A Prime Problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wazzpinator, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

Not the G1 episode folks.

Ok, I've been looking online at several G1-ish Primes. But just looking at pictures isn't enough. There are some reviews, but what I really want is to know which one is the best, like a comparison. Or which one people would suggest.

I've really been looking at 2 pack Classics Prime. (with Megatron)
    He looks awesome with modern articulation. Would I be able to get him by himself somewhere cheap? (Megatron is sorta bleh to me in that pack)
    Is voyager Classics Prime and good? Is the henkei version better? Or is Nemesis better? Thanks if you can help, and now for two completely random questions.

1.) Is it cheaper to paint a classics Meg's silver, or buy Henkei?

2.) Ultra Magnus City commander set. Is it legal to buy it? I mean, Hasbro disn't make it did they?

Thanks for any help, and for reference, MP Prime is to expensive and is out of the question.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    2 pack classic Prime sux.
    Get the Henkei Prime.
    Also with megs... get the Henkei.

Its not called Ultra Magnus it just called City commander so Hasbro cant do nothing.

you can get the DVD verson of 2oth anni MP Prime much cheaper.

3. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Don't get Henkei anything. They are so overpriced it's not funny. Go with the regular, voyager Classics Prime. For Megs, either get the Classics Megs and ignore the paint, or wait for Animated Earth Mode Megs. Just please...if you can avoid it, don't buy Henkei if you don't want to pay double the price. i just think it's silly to pay double for a slightly different paint job.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you can get a good deal on the Henkei versions, go for them. Otherwise yeah, go with the US ones.

The Two Pack Optimus Prime is not very good to be honest. Not a great representation of the character and the vehicle mode is weak. If you want an Optimus in that style, try looking up the Robot Masters G1 Convoy. It's a bit harder to find these days, but the robot mode looks loads better.

5. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    masterpiece prime, 20th anniversary

6. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Once you lock the Classics Deluxe Prime's waist into place, he makes for one amazingly poseable Prime. The Alt mode is pure crap, there's no two ways about it, it plain sucks. But bot mode is really quite amazing. My only gripe is the bug-eyed look he as with those slightly too-large eyes. Still, a really great version of Prime.

Classics Voyager Prime, again, has a somewhat crap alt mode, but it's not too bad, just not very realistic looking. But again, in bot mode, he's really quite great. I don't have any problems with the Hasbro paint scheme, I think it's actually quite a good update while remaining much of the G1 feel to it. The Henkei version, for some reason, just doesn't work for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I prefer the Hasbro paint job. Plus, the mark-up in price is just ridiculous for a different paint job.

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'd say to avoid the 2 pack Classics Prime.. the Voyager Classics Prime version is way better. But it's all about what you like the most.

I'd also say if you have the money spring for the 20th or DVD Prime. Sometimes they go cheap or maybe one is warming a shelf near you..

About Classics/Henkei Megatron, I'd say spring for the Henkei if you like that paint scheme. Go for the Hasbro Classics one if you've got the time and or skills to repaint him.

8. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:

You do know that transformers dont cost the same all over the world right ???

Case in point there was a post from a guy that went into a Japanese TRU and took some pics of the displays Henkie BB was in the neighborhood of 1600 Yen about 15 american dollars at retail. Most place are charging about 25 bux which after packaging and shipping is maybe a coulpe buxs profit.

But for the OP get what you like if you can't afford it then save up. There's alot to paint on megs to get him looking g1 ish therefore alot of room to make a mistake or for you to not like it when its done then you'll just going to have to get another one and even US classic megs isn't all that cheap.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

More like the US has crazy low prices on toys.

10. Wazzpinator

Thanks everyone for all the help. Looks like Voyager US Prime is being loved. And about the MP Prime, there's a store near me that has a DVD version for like, 80$ or something. And thanks to those who pitched in henkei and Fanproject comments. Hopefully I'll find a voyager Prime at TFcon. P.S, about Robot Masters Prime, I found a black and red light up knock off of it at the dollar store!

11. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've got a few options as far as G1-esque Primes go, depending on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for exactly.

The Voyager Classics Prime, as already stated, is a very excellent Prime. Probably the best price-to-quality ratio you'll find. Solid and sexy in both modes, great articulation, and nice weaponry. Good sculpt and colors. I don't see the sense in paying extra for the Henkei version. The added chrome and SOME paint apps aren't worth it, in my opinion.

The Deluxe Classics "two-pack" Prime is crummy. Avoid it.

If you're willing to put down a little extra, the Robot Masters G1 Convoy (Prime is called Convoy in Japan, if you weren't aware) is very nice. Good articulation, very faithful to the G1 look, and great accessories.

There's also the THS-02 (Transformers Hybrid Style) Convoy to look at. It might run you a bit more than the other figures mentioned, but it's truly awesome. It's a tiny figure, about four inches, but it's all the bells and whistles of the much larger (and more expensive) MP Primes. Excellent articulation, amazing paint and sculpt. Multiple hands, a tiiiiiny Autobot Matrix of Leadership, a trailer that opens and contains all of his accessories (including an Energon Axe and his gun), a working Roller with turning and spinning wheels, and a refueling nozzle! The trailer also has an articulated repair pod and a spring-loaded ramp that pops out. THS-02 also comes with a really nice stand to get all those action poses in. Last but not least, a jetpack with movable nozzles is provided for Prime to wear (apparently taken from a G1 ep). This little Prime has a LOT going for it. I can't recommend it enough.

And then of course, if you're really looking to shell out the big bucks, there's the Masterpiece Primes, essentially the best G1 Primes ever made. They come in multiple flavors of course. The Hasbro USA releases are all plastic, with shortened stacks (child safety laws, bah), and guns in varying colors. The Takara Japanese release has diecast content, longer stacks, and a proper-colored gun. MP-01 is just Prime himself, while MP-04, which is considerably more expensive, also comes with a fully-functional trailer. There is no US release that comes with a trailer (though a couple groups online had made their own, custom trailers before we saw MP-04.

12. Wazzpinator

Never heard of the hybrid style one. Yesterday though on eBay i saw A G1 complete prime minus a smokestack, with a Jetfire, Perceptor, and Sludge, for around ten bucks. I'm so tempted.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

All true except for the first bit. There are NO plastic MP-style Primes.

For $10? Heck, why would you consider NOT going for it?

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd definitely suggest the Classics Voyager version. The deluxe one is garbage. Hybrid Style Convoy is awesome, but very small. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Go with the US version of the voyager Prime, Megatron, and the deluxes for the rest (unless it's Thundercracker, in that case go with the Japanese, since the Botcon costs more than the exclusive)

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

as far as the classics/henkai megs goes, I spent $9 on paint (red, clear red, and black) and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

17. Wazzpinator

Wow! If that's what a little paint can do, I'm definitely painting one!

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd recommend it - great thing about customising is you can make yourself exactly the fig you want. CHK's touched up a Henkei one there (very nicely too); I'm working through my Classics Megs (mostly silver, black and gold, though I'm thinking of going back and adding a few chrome bits) and he's looking reasonably sharp so far.

19. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Here's my version of Classics Voyager Megatron:

[​IMG]

I can honestly say that removing the wings and repainting him was the most satisfying thing i ever did.