A (probably not very well thought out) question.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Yoakem, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

Could an bot "offline" itself, say if it were dying already, and just didn't want to "suffer"? And I don't mean, stab himself or blow himself up; I mean to say, if he's already in pieces and nonfunctional, can he offline himself from within? I ask mainly for fanfictions sake, but also because I'm genuinely curious, and rather noobish.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Even if they can't normally off themselves, you could always write something into your piece along the lines of ha, I've made modifications to my whatever so that I can pull the switch with a single thought, type of deal.

I mean, as long as you don't specifically mention what colour Rumble & Frenzy are, nobody should question the legitimacy of your work.

3. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

Pardon, Rumble and Frenzy? I'm missing something here, and I don't like it. I promise to be a better fan. I'll listen to episodes in my sleep so I can catch up. ... Probably not, though.

4. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, there is Stasis Lock, which is the TF equivalent of a coma. Take enough damage and they can shut down until repairs are made. Though they can, in rare cases, override the command in order to keep functioning. However this comes with the risk of loosing their spark, like with Dinobot in Code of Hero.

Here.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well basically, Rumble & Frenzy look the same, except of course for one of them being blue & the other one being red. As a result of several different continuities (not to mention colouring mistakes within them), there's been ongoing debates in regards to which one of them is actually what colour. Rumble will always be the blue one to me because that's how he usually was in the comics I remember (at least [this] bio page), but the opposing argument has just as much validity.

I just brought it up for joke, and hopefully someone else can answer your "self offing" question better.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    We also saw in Beast Wars that Dinobot did consider suicide to atone for his loss of honor, but in the end found a different way to redeem himself. He seemed to be considering something more along the line of seppuku though, rather than simply flipping his own off-switch.

7. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

That's a good bit of information to have, thanks. I know I may not be 100% accurate in what I write, but I don't post any of it to the public until I know for sure. So I don't feel that bad for not knowing things yet.

I figured it was a joke- those often fly right over my head, but thanks for explaining!

I haven't even touched Beast Wars yet- but that sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe I can juggle G1 and Beast wars until SE2 of Prime comes out.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Might as well finish G1 first, they sort of tie into each other, though you could probably watch them in parallel without any problems.

9. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Well in the Five Faces Of Darkness, Rodimus started tearing himself apart to make himself go into "Stasis Lock." So I would say that yes, a Transformers can "self terminate."

Speaking of which, if the bearer of the matrix gets to communicate with previous Autobot leaders while they're in stasis lock, did Optimus spend four million years conversing with previous Autobot leaders???

10. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    Well, Jetfire was suffering and clearly dying, so he pulled his own spark out of his chest and "offline"-ed himself. Is that what you're talking about? Dinobot's internal computer also tried to put him into stasis lock when it appeared he was going to die, but Dinobot did an override of it, eventually resulting in his death. So I suppose there is precedent.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IIRC Protecobot Hotspot self-destructed in Marvel Comics G2 when being chased by COBRA.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jetfire just ripped the spark out himself so I imagine they can commit suicide
    plus what to stop them frm putting a cannon to their head and firing?

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Or you could go to tfwiki.net and read.

--Moony

14. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

Someone already linked me, otherwise I would have. I figured it was just a joke I missed. I didn't realize how much I'd have to know in order to get the joke, lol.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In Beast Wars Dinobot specifically denied Stasis Lock (which puts a TF in a "coma" to save them from serious injury) to let himself continue fighting, knowing full well doing so made his death a sure thing, so I'd say yes. Depending on what specific fiction you're going for, they could override restrictions and safties to offline themselves.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    BW Megatron said cutting a normal spark with with an energon blade would kill it, so I suppose if a TF had some kind of energon weapon handy they could do themselves. Maybe just a huge overload of energon might even do it. Perhaps the TF could find some way to route all the energon stored in their body into their spark. One of the main plot basics in BW was that a lot of energon can overload a TF, hence going into stasis to probably avoid that being a permanent offline. Although that was raw energon.

17. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    In WFC u can self destruct