Customs: a question about base coats

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Jul 31, 2009.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    Ok, so i finally got to the hobby store and picked up a ton of enamel paints (Humbrol was suggested over all others) to start my first re-paint. i tried to ask as many questions a humanly possible but when it came to base coats the clerk said i would not need one. i made sure to ask on more than one occasion just to make sure i heard him correctly and he again stated i should only need a base coat if I'm modifying something major and the colors would need to match. then use a base coat, otherwise, it should be perfectly fine to just paint over the factory paint or plastic.

is this a fair statement? i made sure to let him know that i wasn't going to be painting model cars but transformers that had parts that would be moved around and fit and removed into areas model cars wouldn't have. he said i should be just fine.

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well what is it your painting? i use humbrol paints but only for detailing. if your doing full repaints your better off doing the priming, colour, and then clear coating route

3. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    I'm doing full repaints. i told the guy that! he said i could use the Humbrol with my airbrush too. said i wouldn't need much. i tried to explain to him with as much detail as possible. something deep down inside told me not to take everything he said at 100% since he's never painted a TF. he showed me some of his painted models that he did with Humbrol only and they looked really great.

My first repaint is going to be ROTF Ravage. any suggestions for base coats?

next on my list after Ravage is HA BB, Voyager Megatron, and eventually Leader Prime.

that's my agenda but im sure that could change.

Thanks!

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well yeah you can use humbrol in a airbrush i just find it good for brushing right out the pot.

it really depends what colour you put on top of a base coat if its silver or drybrushing try krylon fusion camoflauge or however you spell it, frenzy_rumble did a thread on it in radicons somewhere that stuff is gold for drybrushing!

otherwise if you say wanted a figure going from blue ro red id suggest primer 1st to kill the 1st colour and make the paint stick to it and look better!

5. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    perfect! thanks a bunch!