A possible influence for Prime Arcee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Maybe it's just me, but I finally figured out what Arcee's new design reminds me of - Priss's mecha suit from the anime Bubblegum Crisis. Maybe someone on the production team is a fan of the show, or maybe it's just coincidence, but Arcee's movement feels very reminnicent of the Knight Sabers to me. Not to mention Priss also rode a very Arcee looking bike that could combine with her mecha suit (though Arcee has defiantely been a bike before too).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
    YouTube - Bubblegum Crisis - Victory - Priss and the Replicants
    (warning: video contains brief nudity)

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I've actually seen a few other people make the same connection. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out to be true. I can definitely see the similarity.

3. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Ask Jose Lopez.

4. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I saw the u-tube video. their appears to be some resemblence

In the u-tube video. the half naked women was hot. ever hotter was seeing 2 females help each other get dressed.

5. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I don't think there's much doubt on the influence. Too many similarities: the general lines to the character, the colors, a motorcycle, and even the personality.

It's not like Bubblegum is some obsure anime. I'm sure the Prime artists have seen Bubblegum and are paying homage to its most memorable character. A robot cartoon artist who hasn't seen Bubblegum isn't doing his homework. Heck, flip attacks are like a Priss specialty.

The linked video is from the 1987 Bubblegum version. The 1999 Bubblegum Crisis 2040 is even a closer similarity in terms of looks, movement, and heavy use of cycle mecha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    If anyone recalls the Transtech Blackarachnia designs from a while ago, those seemed Bubblegum-inspired as well (especially the rounded helmet). It could be the case that they looked at BA's Transtech model and got the idea of a Bubblegum hardsuit design for TFP Arcee as well. Even Optimus' long arms seemed to me like something taken from his Transtech design too.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YEAH YEAH I noticed that too, and there seems to be more anime influence in other designs as well,

Optimus reminds me alot of classic mecha like Mazinger Z and Soundwave is flat out Evangelion

8. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

And Starscream is every bishounen to ever exist:lol 

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but don't the generic decepticons, kind'a resemble boomers? lol

plus since she is burger boy's "bike" doesn't that kind'a make her the main character of the series? *aka the bumblebee or hot shot of this series*?

in that case, it seems that the whole SHOW was based on bubblegum crisis, not just one character. just saying.

10. UNI Prof

UNI Prof Well-Known Member

I thought Arcee's bike looked a lot like Prowl.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well think about it. It's from an era when anime wasn't huge in America like it is now but it was sort of spread from person to person with an attitude of you have to see this. People who were lucky enough to have seen anime before it was everywhere are sure to be influenced. I'm sure some of those people grew up to be artist.

Personally I think it's great that nods to some of the classic stuff can find it's way into the modern era. Really kind of brings something different to Transformers while still retaining some of the elements we are used to.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I can think of no finer homage to Priss than this version of Arcee

And on that note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmh21CWHgDI

YouTube - Bubblegum Crisis AMV - Devil and Angel's Kiss

My favourites

13. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Not really seeing it.

In terms of humanoid robots, there's only so much variety that can really be included. After enough characters have been made, it just becomes easier to say hey that reminds me of this, etc.

14. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Yes, the combination of blue, pink, and gray is extremely common. Especially on females with an attitude and a motorcycle. Yup, pure coincidence.

In fact, it's a pure coincidence that this Optimus Prime is sorta like other Optimus Primes. The colors, roles, and personality all have been done before. No intentional resemblance, just chance.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Holy crap, that's been bugging me for ages. I knew I recognized some kind of influence on her design from somewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me identify it. Awesome! I love BGC.

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Spoilsport. >:[

I can totally see the resemblance/homage. Nice job, OP.