Customs: a question about classics jetfire

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Apr 16, 2007.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i got some questions people

if one can get their hands on the appropriate tools, the appropriate sized parts, weaponry, decal sheets and model or spraypaints, would it be possible to completely convert a classics jetfire into being a thoroughly authentic but at the same time unnoficial macross veritech fighter jet complete with intermediary battroid mode?

i know for a fact that the leg mod can be done to the figures upper legs that would make it possible for the figure to properly transform into the battroid mode people.

just exactly what size scale and exactly what parts would 1 need to purchase and otherwise salvage when it come to the whole idea of bashing classics jetfire up into a armored super valkyrie complete with wing mounted missiles missile pods and a complete set of swap out fast packarmor and weapon pack armor?

i would think that in the hands of an especially skilled kitbasher that it would be entirely posssible.

although in my case i merely want to enhance the overall armor and firepower on mine when it comes to my classics jetfire figure.

any ideas how much it would cost all together people?

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Though some people will disagree, Jetfire in no way, shape, or form has a transformation that is appropriate nor a look that is appropriate for a Macross Valkyrie (robotech veritch be damned).

When you say battroid mode, I'm assuming you mean Gerwalk (shudder... "guardian"...) mode. The legged jet mode. Yes, Classics Jetfire can be transformed to a sort of gerwalk mode, it's true. I looks silly, but who am I to argue that?

Overall, I'm uncertain of what it is you're looking to do. Revert Jetfire entirely into a VF-1? From a technical standpoint, it wouldn't require all that much. Change the head, modify the crotch so you don't unfold the nose, chop into him so you can fold his wings all the way down. His transformation wont match a Valkyrie, due to the simple fact that it doesn't, in fact, match a valkyrie. Modding him to do that would require so much modification that he would no longer be anything remotely resembling jetfire (for one, the arms would need to be INSIDE the legs in jet mode).

I have to wonder why you'd want to do this. Especially considering 1/60 (Jetfire sized) and 1/48 VF-1's are readily available.

EDIT: you mention super parts. The only super parts Jetfire is really missing is the leg pieces, which due to the shape of Jetfires legs, no Valkyrie parts will fit. You would need to scratchbuild appropriate parts to fit, and then the arms would no longer fit in alt mode, since they go outside the legs. Again, I'd have to say "don't bother", sadly.

EDIT the second: Think about it this way, it's sort of like you asking the easiest way to kitbash an Armada megatron into a G1 Warpath. It's not exactly apples to apples, you know? Originally, they're both tanks, yes. But when it comes down to brass tacks... not exactly the same thing, yeah?

3. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

The "Classics Jetfire" figure is a basically what the G1 toy should have been. It was a bad idea for Hasbro and Takara to pay Bandai for the mold. Harmony Gold got all pissed off over it too, complaining that the Bandai mold was a rip of theirs, or some shit. I don't even remember - the whole thing was conglomerate bullshit.

Anyways, Classics Skyfire (I hate the name Jetfire) is perfect as he is, imho. Why not pick up one of the VF-1 bootlegs or one of the scaled figures that QuinJester mentioned?

~Z

4. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

in my case people i just want to mod him to the point that he has an increased and enhanced set of weaponry hell i would even settle for salvaging the parts from whatever models happen to be in or near the same size catagory as my classics jetfire.

in short i want to mod him to the point that he could out gun and outrun anything a veritech jet could pull on him.

basicly make him the best of both worlds.

like what this guy did.

http://www.tfmaster.com/gallery_kb0148.php

and here

http://www.tfmaster.com/gallery_kb0147.php

i want to take that same approach with my classics jetfire when it comes to the increased weapons payload in general.

5. FireShot

FireShot Autobot Recon Team

Its a great idea...checkout ebay for Macross kits for the needed weapon payloads.

I'd do it!

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Impossible! :p 

Now, the thing is this. Looking at both of those galleries, that person went the opposite direction than you're looking. They took a Yamato 1/48 VF-1S and painted it in Jetfire colors... essentially just like the original G1 did. That means it comes with all the fun 1/48 Fast Pack details, like interior detailing and missile pods.

What you're suggesting is to go the other way... bolt on more weapons. The only really feasible way to do this on the classics sculpt is to put wing pylons for missiles, as I mentioned before that his transformation makes leg armor impossible, and Jetfire already has boosters and arm extensions.

Wander around a local hobby shop, if you have one, and eyeball their fighter jet kits. Find a nice cheap one which looks to have missile racks that'd fit your classics jetfire, and have at it. The racks and accessories from a 1/48 Yamato will not fit classics Jetfire... Jettie's head barely reaches the cockpit on a 1/48 Valkyrie in Battroid mode.

Revell kits are nice and prolific, and cheap too. I'd imagine a 1/72 or so would probably give you some nice sized missile pylons, as well. As for making them rotateable/removable... maybe steal some polycaps from a gundam model and build mounting pins for the racks. That's getting into more complex territory.

EDIT

Okay, so I'm looking over your original post again, and it looks like you want to scrap Jetfire's existing arm and shoulder packs entirely for macross ones? That's a bit more of a complicated affair. I'd recommend looking up Hasegawa's macross kits or some of hte older 1/100 Arri macross kits... Hasegawa's are mostly 1/72 scale and have a lot of detail. The Arii ones are smaller, and wont have as much detail, but I think they're some of the only ones with the fast packs included. I don't know about the feasibility of putting the arm guards onto Jetfire though, as they're a completely different shape from his arms. Leg armor, again, wont work. The fast packs wouldn't be TOO much of an issue I shouldn't think, though, as they're just bolt-ons.