A movie I made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus1138, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know if this is the most appropriate forum to post this, but I wanted to post it somewhere here and didn't know where else to put it.

This is a short film I made to test out Adobe After Effects. I'm planning to study film production in college (starting now), and to go into the film industry afterwards. This is the first film I've made completely on my own, not part of a school project or camp, for quite a few years. I hastily wrote the script, and shooting only took about 4.5 hours. I think it turned out fairly well, although the fight at the end could've been better (we were really tired, and I didn't want to push everyone by being all perfectionistic and doing tons of takes). The style and what little of a story there is were inspired by Firefly (which is also the excuse I'm using for all the anachronistic technology and weaponry). Here's the first version:

A Deal Gone Wrong: Special FX Test - YouTube

And here's the second version, with different music and an alternate ending in which my character gets to be more bad@$$:

A Deal Gone Wrong: Special FX Test (Alternate Ending) - YouTube

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about not embedding them. I'm not really sure how to do that.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    What's the soundtrack? Iron Man?

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

For a first, well done. I'd do a little more work on the actual filming; a tripod or just a steadier hand would help with the more static scenes (talking on the cell phone), instead of constantly reminding the viewer that this is a film. If it's not outside the realm of possibility, a microphone would greatly improve the sound quality, especially if you're filming on a windy day like that. Beyond that, I'd keep up the pacing in the chase scenes; stopping to reload your gun draws away from the tension. The smoke effects could also stand to be a little opaque, if only to hide how jaggy they are.
    I liked the soundtrack and the props though. Overall, it was a good short.

4. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked it my only critique is the location it kinda takes away from the movie. But awesome music dude

5. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    made me lol

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brainchild, I agree with you about the camera work. Before this movie, my style had consisted of almost entirely using tripods, but I found that to be a tad boring, especially in action scenes, so I decided to experiment with a handheld camera for this, but I kinda went overboard, not only using it more than I had intended, but also having some shots shakier than they should have been.

For those who are wondering, the music from the first version is mostly from the Firefly soundtrack, except for the electric guitar part in the middle, which is from Iron Man 2. The music in the second version is mostly unreleased music from ROTF, with a little bit of unreleased music from DOTM.

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how did you get Justin Bieber in your movie?
    and don't play with guns, they look too real and you are too little

8. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    It was interesting little film. I liked the helicopter effect. One of the things I did notice though was that that the flamethrower didn't seem to give a glow when it was fired. For a first film it was pretty good. It still needs a little work but I think it wasn't all that bad.

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the resources you have and the age you are (it's a compliment not an insult) you did very well. I know at 34 I sure as hell can't do what you did so kudos to you.

10. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    this

11. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    If you like going handheld but you're worried about it being a little too unstable, try using a two-hand camera stabilizer. There are things like the Fig Rig or "camera wheels" that cost a lot, but if you look up the Frugal Filmmaker, you can make one for cheap. I usually take it with me when I go to the zoo, and the results are nice.