A New Generation : What Can and Do We Expect From TF4

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RoadBuster88, Apr 10, 2012.

1. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

There seems to be many threads still banging on about the first 3 movies and why this happened and why that shouldn't have been that way etc.

It's time to move on and see what's in store for TF4, both as a fan and as a general consumer of movies.

If I were to do a quick overall review of the trilogy just gone, the first would have been the best, second went overboard, the third brought it back a little. They did however, make a tonne of money no matter what and this proves that the material involved, including Mr Bay himself as the director, is a sure-fire choice for the 4th.

What can/do we expect from this installment?

1) Much more robot personality and backstory coming through. One thing that vexed everyone was the fact that robots appeared and disappeared during or inbetween films with no or little explanation. Jolt and Barricade being the main ones here. Also, some were there to look good and die within minutes, looking at you Sideways!

2) Less awful jokes/puns. ROTF took the biscuit with this and took it to levels that angered many people. No need for it. I would preferably like to see a more serious side to aliens coming to our planet.

3) Better/cleverer use of certain groups of robots. I'm talking about the dinobots, the arcee triplets, insecticons, wreckers, constructicons etc. Dinobots have yet to be touched upon at all and with good implementation (with the help of Jurassic Park maestro Spielberg) they will be one of the best things on screen. Gender of robots was never touched upon, or romance, or bromance! Arcee is a clinical figure in showing this side of the Transformers variety. The insecticons were all good as far as i'm concerned. The wreckers looked so good, and i expected so much more from them! They ran away though which sucked, not a Wrecker trait. Lastly, constructicons. If Devastator makes a return of sorts, he shouldn't really be multicoloured or have massive jangly balls.

4) Transformers being the main focus. Not the main lead character, and especially not his love interest, who shouldn't be a cracker of a model.

5) Not cramming as much as you can into the end of a film. DOTMs end came as a shock to all im sure.

Feel free to add your expectations :) 

2. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

More Sideswipe and bring in Sunstreaker!

3. RoadBuster88

Me and a mate were thinking this was bound to happen but it never materialised! Would be awesome as it shows a bit of Bromance there which is pretty standard at the moment in this generation. A bit like Skids and Mudflap, but less dumbasses and more epic duo!

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

What we can expect, in the sense of, what I, using logical reasoning, predict that will ocur [not precisely what I want to happen], would be:

A) No toilet humour would be the next logical step, you can barely find it in DOTM, logically, the next movie would cut it out fully [especially since Bay is only producing].

B) A brighter movie. Not necessarily a rainbow-and-candy movie, but it's a reboot, they'll brighten things a little to win the audience back, since DOTM was a little...too dark [There was a full-blown genocide scene, a disturbing Child's Play-esque scene with Laserbeak, Ironhide dying like cattle, the list goes on], it was good for a final movie, but for a first movie, they'll make things lighter so they can gradually make it dark again.

C) Presumably a larger budget. Not much, but still larger. These movies have proved themselves as worthy.

D) A little Less robot screen-time. Of course, there probably will be plenty of robot screen-time, but they have to introduce an entire new cast of humans and an entire new status quo of Earth, robots will need to wait a little.

E) A more connected chronology, seeing the absurd success of the Marvel movies, It is painfully obvious Hasbro will attempt to follow suit with the new TF movies, connecting them better than the Bay franchise.

F) The possibility of villains winning. Villains usually don't win due the risk of the movie not making enough money to warrant a sequel. That risk is basically null, so it's likely the new franchise will have a Empire Strikes Back movie [can't say which] and cliffhangers.

As Split Lip once wisely said: "There are more directions in battle than forward", Optimus explicelty mentioned they needed a distraction, the Wreckers were distracting Shockwave so The Autobots could act, Shockwave alone is too much of a threat for the entire Autobot team.

So to sum it up: The Wreckers were doing something ridicuously suicidal [taunting the massive war-machine right ahead of them] to save their fellow 'Bots. Perfectly Wrecker-like.

5. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I know. I wanted to see a golden Sunstreaker show up and those two show Skids and mudflap what real bot twins are. But of course in order to show off a bot bromance they would have to ignore all those pesky humans. I need very few humans with my transformers damn it!

I also want to see Unicron! I kept waiting for the end of one of the damn movies to just have the shadow of unicron creeping towards earth! But I never got it.

6. RoadBuster88

Lack of toilet humour = already much better film.

I really want them to go the way of the star wars trilogy, fairly good-sided opener, with an evil-winning second film, with good prevailing in the third. It's a great way to do things with two opposing sides. Also, i'd love to see the Decepticons winning in a film :D 

I hope they dont marvel and do a separate film for every transformer :p 

Regarding the wreckers thing, i guess they taunted it a little but i'd prefer to see them taking the fight to it, showing their metal!

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

But they DID that, after the distraction was done they went up against the two biggest [size-wise] 'Cons of the movie: Shockwave and Clover-Con [look it up] on their own.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

See, everything your described would make even the current movies better than what they are. And I just said this in another post; Micheal Bay just doesn't have it in him to make a really great Transformers movie.
    We would need a director who can respect the franchise, to uphold the elements which are familiar, but also be able to make the necessary changes to make the series unique, and still manage to make a good, fun, exciting, and memorable movie.
    Until Micheal bay steps back from the movie franchise; we're going to continue to get crapped on.
    I mean after seeing all three TF movie; I can't help but look at a 4th Transformers movie with pessimism.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

No offense, but you seem to have set your expectations for the movie a bit too high. You're expecting more unique and varried characters from a trilogy that proved three times over that if a TF is not a Prime or Bumblebee, their entire characterizations can be summarized in a single sentence. I don't see how you thought the end of DOTM came as a surprise, as the entire final battle was about an hour long. You want more sub groups like the wreckers even though bringing them in would cut into the time preexisting, underedeveloped characters like Ratchet could have. You also appear to not understand the point of product placement, as that's literally the only reason Sideways (the R8, Audi wanted the car in the movie) and Jolt (Chevy Volt, forced inclusion by GM) were even in ROTF to begin with.

