A new console challenger emerges...Acer!?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Source: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/03/acer_planning_to_build_open_platform_console-2.html
    Phantom 2 anyone?

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Acer = Fail

A completely open platform would be great, but I can't see a lot of software developers really getting behind it. The very word 'open' probably brings up haunting thoughts of bootloaders and other ways that people could somehow play pirated copies of their games

Plus to be honest, it's Acer. Their products aren't bad for the average consumer, and great if you just want a basic computer for a cheap price. But really, they aren't really 'gaming pc' producers from what I've seen. I wouldn't buy a console from Acer, Compaq/HP, or even toshiba (though a toshiba system might not be a total failure, but instead just a 3do level failure)

Of the current computer producers, the only one I can see getting into the console business successfully would be Apple. Imagine the sexiness of the iGame with it's glossy white controllers and unique interface... you know, like the Wii. Perhaps they could call it the iWii

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I just don’t think a lot of these companies have the money or shear force of will to bust into the console market. Microsoft and Sony where both massive corporations ready and willing to risk massing heaps of loot. I agree the only computer company I can see pulling it off is Apple but I think a handheld system would be more likely a route for them to take. Or if it was a console then I imagine a set up where you download games and not buy them on disks.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'll be honest and say that I think Dell could probably make a go of it.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    creating a console utilizing PC technology

Xbox...

Why does he think this is so new?

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I think it's bad enough that we have three video game systems battling each other. A fourth one would just make things ridiculous. I think Acer will go the way of Phantom.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think you'll find it'll be a PCBox and push toward that exact market and not the traditional console audience Microsoft went for.

It cost Microsoft more money that most companies earn in a decade to even get a foothold.

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Heh...my flat screen is by Acer...
    DN

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I don't know, guys, Acer is huge in Canada. I don't know anybody who DOESN'T have an Acer laptop or use Acer desktop components.

I really came into this thread to make a Phantom comparison.
    Then I read the OP.

I don't know what I'm doing here.

10. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    There's no way this console will succeed. It's a miracle that the Xbox made it to a second generation, but it's mostly due to M$'s endless supply of funds and Halo.

11. McBradders

Microsoft also need the Xbox and Zune businesses to prove they aren't a "monopoly" any longer. Remember when they were getting sued left right and center for unfair monopolies?

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Microsoft is unfairly bundling it's "notepad" application as a basic text editor in windows, they should not include it so users have a choice to browse the internet to find something else!

But seriously tho, Acer = fail. They're never going to be able to produce a mainstream console.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That bothers me sometimes, and this from a very strange standpoint.. I love Halo (maybe not as much as NGW does) but I do anjoy it. But every magazine I look at and every time I go on live, it's Halo everywhere. My standpoint isn't from a fan of another game. It's more from a developer's standpoint. It seems like when someone thinks Xbox, they think Halo. They don't think Bioshock, Mass Effect, Transformers Movie Game (that last one a joke), or Lost Odyssey. They think Halo. If I were a developer creating a game s exclusively for Xbox, I'd be kinda pissed that MS doesn't put as much oomph into pushing my game. And for MS, it's almost in their best interest to push other games, so that to the casual gamer, they aren't only known for one game.

They have some ridiculously cool exclusives, even in the Xbox days (Cismsom Skies, Otogi, Azurik "another joke"), but people only remember Halo 1 and 2 because only those games have events surrounding their launch.

If I were Bioware, for example, I'd ask MS if they could make condoms with Mass Effect themes. And if I were Bioshock's developers, I'd want MS to push my game by releasing Big Daddy... ('ll stop there), but you know what i mean.

I'm not surprised MS made it to the second round, but it is true that they did, in a large part due to their funds and the success of Halo. But what if Bungie hadn't made Halo... where would MS be without that, if they don't promote any of their other big games. Well, they promote them, to be sure. But Halo is an exaggerated promotion campaign, for a game that will sell even if no one knew about it. The guys that need that type of promotion are the Great games that no one will ever play because no one knows about them.

14. McBradders

Halo is something of an anomoly that Microsoft (quite rightly) took advantage of. It's not really -just- a game anymore. For some people it is, but for every dork teabagging you and calling you a "gay jew" there is someone equally as invested in the vast fiction the games skim the surface of.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but through clever PR and llamatron ball usage, MS can make other semi-popular games become that. The hype machine goes a long way, and sometimes just acting like "You must own this game...and the universe it encompasses" is enough to get all of those "gay jew" callers all riled up.

16. McBradders

Gears of War and Bioshock did great numbers. Not Halo 3 numbers, but serious, serious numbers. Same with CoD 4.

Halo is bigger than both of those combined, so naturally it takes a larger slice of the marketing because the return per dollar spent is better.

You watch the Gears 2 hype train, it's going to be fucking huge.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Gears teaser shows promise of that. Too bad the game just doesn't do it for me. My next big anticipation on Bill's Box is Fable, and Azurik 2: The Exiled Smurf.

18. McBradders

I don't think there's -anything- on 360 that has me excited this year apart from the long overdue Rock Band Euro release.

There's also a huge, huge summer drought coming so you better hope MGS 4 and GTA IV will keep you suitably occupied.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think GTA will do the job, even though they aren't perfect games. There is always something to do on them. And if there is a huge drought coming this summer, I can use that time to play Bioshock and Lost Odyssey, two games that I really would like to eventually play.

20. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Isn't Microsoft still losing money over the 360?