a question about backing up mp3 track info

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I just got a 120 gb microsoft zune and am using the 3.0 software. this is my first modern player, a lot of my tunes were on an older creative player with mixed up track info. after putting the 9000 or so songs into the microsoft collection, about 1000 of them had unknown artist/song/album data.

so after meticulously going through and getting the proper info, I'd like to know this: how can I back this up so that I never have to do it again in case of a hardware/software failure? ms' support page and forums I find pretty terrible, and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure it out on my own. thanks!

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i use ID3 renamer myself. it will add id3 tags to mp3 files based on the filename, which usually will have track numbers, artist names, etc, and you can also set it to batch rename entire folders of music to add any info you need like album name, genre, release date, or whatever. it can also rename all your mp3s based on id3 tags in such a way that all vital info is there in the filename, like say "album name - track no - artist - song title" which makes for easy recovery of that stuff if the tags get stripped somehow. it really saves a lot of time. i probably couldn't deal without it at this point with the size of my collection.

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    If you changed all the data through the Zune software, all your MP3 files should already be updated with the correct infomation. If you ever load the MP3s into another program, it should show the same information.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I thought Zune was pretty good at updating metadata.
    That's what I heard anyway -no experience with it.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

actually, taking a look at it, I think it HAS updated it! thanks guys.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Should you need to correct a whole bunch of MP3 metadata in the future, try using MuzicBrainz Picard. When all else fails, it can take an "audio fingerprint" of the file to try to find out what song it is.