A newbie question: the Marvel Comics continuity...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by johnboy3434, Aug 16, 2009.

1. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone! I've recently taken an interest in Transformers for the first time (haven't seen the Bay films, yet), and was wanting to get into the original Marvel series. However, I have discovered that the Transformers franchise is the poster child for the term "Continuity Snarl", and am confused as to which comics are actually relevant to the Marvel US timeline. This is what I've got so far:

The Transformers (US '84) #1-80
    G. I. Joe and the Transformers #1-4
    The Transformers: Head Masters #1-4
    Transformers Universe #1-4
    Transformers: Generation 2 #1-12

Is that all the material from the US Marvel Universe?

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    More or less. But I'd recommend you take a look at the UK Marvel TF comics as well or you'll be missing some fantastic stuff. For the most part it slots nicely into the US stuff.

And first post I see, so welcome in. :) 

3. johnboy3434

Thanks for the welcome! I'm planning on taking a look at the UK-exclusive stuff, but not until I've finished up the US continuity. You know, trying to prevent confusion and all. In addition, I asked for the first season of the G1 cartoon for my birthday, simply because of its legendary status in nostalgic fandom. I've heard so much about it that I have to take a look. If I like what I see, I'll continue purchasing the seasons.

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Also, note the US-comic sort of decides to abandon bits of its own continuity along the way as well, so there's no clean way to do it.

*cough* Spider Man *hack*
    *ahem* Savageland *Snort*

D/L

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Cartoon is definitely fun. :) 

I grew up on the UK Marvel TF comics (reprints of the US ones) and the UK originated strips came along within the continuity of the US ones (not always but mostly) to fill space whenever we caught up to the US ones. They fit quite well so if it was me I'd get both the UK and the US and then read the whole lot with the UK ones slotted into place to make a giant complete saga. :) 

6. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

IDW are releasing lots of "Best of UK" trade paper backs at the moment. Seriously essential purchases. Some of the best Transformers stories ever.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    There are a few issues of GI Joe (mid-80s, I think) that serve as a prelude to the launch of the G2 comic. They explain how Megatron came back and got his new body, as well as kill off a few Autobots.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I'm going to echo a few others here...

If you're reading the US MARVEL, I recommend reading the UK MARVEL run concurrently. They're sort of designed to be read that way... and the UK stuff is generally much better than the US run.

GIJOE vs Transformers is pretty weak, but it does sort of follow the main TF continuity in terms of who's in charge of the Decepticons and such, and includes a few relevant events, such as Bumblebee becoming Goldbug.

Ditto Headmasters. It's not especially good, but it introduces a lot of characters that later become important to the main continuity. A necessary evil.

Transformers Universe is not really a comic so much as a profile book, but it really is essential reading for any Transformer fan. I'm wondering if the trade paperback edition is still in print.

Also good to keep in mind that the Generation 2 comic is actually a direct continuation of the G1 storyline, rather than being a "new continuity". As someone already mentioned, the roots of Generation 2 are covered in a couple of issues of GIJOE.

Marvel's Transformers is a bumpy ride... I'll warn you of that in advance. Sometimes it's excellent... often it's just BAD. You'll have ups and downs. I dropped the title twice back in the 80's, only to come back shortly after because things got better again.

Have fun!

zmog

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You've made a wise decision regarding your first step into TF fiction, my friend. The Marvel material comprises some of the finest (if not THE finest) TF stories ever to grace the printed page. After you've read it, you'll be left wondering why the hell the cartoon wasn't a straight-up adaptation of the comics.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Haha! This right after me warning him that the comics are often dumb and inconsistent! :D 

But you're right... the comics ARE much more interesting and complex than the cartoon, without a doubt. Unfortunately the bar for old TF fiction is not very high... that's all. :) 

zmog

11. johnboy3434

Well, I chose the Marvel series because it was the first adaptation the toy line received, and I'm sort of anal about the original incarnation of a franchise being the "true canon", even if another incarnation (in this case, the G1 TV show) is infinitely more popular.

Speaking of which, I don't want to be spoiled, but I do have a question about the ending of the story (which I'm assuming is G2 #12): is there any closure? Is the story actually wrapped up, or does it leave on a cliffhanger. I know the G2 comic was canceled, and that doesn't usually bode well for the story. Again, I don't want to know what actually happens, but I would like to know if the story gets a proper ending so, in case it doesn't, I won't be disappointed once I get there.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    It does end on a cliffhanger but one that gets introduced and dismissed on the same page. The main story was told and was given closure. Sure there would have been enough to carry on for a "Generation 3" storyline but at the time Transformers fiction ended for good as far as they knew it. The Liege Maximo was probably intended as one last final shock to the reader even if it was never intended to be picked up again.

I think Furman did pick up the Liege Maximo again for a fan or convention comic I believe although I am not too knowledgeable on that since I never been able to read it.

Your best bet to learn more is to check it out on the tfwiki.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Welcome to the boards!

The G1 fiction is great. I got into the comics after the cartoon was cancelled.

The Headmasters mini has by far the best origin for the Headmasters imho.

Make sure you watch the '86 movie before you read any of the UK stuff since a lot of the UK stories like Target 2006 follow directly from it and treat the movie as cannon (even if they ignore all the other cartoon eps). But you have a ways to go before you even start those since your starting with the US stuff.

Let us know what you think of the issues as you read them. Maybe an issue by issue review/opinion. Half the fun of fandom is watching someone post their comments about a show or comic run they're reading for the first time.

And for the curious the G.I. Joe issues that lead into G2 are 138-142 (give or take an issue). I can comfirm the exact numbers later. But I'm pretty sure that's right. G2 has a satsfying, if a bit rushed, wrap up, centainly enough for closure.

Dang, just talking about the comics makes me want to dig them out and read them again.

14. johnboy3434

Yeah, I like that idea. As soon as I get the issues, I'll post my thoughts on each one. I guess it's okay to do it in this topic, then?

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I don't see why not. Might need a thread title change once you start though, so as to not confuse things. Perhaps a new thread might be better.
    The good thing is Marvel did a comic adaptation of the 1986 movie so the OP doesn't even need to watch the film if they're just wanting to crash through Transformers in Marvel comic format first.
    But if memory serves there were some UK-only stories that came before the movie stuff too.

16. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

The GIJoe comics I think start with 138 or 139 with Megs making an appearance on the last page. After that the next issues of Joe lead off a four part story that then moves on to issue #2 of Generation 2.

The UK comics are decent as well. I have the collected ones. It's always fun to read through them and try to count how many times Furman has someone say "What are you playing at?". I don't seriously count them I just notice that it's alot.