EDIT: Or, what Overlord Balder said.

10. RoadBuster88

Haha well fingers crossed that they have the right intellect to know that these are the best brothers in the TF universe!

I've always been up in the air about Unicron. He would have to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge lol, unbeatable!

Clover-bot is awesome :p 
    They may have done that but it wasn't shown enough, it wasn't their own scene, it was a passing image. Shockwave was taken down by a parachute mostly :( 

What i think is in Bay's favour is that he is pretty good with the whole car advertising thing, getting them to look awesome in every way. Also, the military like him muchly, giving him the best stuff! However, i think a lack of armed forces wouldnt be a bad thing. In TF Prime for example, they rarely show up as the bots are mostly in hiding, and i really enjoy TF Prime.

11. RoadBuster88

I've set them high because as a movie-goer where SFX are getting better and better and directors have lots of experience, i expect them to deliver at a high quality. I dont expect to go and see utter crap like Ghost Rider 2, it boggles me how people get away with making such abominations...

Their backstories can be summarized in a sentence because they didnt attempt to in the films.

It came as a surprise because they crammed everything into half an hour, where sentinel can whip prime, megatron can whip sentinel and prime can whip megatron, with one arm! Might i add that it was surprising because it shouldnt have happened, having main characters all blown up and deceased for the sake of the ending.

I dont want MORE subgroups, i want the subgroups handled properly.

I understand product placement, its in every film possible these days. Xbox, Sony, Mac, Coca Cola, you name it. That shouldnt dictate a film though. Yes, have one GM car, not all of them...

12. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

I would very much like to see soundwave's parts to be used to build soundblaster. and y'know, autobot blaster could work as well as getting twincast in the fifth.

13. RoadBuster88

He should have one "partner" each film.

Laserbeak, Ravage and Rumble.

14. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Lots of robot fights.

Explosions.

Use of some of the cars from my "Game" thread for new characters :) 

Explosions.

Hot girls.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Normally, I'd agree with you, but in this case I have to disagree. We've gotten three movies that are, more or less, written in the exact same way (disregarding the writer change for DOTM). This has proven to be a cash cow for Paramount and Hasbro, since DOTM is the 4th highest grossing movie of all time.

So, the question is; if what made up DOTM was worth over 1 billion dollars, why mess with something that works? People seemingly don't go to the movies for plot so much as they do for the big explosions and robots kicking ass on the silver screen.

I still don't see how this is a surprise. Up until the Sentinel/Optimus fight, the latter had been flying around and ripping off robot faces from just about every Decepticon in the fight, including Shockwave (who didn't even have a face). Then, the probably tired and worn out Optimus has to deal with Sentinel, who hasn't had to lift a finger the entire time and is at 100%, not to mention obviously a skilled fighter despite his age. Sentinel clearly had the advantage the whole time, and at the climatic point it really does look like Optimus is finished.

And then Megatron finally sucks it up and does a very Megatron-like thing: shooting his ally in the back. This cripples Sentinel, and saves Prime's life. Probably slipping into even more insanity because he's already dying, Megatron goes after Optimus once again and is easily killed. Again. In the novelization, Megatron actually makes a truce with Optimus and survives the battle, which is one of the few details that generally make the book more "complete" than the movie (other events include Sentinel executing the Twins, Mirage's death, and Leadfoot loosing a leg). Plus, this was the end of a supposed trilogy, and in the impossible event this was the last TF film in this continuity, the story had to be wrapped up with all the bad guys biting the big one.

Oh, okay, I just read it like you wanted more sub groups. My bad.

The first movie was pretty much part car commercial, to be honest. The only Autobot who wasn't available as a commercial car at the time was Optimus, and that's because he wasn't a car or a Hummer.

And now that I think about it, all the new Autobots save Jetfire from ROTF were also car advertisements, with a double dose of Bumblebee because he'd upgraded to the following revision of the new Camaro design.

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

hot rod with firebolt
    arcee with dainel
    bumblee rebuilt in into gold bug

17. RoadBuster88

Yea i was breezing through your Game thing today and saw some awesome ones, though admittedly i didnt have a clue who half the robots were that were being mentioned :p 

True. The movies, however "disappointing" they were, did make a lot of money. Why should we change the formula that clearly works? Because we as the consumers have the say. If we upped our standards and asked for something that was actually WORTH our money then we would receive better. We as humankind are fail because most of us just sit and take what is given to us. Yea it made money, and was a good trilogy. However, it could make the same amount of money and more, and actually be amazing.

The end was just very haphazard for me and my friends. Too much happening at once, getting it all in before the end, killing off everyone they could. It was a mess really. It wasnt the end we wanted, we deserved, right?

I like the fact that new cars are used, its no surprise that when you see a car doing its thing in a film, you just want it, especially if it "transforms" and does kick ass things in a movie universe. I dont really have a problem with that. It was having a car in it to die needlessly that infuriated me. It's like "omg an R8 awesome, i hope he does something insane like.....oh :( "

18. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

reverse order, but yes. maybe slugfest for the next to tie in with dinobots if there are any, or set up for them in the 5th.

19. RoadBuster88

One thing i do like is something that recurrs every now and again. For example, in Prime they have Ratchet having his tool broken somehow and his quote "hey i needed that!". Cracks me up each time :p 

20. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    fixed. Spotlight: Jolt, anyone?