A Noob With A Burgeoning Animated Obsession.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Monte Williams, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

Hi Everyone,

I just joined TF World this morning; Animated figures have seduced me back into the fandom, or at least back into collecting.

I am a longtime Transformers fan, but also a largely casual one; as a child in the '80s, I was more fond of G.I. Joe (though I always cited my Gen 1 Prime as my favorite toy), and indeed I only discovered this place by asking friends for a TF equivalent to JoeDios:

JoeDios - JoeDios Dioramas, Photos, collections, Reviews & Files - Photos

I haven't kept up on any Transformers cartoons since Gen 1, but my editor at PopMatters asked me to review the Energon Ultimate Collection; I could only get one episode through it, alas. But from the clips I have seen on YouTube, Animated might be more to my liking; "Transform and Roll Out" arrived in my mailbox an hour ago, by way of Netflix.

Anyhoo, I scored an Animated Oil Slick and Jazz for Christmas, and I love them; Voyager Bulkhead is on his way, and while I'll be broke for the foreseeable future, I can't wait to get pretty much the entire series, particularly Ultra Magnus and Leader Megatron.

I live in Twin Falls, Idaho, where I teach sixth grade. My primary toy obsession is the mostly-despised Sigma 6 series. My PopMatters column archive can be found here:

Lowbrow Literati | Monte Williams | PopMatters Column

My blog, Geek Creek, is here:

Geek Creek

My toy hobby consists mostly of photographing my toys outdoors, and I look forward to taking Animated figures to the Snake River Canyon.

Not a lot more to tell. I just thought I'd introduce myself, despite my having nothing more insightful to say than "Animated figgers is purty."

I look forward to exploring TF World.

Thanks!

Cheers,

-Monte

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You take very nice photos. Always great to see another Tf fan, even better if that fan likes Animated.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard! We have to warn you though, once Animated sucks you in, there is no escaping!

4. Monte Williams

Thanks, guys. It's great to be here.

That raises a question I've been pondering for a while:

To what extent has Animated been accepted by the fans?

I gather it's at least somewhat divisive and controversial, but it seems to have garnered more love than Sigma 6 ever did; Joe fans HATED those toys, by and large.

I believe it; I'd planned to buy just a Snake Eyes and a Storm Shadow from Sigma 6. So much for that:

[​IMG]

I can already tell Animated will be just as addictive.

The only thing compromising its momentum is that it's not as idiot-proof as Sigma 6, where customs are concerned; I don't paint or sculpt, so I'll probably be stuck with Animated figures as-is.

Luckily, they're awesome as-is.

5. Banzaitron45

Banzaitron45 Well-Known Member

From what I have gathered it has been accepted pretty well by fans as you will probably start to notice as there are even fans that may leave the Series once the franchise is finished because they believe it has reached perfection. If you want a few facts I remember Kick Back said that it is one of cartoon Networks highest rated shows, even bringing the ratings of the Saturday morning bock up, and that it is selling just as well as the Movie toys. However there are fans that don't like Animated, but a lot of the people that would post in threads that that they don't like it have even stopped and started watching it. Another Animated hater has also started watching the entire series to see if it is good. P.S. Welme to the site :D 

6. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Sari Sumdac seems to be the least-hated human companion to the Transformers in whatever incarnation there is. It helps that she actually can help the autobots with her deus-ex-machinae-key, but this key also brings problems and responsability with it, which is shown in some episodes of Animated.

7. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

I was annoyed we never got Sigma 6 in Australia....

8. oddsey

oddsey Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

[​IMG]

Nice!

9. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seconded! Monte, just browsed through your blog and I must say I'm impressed! No doubt we'll be seeing more of your photos on the Cool Stuff threads!

Welcome aboard!

10. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    Prime in the snow is an awesome picture...

11. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard.

The toughest thing about Animated for me is to walk past a Deluxe figure I don't own and not buy it.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Welcome to the site. Glad that you're hooked onto Transformers... even if it's just Animated.

13. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    welcome to the grey area between transformers heaven and hell
    where the arguments never end but the entertainment that comes from watching said arguments brew is priceless

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hail and welcome, fellow Animated fan!

15. Monte Williams

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Update: I watched Transformers Animated: Transform and Roll Out last night, and I loved it! I'll spare you the details 'cause I'll be sharing my long-winded column here once it's published, but suffice to say, it's easily the best-written Transformers cartoon I've ever seen. (I've never seen Beast Wars, for the record.)

Now I want the toys even more badly, of course. Heh-heh.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Holey Moley Monte!!!...man, your pics :rock  !!!! I am loving the Prime discovered in the snow

Welcome to the boards sir :) 

17. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

this is no grey area it is transformers heaven we just keep letting athiests in ruining the paradise :p 

18. Monte Williams

Thanks, Plowking (great name, by the way.) Incidentally, I saw your post count and thought it was your Collection Count for a moment; I nearly died.

Here I thought my 3428-post tally at Joe Battlelines was impressive; lots of people here put me to shame!

19. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks :)  I love that episode of "The Simpson's".....as far as the collection count for me, I used to have well over 100 Alternators (official releases, and customs) but I have since "purged" my collection....got a lot less than before.

Post count....meh....its other members here that put my post count to shame too....so don't let that bother you, you'll drive yourself crazy if yah do.

Feel free to post your Transformers collection in the collection forums too:

Transformers Collection Showcase

And, if you are interested in having them in your own gallery here on TFW2005, check out this thread:

Collection Archiving Procedure

None-the-less, again, welcome to the boards, and keep posting those awesome pics!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  20. Monte Williams

Oh, I'm not bothered by the fact that there are post-counts that dwarf my own, just astonished. :) 

As for photos of my collection, it's a whopping two figures strong at the moment, so I'll wait. I have a (Voyager) Bulkhead on the way, though, along with Bumblebee and Soundwave.

Slowly but surely!

And believe me, once I have enough figures to bother with, I'll be posting photos like a madman.