Heavy/Scratch: A play with prints. WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The Madness, May 24, 2018.

1. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I’ve had a bit of time up my sleeve recently, so I’ve decided to jump aboard the crowded Shapeways bandwagon as things there appear to be on the verge of getting interesting in regards to materials. I've probably got a few weeks left, so we'll see how far I get. In the tradition of more than a few WIP threads this will likely start out relatively promising and end out 'less promising' by the time I work on the finish.

[​IMG]
    Effects:

Laser flare/Gunfire

The first experiment was a set of blast effects printed in FUD. This was mostly a test of wall thickness to see what I could get away with.

if I had my time over, I wouldn’t have made support cages, as I’ve found that support material, the wax used by Shapeways, gives the FUD a coarse texture wherever it makes contact. Subsequently the smaller blasts had a kind of textured X through them.

Mounts/escape holes were 5mm in diameter, suiting a range of weapons, though a series of steps were made to fit a broader range of guns.

Painting wasn’t a great success, particularly using clear purple lacquer for decepticon fire. I’m awaiting delivery of the appropriate thinner, however it’s too late for one particular piece, which is now a pearly white from too many paint removal baths. It’s hard to find a good translucent purple paint.

The orangey blast turned out OK, but the blending with yellow was obviously too subtle. The textured X shows up well in this photo.

[​IMG]

The blend turned out better in the flamey one, but I'm not satisfied with the stylisation of the flames. At least I know how fine a point I can get away with. Nothing has broken off yet.

[​IMG]

A rage of smaller muzzle flashes were printed at different sizes, which I'll paint soon.

I’ve made two explosions, though only printed one. Given they end up close to $20 and the delivery cost is about the same, I’m not in a hurry to print the other one.

Heads:

[​IMG]

I printed up a couple of heads in FUD, both based on old models from 6-8 years ago. The Comic Max head is just a TM plate, slightly larger than the others to scale with the Kabaya model. I'm dreading having to paint the details onto this one.

The Galvatron head isn't a Titan Master, but splits into head, face and eyes for painting convenience. I didn't appreciate how small the eyes were until I received the print. They're slivers of plastic.

Don't worry about the shoulder pads, I just made them on a whim to add to the biceps.

I'm hoping not to bugger these guys up too much when painting. I've not painted figures with a brush before. We'll see how I go.

Prototypes:

[​IMG]

Just stuffing around with rockets for Swoop. They're a bit tight currently and more detail is lost than I'd like.

Thanks for indulging me.

Attached Files:

• ico.jpg
      ico.jpg
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 25
  2. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I really dig those Effects parts. They could add much personality to a figure display.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    link please i need 400 of those effect parts

• Like Like x 1
  4. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i love the idea of effect part sets for my figures/displays!

• Like Like x 1
  5. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

me too

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think effect parts are where the crappy material Shapeways uses would excel. The graininess of it wouldn't be a detriment to these, unlike mechanical pieces, as they don't need to be super smooth or detailed.

Is the explosion hollow, or solid? Hollow would maybe decrease the cost as well as allow for interior lighting.

7. The Madness

Thank you, that's pretty much the inspiration behind the dios and effects. I'm not excited by rows of figures standing at attention, so I decided to make some interactive displays. Still, most new acquisitions get plonked down in the middle of a display, so I need to shake things up every once in a while.

Cheers guys, I don't have a store, but I'm sure I can make things available if those who are interested let me know what you're after. I may need to jiggle a few things around as some parts share sprues currently, but it shouldn't take long.

I have to agree that hard surfaces come off less than flattering with the available materials. I admire the work some people put into smooth finishes on the material, as I generally don't have patience for it. I'm quite happy with the coarse WSF texture for clouds of dust/soil/smoke etc. I think it adds detail to vaguely chaotic elements. The clear FUD works well for fire or plasma, but there appears to be a bit of an art to limiting the frosting and course texturing.

Yeah, the explosion is already hollow, with a 4mm shell (picture below). I could probably thin the shell and open up the escape hole a bit, as its currently pretty firm, or shrink it slightly. I had little LED inserts for it but I've misplaced them.

------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to write up some of my painting experience next...

• Like Like x 6
  8. The Madness

Sorry for the double...

While waiting for my lacquer thinner to arrive from China I decided to make a start on the heads, primarily the Galvatron one.

Now the majority of paints mentioned on these forums aren’t available in Australia, (I would have loved to have one of those Elmer’s purple paint pens, but nobody delivers them here), so my main choice was Tamiya, or a drive 30km for Mr Hobby. As it turns out, I recalled a Games Workshop had recently moved into the area, as I’d seen many mention for Citadel paints and as I liked the idea of using acrylics I thought I’d give it a go.

