A Question About Beast Machines (NO SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by agent j 15, Dec 26, 2018.

1. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

Before I start - SERIOUSLY NO SPOILERS FOR BEAST MACHINES OR BEAST WARS. I haven't finished Wars or started Machines, and managing to stay spoiler free for practically my entire life is one of the few things I'm proud of, along with not cheating on a significant other or not doing crystal meth. Both of those things are harder than you'd think.

My question is - is it entirely possible to watch Beast Machines WITHOUT having finished Beast Wars? Or does it help? I know Beast Machines gets a bad rep but honestly it looks so specifically my kind of late 90's/early 2000's WEIRD that I think I'll love it anyway. The theme song being such a strange trance song also helps, and I really do enjoy the designs. Problem is it's so damn hard to find EITHER show in a reliable physical format or on any streaming site that this question may utterly be rendered pointless.

2. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

I'd say watch Beast Wars first. A lot of the big revelations and character moments rely on developments from Beast Wars and would significantly lose their impact without familiarity with them.

Regardless, it's nice to see Beast Machines get some love. The show's quite underrated in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I watched them back to back and would recommend watching Wars to completion first.

Also, where are you from that you're having trouble finding them physical? I got both fairly cheap on eBay and Amazon. Beast Machines in particular was super affordable.

4. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

I'm in the US but on Amazon, Wars is like 300 bucks or something. Machines is easier to track down but I won't buy it unless I can find Wars cheap.

5. CaptainSlayer

6. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

• Like Like x 1
  7. CaptainSlayer

Any time :) 

8. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    You absolutely must see Beast Wars first. ALL of the revelations/spoilers that occur in Beast Machines, are utterly dependent upon knowing certain characters/events from BW.

Personally, I feel the series as a whole is better if you just totally skip BM, and "live as if the end of BW, was the end of the story". But that's just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the time, the showrunners said that they had never seen Beast Wars and they just did their own thing with the series, so it really shouldn't impact you if you don't watch BW either.

10. Reask

Reask Predacon

Oh it's possible to watch Machines without finishing Wars, but not recommended. You'll be missing out on one particular character growth which carried on from Wars, and you'll be wondering the importance about a particular set of missing characters if you watch Machines first.

DO NOT watch Beast Machines first, complete the Beast Wars that leads them onto the conclusion for these characters that you will grow to love. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Beast Machines is a direct sequel to Beast Wars so if you're trying to avoid spoilers watching it without finishing Beast Wars first would be inviting spoilers for the end of Beast Wars. The show is going to end up telling you exactly how Beast Wars ended. So if you want to stay spoiler free, finish Beast Wars first.

12. CaptainSlayer

You can't hide from the truth, David. You hate it, I hate it, but we must accept that it happened. :p 

^ Not actually a real spoiler but just wanting to be extra careful for OP. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Considering later events in the show, either the showrunners were flat-out lying with that statement, or "trying to mis-direct the audience, so as not to spoil later surprises".

• Like Like x 1
  14. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Following trend: Actually, Beast Machines wasn't actually supposed to end the Beast Era, that was supposed to be Trans Tech. But since Beast Machines bombed with audiences back then it was scrapped. Kinda glad though, looked like it would have caused more harm than good.

jD001

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

You're mostly right except that there's no evidence that Trans Tech was ever intended to end it. They could have potentially kept going with more and more sequels for who knows how long since they never made it there's no way to know for sure what actually would of happened if it kept going in that direction.

More not really a spoiler but I'm covering it anyway...

• Like Like x 1
  16. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What happened as far as we know, is they were instructed not to watch Beast Wars when they did season 1, but then went back and watched it after season 1 and that led to some of the development later in the show.

17. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I would watch Beast Wars first. Beast Wars is not only better than Beast Machines, but some of the characters are portrayed a bit differently in BW than they are in BM. Some for the better, some for worse.

You'll also understand the BW connections in season 2 better than you will if you were to watch BM first.

I thought BM was really written as one season, and only broken up into 2 seasons for the US market. Isn't that why season 2 had the subtitle; "Battle for the Spark" when it aired on Fox Kids, while the title isn't present on any of the shows DVD releases?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019