Fan Art: A question about art requests/commissions...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nerroth, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi!

I was wondering what the usual procedure was when it came to either:

*Making a request for a piece of art (be it a re-paint of a certain image in another set of colours, or what have you)

or

*Commissioning a specific piece of TF-related art from one of the resident artists (or sounding out if anyone would be interested in a particular project)?

Also, is there a set rate that artists agree to use for such-and-such a piece of work, or is that arranged on a deal-by-deal basis?

For example, I was thinking of requesting (or commissioning) a piece of art which would feature a number of pre-existing TF figures (or chassis, to try and use a more in-universe term) but re-decoed to match Guardian and Renegade characters in a story I was working on - as well as a few Autobot and Decepticon characters using alternate designs as part of the storyline.

Eventually, It would be great if I could figure out a way to turn the story into a short comic, and see if someone would be interested in reading it (The story would be tied to the IDW continuity, in case you're wondering) - but that would be another stage altogether, and beyond the scope of what I'm asking about now.

What would be the best way for me to see if anyone would be interested?

Gary

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

asking the artist you're interested in?

in all honesty, commissions and their pricing is all set by the artist
    there isnt any real "universal pay scale" to commissions, heh.

depending on what you want, how you want it, the prices will vary. but in the end its all up to whatever you and the artist agree on. best way to find out what artists charge or if they're available is to just send 'em a PM or something

3. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said. :) 

- GWX

4. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Oh, right.

I was thinking that perhaps some might want to see an idea posted here, and let the person know if they were interested - it seemed to be less intrusive a method than going one-by-one to each artist in question.

Also, in case there were artists out there I hadn't learmed about before, but wanted to try out a new idea - putting it here might be a way to get the suggestion out.

Gary

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ah

well you can feel free to post something and see if anyones interested
    the only thing is you may not attract the artist you want
    [not to say anybody who answers sucks, but theres a difference between just asking freely and getting what ya get and asking an artist you want directly and getting what you want]

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Understood.

(Personally, I was thinking that a combination of both approaches may be a semi-sound idea - ask artists you are more aware of directly, but also put the idea up in case others see something the might be interested in...)

Could - or should - there perhaps be a sub-section here specifically for such requests? (To make sure that they don't clutter up space for artists to show their work!)

And thanks for your help, Josh - and please feel free to think about that Guardian/Renegade idea!

EDIT: And there's a 404 error when I try to check your site - how long has it been down? Will it be back up soon?

Gary

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    cool

yeah

ultimately you can go about it finding artists any way you want
    what matters is you get what you want

far as i know theres no sub-forum for that
    most people just post a thread here

[and yeah. my sites been down for like a month :p  it went over its bandwidth awhile back and got locked. which is okay i guess. i wanna get to redesigning the site anyway. but ive got a gallery here if you're really that interested :3

http://dcjosh.deviantart.com

8. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Yeah, it really depends on what you want and whether the peice is 2D or 3D. In general, 3D is probably more expensive simply because of the workload involved. The good news though is that once it's done, you can literally do just about anything you want with the model.