Fifty dollars later I had a can of primer and four pots of paint (Red, blue, black and white. And yes, the primer was $AUD30). I must say, the primer was pretty good. In fact, the paints were good too as they applied really well and had great coverage. But, and I’m probably the only one ignorant of this, they mix like shit! I bought the closest colour to primary red and the cleanest vivid blue, then mixed them together evenly to make a putrid burgundy grey.

Now there’s bound to be some kind of unspoken law like “don’t mix Citadel bases” or “layer one colour at a time”, but whatever it was I wasn’t familiar with it. I also suspect better results would be likely by purchasing more and more purpose specific paints, (ka-ching!).

Regardless, I got desperate and started mixing artist’s pigments to get some vivid colour back, though it started to become to cool a purple. The white seemed to layer well on the face, but as I was using a base it seemed slightly powdery after a while and too starkly contrasted. I’m assuming a purpose made topcoat (another AUD$6) would have had a better finish.

Still, the white stood out to much and the figure itself had only silver and “swirly Hasbro grey”. So I did what every serious figure painter would have done and blasted it with a can of silver enamel paint from the garage. No going back to the primer for me!

Having already gone down the bodgey road I decided to warm the purple by introducing pigment from a violet Posca paint pen, (I still don’t know what kind of paint it is!). This essentially approximated the existing purple on Galvatron’s treads.

All things considered, it turned out alright in the end. But I may need to repaint the eyes opaque red as they really don’t show up all that well.

Thanks for reading

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love that Galvatron head!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I concur. That head is quite close to perfect, making the helmet look like part of the figure rather than "daddy's football helmet" like most of the other attempts.
    I'm also really liking the bicep and shoulder additions. Do the shoulder ones hiner articulation at all?

• Like Like x 3
  11. The Madness

Thanks guys. I'm quite happy with the head, though I'm not satisfied with the face given the way shadows cast on it. I think I lost a bit of detail with smoothing, so I'm going to trial some extra faces with my next order.

[​IMG]

Yeah the shoulders turned out better than expected, complementing the bicep pieces and giving a nicer profile. They don't hinder articulation, as the shoulder 'pylons' pivot up whenever required, but they do sit in a female port used for transformation, so it's purely robot mode decoration.

• Like Like x 3
  12. THEOrize2000

THEOrize2000 Well-Known Member

Oof... your head and facial expressions have just blown mine out the water. I love the explosion and blast effect parts. Everything looks great so far, can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fenz

Fenz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mp36 cannon for cw megatron thats will be great

14. The Madness

Ha, I'm happy to take the compliment knowing full well that I'll be saying the same to you very soon. I took a read through your thread and I'm impressed. I didn't even have a computer at your age, let alone the skills you've developed already, so I imagine you're going to be quite remarkable in just a few short years. That said, I think the expression you made is great with a really convincing snarl and good proportions. It shows good observation skills with alignment of brow, cheeks, eyes, nose and lips and notches it up with convincing asymmetry.

I'll see what I can pull out of the bag, but keep experimenting and learning, I'll be watching to see what you come up with too.

As much as I think CW Megatron could really do with a better cannon, I opted to buy an MP36 instead of the CW leader, so I can't help I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Madness

OK, the Marvel Max head is done! I did attempt a red-orange blend on the eyes, but it didn't really work. So it got another coat of red.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Madness

Just a quick update, as I've finally got some free time again.

I neglected to show the painted Galvy faces. The paint got a bit worn though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Made a replacement face for Overlord, taking cues from boxart more than anything else. Complete with gormless stare.

[​IMG]

It ended out too babyfaced for my liking. Probably due to imprecise measuring, so I've made an alteration along with some slip-on abdomen guns. I probably wont get a hold of it until close to a month given Shapeways production speeds currently.

[​IMG]

Hardhead has a new head, next up is Brainstorm, which will come with the shapeways order. I'm going to need to deface a few Titanmasters by the end of this.

[​IMG]

Also on order is a series of blast effects, including small impact explosion. Now that Siege has been revealed there are plenty more opportunities for effects displays, including standardised barrel sizes. I don't currently have any Siege releases, but these should be compatible. They still fit older guns using some of the connectors already made.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Doctor Prime

Doctor Prime Dark Rider Prime

News Credits:
    where can i get this galvatron head?

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

Are you able to make these images bigger? That Galvatron head is amazing, but I can't truly appreciate it with how big the images are right now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Madness

They're just one off customs at the moment. Helping me learn how designs translate into the print material and what works at the scale used. Also, I'm currently trying to figure out how to be most productive and cost effective per print. As the ball joint is a stronger material there's currently three files to make the head.

Cheers, some larger images here: Titan Returns Appreciation Thread
    But if you're after some macro shots with better focus, here's a few I have. Lots of dust, paint chips and uneven highlights from sealing with Modgepodge though. Rookie errors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Artork312

Artork312 The Robo-Chuvak

News Credits:
    "IDIOT!!!" - Galvatron, Webworld.