his sights on the next leader. Don't fool yourselves people, Megatron just isn't the caring type, and that's why we LOVE HIM!

16. Metroflex

Metroflex Banned

I disagree. Just because this is true in so many comics, movies and cartoons, doesn't automatically apply to Megatron and Optimus. In the case of Professor X vs Magneto, Magneto is a good guy at his core but does evil things for what he believes to be a good cause.

In the case of Megatron, he's just plain evil. Selfish, self-serving, greedy and evil. He never does a single selfless or compasionate thing in the entire G1 cartoon as far as I can remember. Even Skeletor in the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special shows some compassion to some kids and their puppy when he gets the "Christmas Spirit." Even Tex Hex in Bravestarr shows some compassion when he sees his old love, Ursela, is back in town and foils an attack on Fort Kerium in order to save her. But Megs was just plain rotten. If he had "conquered the universe," I don't think he'd be the type to just sit there and feel empty or that something was missing. I think he's so plainly, simply evil that he would just sit in a throne all day and cackle to himself. I can't think of a single cartoon villain who was as rotten through-and-through as Megatron.

Seriously, did he ever show a single ounce of compassion or kindness in the G1 toon? I'm racking my brain trying to come up with at least one example to disprove this theory but I can't think of anything!

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe towards Nightbird, but never any Autobot. And it's debatable whether he cared about her as a being or as a soldier/weapon.

18. Metroflex

Metroflex Banned

Exactly. If he ever did anything remotely "good" it was only because it was for his own good. Like teaming up with Prime against the Insecticons. He didn't give a damn about saving Earth or the Autobots, he just knew the Insecticons were a threat to him too, so he basically used Prime for his own purpose.