A question about con exclusives

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Lion, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Hello. I'm not sure this is the right place, but I have a question....

If you're not part of the collectors club, and not going to botcon, is there another way (besides ebay) to get the exclusive figs? I'm really liking the Deathsaurus so far.

I'm sure people will offer it up on the boards, but will anyone be stocking it at a reasonable price?

Any help is great, thanks!

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

You can get a non-attendee package, but the non-member price is higher than what it would cost to join the club and pay the member price, so that route doesn't make a lot of sense.

Non-member, non-attendee price: $315

Member, non-attendee: $265
    club membership: $40
    -----------------------------
    $305

BBTS and a few other shops usually offer store credit to people at the convention to trade in their exclusives as a way to build up a stock for the website, and then turn around and sell them on the site. The catch there is that nobody knows what they'll be charging yet, and won't until they list them after the con. My guess is that they'll probably be charging at minimum the price MC is charging, probably more. Don't be surprised if they want $350+ for the box set.

The price you pay will probably depend on your patience. The going rates for exclusives are always sky-high in the weeks after the convention but usually level off. If you're patient you can probably find a good deal a few months down the road.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    And of course there's the dilemma for people like me, who really want one figure. Deathsaurus. Paying 300+ any way you look at it for a few figures I don't want, and one that I do seems a bit silly.

I didn't buy the non-attendence package, and I'm hoping I can secure a Deathsaurus somehow. I'm figuring that I'll get one somehow, be it through somplace like BBTS, or eBay, but hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

4. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Exactly!

5. KidDynamite

Well, you've got two options, hard to say at this point which is the better.

1) Buy the set and sell off the six you don't want individually. Ironhide seems to be the gem that most people will be going after individually. Especially if you sell in the first month or so when prices are still high, you may even recoup the cost of the whole set and get Deathsaurus for free or close to it. The risk here is that no one knows what these are going to sell for after the con.

2) Buy Deathsaurus individually from someone splitting their set up. The risk here is that it's hard to say how many people who put the sets up for sale are going to split them. You have to consider that there are only a total of 1200 sets or something like that (800 boxed and 400 loose?). Some people are going to keep them, and some are going to sell them as a set. There may only end up being a couple hundred (if that) that are split up...that's not much, and there will be a lot of competition for the more popular ones like Ironhide and Deathsaurus.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Can I still buy the set? I thought that option would be impossible at this point, as I waited too long, and I'd have to get the complete set through some other means.

Hell, if I can still buy the set, I'll go that way.

7. KidDynamite

I'm pretty sure you can. They have not made an annoucement that they've sold out yet, and there was no deadline for ordering.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I want your Ironhide!

9. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

I only really like Fallback & Chromia.

10. StarAngel

StarAngel Long live the Decepticons

If you, Pravus Prime, buy the set, see if Twin Twist and Octane want your Chromia, Fallback and Ironhide for a price. If you split the costs accordingly, you all get what you want and not have to worry about Ebay. I love it when fans help fans.

I'm keeping all 7 of mine.