A question about Critical thinking.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Aug 11, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Last night I was watching a review of a series run and while I enjoyed the show the reviewer pointed out a lot of mishaps,missed poteintal's and other mistakes in knowledge of warfare and such that I honestly didn't noticed before yet they make sense. So I was wondering that while watching a show/movie,playing a game,or just reading a novel for example does one need to have critical thinking in order to enjoy and understand a story in a different media because if you don't you seem less intelligent with no taste and doesn't know a good story when he sees one or is it really another form of opinion and it doesn't matter how you think it just as long as what you think counts. I know it has to do with opinions in the end but I wonder if one has to be very critical in aynalisis and such in order to see a good story and enjoy it or else he's doomed to be ignorant?

What are your thoughts? And if this the wrong forum to post this at feel free to move it.

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

3. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I never said it like it's fact. I was asking if not being critical makes you less intelligent that's all. Unless you're joking of course.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Was this a Gamespot review? Because you do know about the rule of adding 1.5 to any review of theirs, ignoring Call of Duty games, right?

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    No this is for all types of storytelling including games.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, so a negative Prime review then.

But in all seriousness, it's just someones opinion, don't take it so seriously.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Kaiju....stop just stop.

Do I need to spread fear toxin on you white knight?

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Critical reviews, whatever. Ignore them, move on and have fun with the show you like without care for those who do not :) 

9. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

I love it when I read/watch/listen to with a critical eye and still enjoy it the same way. To me you just can't handle harsh comments on your beloved TFP.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Critical Thinking is the most important skill any person can have. The ability to observe, recognize, dissect, and discern the truth behind information (or even just to question it effectively) is an endlessly useful ability, and an essential one to a life based on truth.

Do you need critical thinking to enjoy media? First, it's important to remember that media is often not created by experts on the subjects covered. License will be taken intentionally, and mistakes will happen. Being able to separate truth from fiction, even INSIDE of fiction, is essential as a human being, and an inability to do so can have ugly, ugly consequences. That being said, critically observing a work does not mean hating it. It MAY sour one's opinion on aspects of it, but those critiques can also be set aside or ignored for the purposes of enjoyment. In some cases, being able to critically observe something can make it even MORE entertaining, due to intentional or unintentional absurdity on the part of it's creators.

There is no wisdom that is not preferable to ignorance, in the long run. At least that's how I see it. Unfortunately, I think you need to spend some more time learning what critical thinking is, how it works, and how it can influence or change someone's perception, Kaiju.

11. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I think there has to be a little bit of "suspension of disbelief" when watching any movie, TF cartoon, etc.. I don't feel the need to overanalyze the shows I watch, or the books I read.

If you pick apart something down to the friggin' atoms, it just ruins it IMO. This doesn't mean you just blindly accept everything about it - but just don't overdo it with the analysis, aaaaaaight?:D 

12. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    this. don't let it get to ya. if people over analyze stuff, that's there problem. for example: the SDCC Bruticus (IMO) is fucking amazing and the best combiner in 25 years (of course, i don't know why everyone loves Railracer so much as i don't own one but that's besides the point). but some people give him too much shit. in fact, there are a few people out there that give Bruticus shit in general. but i don't care what they think. and it doesn't make me stupid because i like a figure that a lot of people don't. i'll defend him, but i won't shove him down others' throats (i'm using him as an example because all the faults found in Bruticus, i see perfectly but that still doesn't make him bad in my eyes. and that reviewers over-analysis is like that of those that got and don't like Bruticus because they looked to see what was bad about him instead of what's good about him). to sum it all up: to each, their own

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    That's not critical thinking, that's criticism. Critical thinking would be looking at WFC Bruticus and thinking WHY his limbs are shaped the way they are, WHY his proportions are somewhat off in places, and what possible reasons outside of "he is a bad toy" could explain these details (economic, engineering, marketing, model-accuracy, etc. etc.). You would look at these alternate possible explanations and make your conclusions regarding the toy accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  14. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    It wasn't a Prime review I watching it was something else and it's not just about Prime either it's also about other shows,movies,games,books,etc.

I get that critical thinking is important and all don't get me wrong but at times there comes some reviewers with a different opinion about a show that I may not agree with or at least suprised to see things that I didn't see before and I see a lot of people agreeing to that perticular opinion. So does that mean that if that opinion's mroe accepted then the otehr does that mean you have to change your opinion because you saw the the reviewer's right in that opinion that's what the question is.

I'm not saying I'm changing my opinions on that reason alone and I'm not intending to. It's just a question of how that if you're going to be critcally minded how do you do it so that you can both be smart and yet not let the critical aspect control you too much.

I get that. :lol  There are some reviewers out there that I think may go overboard with critical thinking making them unintentionally look obnoxous jerks. I may be totally wrong in it.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Don't change your opinion if you don't want to. Stick to your guns for heaven's sake, and don't just become one of the herd.

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Again, DO NOT CONFUSE CRITICISM WITH CRITICAL THINKING. The absolute core of critical thinking is being able to take in a bunch of different opinions and viewpoints on something, understand them, and make the decision on how to form your opinion as a result.

Critical Thinking skills do not mean blindly accepting what someone (or ANYONE) says, in favor or in opposition to something, they mean being able to figure out how you feel about something for yourself.

Ask yourself this: What makes one opinion more accepted than another? What is that opinion offering up in support of the statements and claims it makes? What conditions would have to exist for you to want to change your opinion?

17. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
  18. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

On a brief tangent, how can one sharpen their critical thinking skills?

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I rarely watch something and go 'that's awesome' or 'that's great' or 'that's good'. I seem to have a list of problems with just about everything I watch or read nowadays. I didn't used to be like that. I think I'm mostly just bored with the world now and like any excuse to pick at it for whatever reason and media is one of the easiest to pick at.

There are exceptions to it though:
    Fran: "Bernard? Finished with your accounts?"
    Bernard: "Yeah, I've turned them into a rather smart casual jacket."

:rock 

20. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Story telling is at it's most basic make believe; when your older naturally critical thinking will kick in. For instance in young justice where robin takes a good hit from batman, he'd have at least a broken jaw plus a few busted facial bones to go with it, I know that from experience.
    It's good to see your asking questions like this it means your maturing.