A Prime Problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, as a relatively new collector, I am lacking what many consider to be the centerpiece of a Transformers collection: Optimus Prime. I certainly don't intend for this to be permanent, but until recently I was not prepared to spend money on a Leader, and I disliked the RotF Voyager.

I resolved to get a Leader Prime to pose with my future Leader Starscream, and also because of the figure's excellent reviews. However, since this would be a display piece, when word of the Jetfire + Prime boxset reached me I was confronted by a new temptation. Jetfire's not the best figure but the repaint makes it more palatable, and it's the best version of Prime that I ever expected to see.

But, then comes ToyFair. Battle Blades Optimus...well, it will be bought by me. No question at'all. The question is whether to pull the trigger on another Prime.

Buster + Jetfire still looks tempting, but it's much more money than I've spent on a TF before so I hesitate. It would be cool to have that big Prime to pose with Starscream, with Jetfire either combined or towering over my Deluxe Autobots.

And then, another wrinkle: "Unite for the Universe" Prime. At first glance, I was vaguely appreciative, but not much more than that. After all I borderline hate that Prime, and the weapons aren't as accurate at the Leader combo. But I'm starting to appreciate it more, considering it actually USES the figure's big-ass backpack. Further, I'm very surprised by all of the people coming out of the woodwork saying that this combination blows Leader JetPrime away, Leader JetPrime is way too fiddly, should never have bothered with it, etc, etc. I don't like to think of myself as swaying to peer pressure but...it was an interesting reaction.

So I'm not going to buy UU Prime unless it comes stateside cheap, but if it does, I might actually think about it now, what with the whole "Leaders are large and expensive" thing. But on the other hand...Buster Prime looks like a hell of a display piece.

So fair readers of TFW2005, what do YOU think?

(As for other versions of Prime, I might seek out a cheap Classics Prime or WfC Prime to go with my G1 homages. Not in the market for an Animated Prime.)

2. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say the best two options are getting the currently at retail ROTF Leader Prime, or seeing how much the Unite for the Universe Voyager will cost. The new Battle Blades Voyager personally just kind of doesn't do it for me. A scaled down version of the leader mold may help the fiddly transformation a tad, but the detail, wow factor and size will be lost on this voyager. The UU mold certainly looks impressive with the Jetifre parts, but waiting for that could take awhile.

I'd just try and nab an ROTF Leader Prime at a clearance price if only because, well I've never paid full price for a leader class figure. Never saw the point when most of them get clearanced sometime down the line.

3. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I was about to post the same question.

4. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    My two cents:

Buster Prime is gorgeous, but at this point I feel like the best bang for your buck option is to snag the basic ROTF Leader Prime at $35 if you can find it at that price in your area. Pass on Jetfire entirely unless you desperately want to have a Power-Up Prime.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Does it have to be movie Optimus? If not, skip the movie stuff alltogether and send the money on Masterpiece G1 Optimus.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    buddy, if you only wanna buy one version of Optimus, you may be getting into the wrong fandom :lol 

7. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    If it were me, I would buy a Buster Prime and a Unite for the Universe Powerup Optimus. The Buster Optimus is gorgeous and the Unite for the Universe seems to be the best way of getting the suped-up Optimus.

Though this is true...

8. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, let's not talk about the number of Starscreams I have... :lol 

Which still won't be very many compared to a lot of you, but it seems like a lot to me. :cool: 

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'd just wait if I were you. These things are a dime a dozen and I'm sure late 2010 or 2011 will produce other versions of the great Autobot leader. Until we see more real pictures of the upcoming Primes it's hard to say which would be the best bang for the buck right now.

It sounds like you don't want to dump a ton of $ into one, so RoTF Leader Prime (for $35 it's a great buy for a TF fan/collector) or this upcoming Voyager that looks a little Buster-Prime-ish might be your best bet.

I've love a Masterpiece Prime or a Buster Prime, but I'm not spending $100+ to have a toy shipped to me from Japan. You have to draw the line somewhere.

..and don't knock Leader Jetfire until you've seen him in person in jet mode. He's not too shabby.

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I suggest that you get the good Classics Prime (Voyager), not the bug-eyed one from the two pack that's a small deluxe. And get some form of MP Prime - THAT'S a centerpiece. I can't tell you which ROTF Prime to get, but I'm plenty happy with the normal US released one, though the Jetfire two-pack is the nicest. I totally regret owning Jetfire though. What a piece of shit.

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, with the upcoming new voyager Prime, the problem should be solved.

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Get the Buster Prime/Jetfire 2-pack. I have it, and it's got to be my favorite TF ever, and the Jetfire it comes with is also really fun too. Two really fantastic Leader molds.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Well as far as the "bang-for-my-buck" thing, I would like to own a Leader Jetfire to some extent, and thus I would actually rather pay for the boxset (which has the figures at pretty much retail price...it's only the shipping that goes over) than for *just* Buster Prime.

The other side of the coin is, I don't want to buy too many fancy-pants expensive figures, but the ones I do buy I want to be likely to keep for a long time. From what I've heard, it's unlikely that there will be a substantially more-accurate and nicer-looking version of this Optimus than Buster Prime. OTOH, if I get the regular Leader and I get tempted to buy a slightly shinier TF3 version...well, I'm out less money total but I also have another plastic thing lying around my apartment. And I won't have Jetfire, which I like as a character and who probably isn't getting another toy for reasons of being dead.

About the only thing that's really changed in my analysis is that suddenly the UU Prime thread is full of people who are denouncing the Leader figure as hopelessly fiddly and not worth it as long as there's a well-painted, combining Voyager. Is this just "shiny new toy syndrome" or have I overlooked criticisms of the Leader mold (having never held one in-hand)?

Oh, and to answer someone else's question, I'm not really looking for an MP Prime anytime soon. I'm probably getting an MP Grimlock and perhaps a Classics Voyager Prime to go with him.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Out of the Primes I own, includng the MP Prime, the ROTF Leader Optimus Prime (I got the first, regular version) is by far the best Prime I've ever touched.

IMO, this figure should be a MUST in any collection. I can't speak if the Buster version is any better, but the mold in general is a must.