A New Plan

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Stune, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like in the past few months, the joy in collecting has diminished somewhat. I still enjoy it, however the glee upon obtaining a figure has changed into a sensation of cracking it open and sitting it on the shelf. That instant gratifcation that only lasts for that day, and at worst, a few minutes to a few hours.

So what I'm planning on doing is creating a POL for myself. Not online, but whenever I get a figure, I'm going to leave it MOSB/MOSC until a given date, and then at one point either open the entire haul or just pieces of it. My "Date" at this point is looking like my Birthday (The end of may, or just after the first few waves of DOTM toys come out). During that time I also plan on shelving most of my figs to attempt to keep them off my mind, until the time comes for them to be nostalgic and fresh when I take them out of storage. I imagine this won't be much longer than my haul date.

Anyone else feeling the anxiety? Agree with me? Disagree? Do you do the same, or something similar with your figures?

Discuss.

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'ld say you should reevaluate the purchases themselves. What figures are you not enjoying and which ones do you love? Are you buying stuff just to shop?

Personally I find the more figures I open at once the less I actually enjoy them and the easier they are to forget

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i have kept some stuff moc for awhile just cause it looked so nice moc/mib and i didn't have to relax and open it. it is fun having it around and knowing you'll open it soon.

display it moc or mib where you can see it and it will give you a smile every time you walk by knowing your going to open it soon. :thumb 

id say open one or two things every once in awhile and not wait for one day to open a bunch though.

4. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It depends.

I have like a stockpile of Animated MISB/MOSC, but I won't bother opening them until I get moved to the new house. There's just no place to display them right now. At first, it killed me to see the seven stacked MOSC figures, but I've since tucked them away so I don't see them. I think it kills my four year old nephew more when he sees them. lol

I've bought a handful of the Generations figures. I don't really like 'em with the exception of Skullgrin and Drift. I have gotten some Universe 2.0 figures like Countdown, opened it, and I love 'im. The only other one I've been giggly over is Stealth Force Optimus Prime. He doesn't transform per say, but I love his power up mode and his movie quotes. I can't stop messing with him.

Any G1/G2 makes me happy - even repeats.

MegaHavok may be right. For me, it is about what TF line I'm buying. It could be the same for you...?

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I haven't bought a Transformer since some time in early January. In fact, I don't think I've bought any toys since then. I think I'd be happy with any new toys at this point. It DOES feel good to have money in your wallet, though.

6. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

When I'm really on a spending spree and picking up tfs left and right, I feel the excitement drop a bit. Whenever I am going through a lay off of buying tfs (like right now :/) I feel the excitement replenish when I get that next figure. Creating a POL sounds like a smart idea for yourself. I have never done it, but I have thought of it before. I would open the figs on regular intervals, like one fig a week. If you are consistently opening up a fig once a week, eventually you will need more figs to open at once to feel that tf high. Though, all relationships have their dry moments. Good luck!

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Maybe you should ween yourself off instead of going cold turkey.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is some good advice here.

Personally, the main frustration I have is tracking stuff down and making sure I'm able to have the available expendable cash.

I also sometimes like to not just rip into things immediately after a purchase.

9. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think its the purchases themselves, as much as the frequency of them, and how it correlates with my time to actually enjoy said purchases. I've been in a very weird, transitional spot in my life, and this is definitely bleeding into my hobby. Not financially, just emotionally.

I'm not desperately trying to hold on to this, its something I definitely enjoy doing still, but I think I feel jaded to the constant onslaught of great, great things we've been getting.

This just seems like a good idea to me right now, and I think I'm going to go with it for awhile.

10. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I hear where you're coming from man, I was that way during Universe 2.0, there was so many great figures coming out that I literally burnt myself out on TFs, to the point that I stopped collecting all together, until Generations and now I'm back in the game.

I regret the lapse in collecting during Uni 2.0 however, since I missed out on some great figures, the last figure I got during Uni 2.0 was Hardhead. What actually lead into my burn out was not even Uni 2.0, it was actually Animated, I had bought almost every Ani figure that was being released, and they were amazing, but just so much TF overload got to me and it lead to my lapse. I only got Cyclonus, Hound, Starscream, Smokescreen, Treadbolt, and Hardhead during Uni 2.0.

Your idea of a POL is a great idea, I wish I would have done the same during Uni 2.0. I can tell ya from experience though, don't just stop during such a great time and line, you might end up regretting it later like I did.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I wouldn't feel comfortable buying something and not opening it soon after just because there's always the chance of dodgy QC and the longer it's left before I discover it the harder it would be to get a replacement of refund.

That said, I have kept a few figures to open at a later date and then I end up just putting them into my sealed collection and then into storage and they never get opened (so far as between then and now counts as never).

12. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

you're getting overloaded with tfs
    get something else now and then

13. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Send all of your MIP figures to me, and I will parcel them to you at a pre-determined interval.

I may open them and play with them to ensure quality control.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really don't like opening more then 1 or 2 figures at a time. I guess I just enjoy having the time to appreciate one new thing at a time...

Like I just got the tc/wheeljack/scourge/kup generations wave from bbts a couple weeks ago, then I got the rts wreckgar, g2 prime, and perceptor wave shortly after. while each of these characters are really awesome on their own, I felt a bit overwhelmed having to rush through one character just to break open the next.

some may find that really enjoyable and get some good entertainment out of opening multiple things at once, but I really like figuring out all the little nuances in a toy and not having to move onto another one so quickly after...and I kinda feel like I have to do that when I've got multiple new things to open.

so for me, the POL idea would have me completely burnt out very quickly. it may work out great for you, but everyones got their own ideas of how they go about collecting and purchasing. personally I say find what works for you and just stick to that.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instead of putting them on shelves get a nice long folding table and build a battle scene. Adjust the scene from time to time to favor the bots or cons a la a shifting battle.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Very interesting. Packing new stuff away would force you to appreciate what you have, and opening them on a certain date would be a reward of sorts. There would also be no worries about not finding them later. I may adopt this idea.

17. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also,

Since there's likely going to be a Generations drough during DOTM I' plan on doing like I did during ROTF and buy all my Universe 2.0 stuff when available at the beginning of the year but only open one a week so that I did't suffer withdraw and buy ROTF toys. . .

18. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I agree. Maybe it is time to take a step back from collecting Transformers or collecting at all. I have done that numerous times in the past and then I feel rejuvenated when I come back to the hobby. Sure you could miss out on a few cool items, but most things can be picked up when you come back...and the things that become more expsneive can just become new grails :) 

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I feel ya, my Mp Roddy and finally got a damned Predaking sat here for a week or two before I opened them.

I know what u mean about having some time and enjoying things, we all need that sometimes, no matter what it is that u do or collect.

I don't get burned out as much as I just get bummed out and just take a shift to something else for a bit. Like I play with my cars instead or do the damned house repairs I so hate doing lol.

Just make sure u know what u want and don't miss out on anything u will want later and pay more for.

I have some of the Uni 1.0 and 2.0 stuff, but I wish I would have gotten more of each line especially the G1 inspired characters since that is where my passion lays.

I will keep up on Generations/RTS as long as they do G1 homages and just like the prior 2 movies, I will not be buying a single toy from it.(minus Bludgeon lol)