a question about color separation technology

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ckhtiger, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I've been reading the entire g.i. joe series from the beginning, and I noticed a glaring change of the image quality. sometime in 1990, the books went from having the colors be very obvious spots/dots on the page, to a more smoothly, evenly colored image. I was just wondering if anyone knew how this happened, or what technology became available to do so.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Color printing tech just got better. It happened at all the comic book companies.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually, it wasnt so much color tech got better, but marvel caught up with the latest tech. they prolly held out on it due to cost.

how did i come to this conclusion? the UK comics of the same time had better printing which accomodate more paint-y kind of style while the US was still using flats.

4. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, also around 1994 or so they bought out Malibu Comics mainly for their coloring production.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yep, and also around that time, they used different paper. There were a few months that you could either buy regular or "premium" edition of Marvel comics. Regular was printed on the paper quality tht was common up until then and "premium" was the new glossy pages current in today's books.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

cool. thanks guys, I thought some of you might know. man, imagine all of the brain power if we took everyone from here and made one super brain. it'd be like, the smartest uber-fan ever!