A problem with an auction I won --- advice requested

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tenebrouser, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

OK, let me start by saying that I am not new to Ebay and have a great reputation for handling transactions there. I am the buyer in this circumstance.

If you've seen my G1 stuff in my collection thread, then you know that I greatly value vintage items. However, recently a situation has come to a head and I would like some of your input on how to proceed.

Here's how things have proceeded to this point:

1. I won a couple of auctions from a seller in Canada for some MOSC G1 items two weeks ago.

2. I pay for the items the next morning, using PayPal. The shipping is combined $23, which from Canada to the U.S. is fair. (Its actual cost was ~$21)

3. Yesterday, I get the items, packaged excellently and unharmed. One of the items, a MOSC Spinister, is perfect. I'm happy with that and set it aside.

The other is a MOSC Squawktalk/Beastbox. Immediately upon inspection, I suspect that it's a knockoff. Input from another thread on this board confirms this info. without my bringing the "dead giveaways" up: Chinese markings and blacked out copyright text under the tech specs. This info. was new to me upon bidding for it, but from the auction pictures this Chinese text is not clearly visible. Since he was selling a bunch of vintage sealed items, I presumed the Beastbox/Squawktalk to be legit.

4. Aggravated by this fact because the auction advertised an original Squawtalk/Beastbox, I contact the seller to ask what gives, as I payed the value of what an original would cost. That would be $86, plus part of the $23 in the combined shipping.

Before going to Ebay over the matter, I figured it was best to deal with the seller first to try to work things out, as he has 100% feedback with over 100 auctions.

5. After a few email exchanges, the seller agrees to refund me the money for the item upon sending it back to him, as he apparently didn't know they were fakes either. Great, right? Well, that's not unreasonable, but I'm weary of the idea of sending the item back to him without getting my money back first. Common sense concern, but I relent, as I was trying to be a good Ebayer.

6. I contact the seller to arrange a shipping address and terms of the reimbursement. All I request is to receive my money from the auction, which includes the shipping. I want a full refund, not part of one. I already paid for shipping the first time.

7. I get an email back this morning where he refuses to pay for shipping.

8. I email back politely refusing these terms. I want a full refund.

So, how should I handle this next?

I would like not to go through Ebay to rectify this, but the seller has relented in the emails that they're fakes and that I should get a refund, just not for shipping. In addition, I'm uncomfortable about sending the item back to him without some sort of protection from Ebay (like a standard auction).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but this whole thing is frustrating.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I say eat the shipping or contact paypal about it. Most people wont refund shipping as they dont want to lose out on cash. Best luck to you

3. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I would say to eat the shipping as well. Write it off to a lesson learned.

I have to imagine that the seller had no idea the origins of the toy. Hell, even a lot of savvy collectors don't.

4. Tenebrouser

He didn't know. Heck, I didn't until I saw the strange Chinese markings.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Even the knockoff is expensive btw.

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I'd see if maybe you could get a partial refund since the item ended up being not as discribed. That is if you want the item at all. If not, you guys should go in half for the shipping costs.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I didn't think there WAS a KO beastbox/squalktalk. you sure there was one?

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Well, if you don't want it, if the quality is as good as the original, I can offer you $50 shipped for it. Try to get the difference as a partial refund. :) 

9. Tenebrouser

That's what I offered next.

He gets:

The item shipped back to him before I get my refund. That's a nice gesture on my part, IMO.

I get:

My refund when he gets his item.

We both go in half and half on shipping.

The risk here is that the seller claims there was damage to the box or something and I'm left hanging.

10. Lord Bacon

Lord Bacon BACON DUKE

file a complaint with paypal and ebay. you have the upper hand. don't send it back to him...he wouldn't front the item to you before you paid, would he?

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IIRC, i think eBay would expect you to return it first.

If it was licensed or not is contested by some but
    There is definitely a Squawk talk /Beastbox made with a Chinese sticker placed in the upper right corner.

I had one many years back and sold it on not knowing the potential significance of the sticker. The odd time people make honest mistakes.

12. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want to take it up with ebay you only have a small window of time. So whatever you do, do it FAST.

13. Tenebrouser

We've come to an agreement.

I get a full refund, plus the original shipping amt.

I pay to ship the item back to him.

So everything worked out.

Lesson: be aware of Chinese KOs.

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say:

In the ideal world, he should have to refund the shipping too, as the product you received was not what was described/identified in the auction.

...however we don't live in the ideal world, where everything happens as it should. He seems willing to accept that the sale was not legit, but quite simply doesn't want to lose money over the issue, so doesn't want to pay the shipping (even though he should...no one want to work to lose money).

The best solution then would be to share the shipping costs, however he obviously might not co-operate.

WIDER LESSON LEARNED: stay away from in package/on card g1 items that have KOs out, this particularly applying for the cassette tape transformers. I know the news on these two guys is new, but it's like going out on ebay and looking to buy an original g1 misb Swoop, being happy you got it cheap, and then finding out it was a KO.

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I once had a similar problem with a LEGO set - it was advertised as complete but it wasn't. We agreed that I'd send it back and get full refund. Took them 3 months before they bothered to refund me. Kind of annoying.