A pondering on TF names

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autoclot, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

No idea where this thought came from, but I was wondering... are all TFs supposed to have unique names within the fiction? I don't remember ever seeing a population count for Cybertron in any of the continuities, but it's always clear that there's far more than just the "core cast".

If the population of Cybertron is anything Earth, then they'd run out of English names / words pretty quickly if they didn't reuse them. So... are Optimus, Bumblebee and Arcee the only Cybertronians with those names, or are they actually just the Cybertronian equivalents of Peter, Dan and Susan?

2. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

i think those englisch names are just code-names and not their real name.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Transformers probably use translations of their Cybertronian names while on Earth, so humans can pronounce them, but I bet a few TF's would have the same name, we just don't hear about it. Hasbro tries to have everyone in one continuity have a different name, but I bet some generics who aren't named have names like other TFs.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think its more like you'd be named for your specialty, some aspect of your personality, or your appearance rather than your parent's preference or an allusion to some dead ancestor. Similar to a "codename" or a "callsign", but more important. We've seen Transformers change their names to suit new bodies and new outlooks, so its possible that the names we see characters with aren't the names they had when they rolled off the assembly line.

Also, I don't think you'd run out of "VERBNOUN" names very quickly. 25 years later and we're still getting new names.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's two thunderblasts in Cybertron (deluxe and minicon), so yeah, multiple individuals share names just like one earth.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

There are two Devastators in the movieverse. They happened to be named after the same uncle.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I just always figures that Transformer names are simply the closest human (English-speaking for most of us here) approximation of their Cybertronian designations, or a name used to reflect their character based on what they know about local culture.

I mean, they didn't actually have "Jazz" music on Cybertron 4 million years ago, or have knowledge of what a "Bumblebee" was.

8. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

In G1 there is two autobots named Sky High. One is a micromaster and the other one is a pretender.

Edit: If I buy a Hasbro Universe Silverbolt and throw some babyblue paint on his chest and some red on his face it will be an instant classic Sky High (micromaster)..hmm..

9. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Ask Oxford" website]The Second Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words. To this may be added around 9,500 derivative words included as subentries. Over half of these words are nouns, about a quarter adjectives, and about a seventh verbs; the rest is made up of interjections, conjunctions, prepositions, suffixes, etc. These figures take no account of entries with senses for different parts of speech (such as noun and adjective).[/QUOTE]

That gives ~114,000 nouns and ~32,500 verbs, which gives a total of around 3.7bn names in the verbnoun format. Given that a planetary population could be quite significantly higher than that (Earth is ~6bn, Primus knows how many Cybertronians there are), any given name would still be used multiple times over the whole planet.

The only reason we haven't run out yet is because Hasbro only names the ones that get released as toys :) 

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the Marvel UK coimics, there were 2 Divebombs until one of them became Swoop.

11. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Let's not forget that in established canon, we KNOW that the "Optimus" and "Megatron" monickers have been passed down and/or self-claimed by individuals other than the "originals."

I refer, naturally, to Beast Wars Optimus and Megatron. This, at least, establishes that Cybertronian culture does not consider a name to be the sacrosanct "property" of a single individual for all time.

I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of name recycles across the planet, especially when you consider how often within a single TF-line (sometimes even just a wave or case assortment apart...) you get two different characters with the same name.

D/L

12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

There's also 2 Tracers in G1, though one is a Nebulan.

In the UK, there were 2 Flames. The mad Autobot scientist in the comics and the member of the Motorvator Assault Force, which also featured a second Lightspeed.

Actually, there's nothing to suggest Motorvator Lightspeed wasn't the Technobot. They had similar appearances.

Then again, Universe Treadbolt isn't necessarily the the Micromaster so there could be 2 Treadbolts in G1.

In the Unicron Trilogy, there were 2 Skyblasts, a Mini-con and an Omni-con.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe running into someone with the same name in the TF universe is something similar to running into someone wearing the same outfit at a party: You don't expect it to happen, and its awkward and kind of embarassing.

We havent seen any evidence to indicate that re-use of names is common, if anything, it seems to be more a case of unfortunate cooincidence or ancient historical reference. Ravage in Beast Wars didn't say "Wow. You named yourself Megatron, that's never happened before", but he didn't say "Oh great, another Megatron. How original" either. It could be its just something that happens from time to time, but that cybertronians generally try to avoid.

14. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We've got two Skydives one is a Aerilbot and one is a Predator.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's no pretender Skydive. that's Sky High.