A most ridiculous plan - CW GaoGaiGar

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Silverscar, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

Okay, so this is clearly nuts, but I'm wanting to try something overly ambitious. As the title suggests, I want to try making a GaoGaiGar figure from Combiner Wars figures, while keeping as much of the transformation element as possible. Here's what I've got so far:
    • Sky Lynx as the torso (Galeon). The hard part is that he has no strict robot mode, which makes GaiGar impossible without some potentially drastic heavy modification. Looks like I might even have to buy another Sky Lynx to get the parts I need. Obviously the head needs changing, not sure what to do with that yet (I'm thinking of getting the Blurr headmaster, since his head looks vaguely GaiGar-esque, but not sure how I'll attach it). Also not entirely certain how I'll make hands and feet for GaiGar, or how they'll attach to the legs/arms, but I'd like to try. EDIT: Speaking of, anyone got an image of how his torso scales with that daft lion-head headmaster (whose name I appear to have forgotten)? If it suits, I might make that Galleon's lion head.
    • Brawl as StraightGao and SpiralGao. Not certain how I'll do the feet, but I've bought a drill attachment (ala Nosecone) from Shapeways, and tempted to add extra parts to bulk up the legs and make it more DrillGao like.
    • Vortex as ProtectGao and BrokenGao. The only issue I have here is that the shape is not worth making them function as the whole arm. Ideally, this would mean the arms would have to be scratch built using components I've yet to source (which could be used to part-form GadgetGao).
    • GadgetGao itself would need to be heavily scratch built, and if I bought another Sky Lynx, I could potentially have the pieces to form a base for it, but I'm not sure how it'll all connect together. GaoGaiGar's helmet might also have to be a scratch build.
    If anyone's got any ideas on how I could develop these ideas more, I'd like to know. I've not thought of how much more money I'll be willing to sink into it, but if I take the time to develop it, that might not matter. I've not any visuals yet, because I don't have the drills to at least suggest what the legs would look like.

UPDATE: As you can see, this is the base I'm going for (sorry for the sideways photo!). The feet I'm using here are a set I bought for Computron originally, but I've never had the chance to get it, so I'm using them for Victorion. Here they're just used for showing off the size feet I want to have (as well as provide a stable base for this photo). I did originally want to try develop them into side-extensions to make the shape of Brawl more mole-like, but it never dawned on me how massive those pieces are, hahah! The joints aren't fixed on Sky Lynx just yet, but since I want to make a huge backpack for it, I'm going to have to sort it shortly ^^; Still trying to figure out what to do with the arms, I own an old CM Corp GaoGaiGar figure (Galeon's knee shattered at the swivel joint [which is unrepairable due to the size of the joint], so I stopped using it for display, and it's partially what inspired this), but its arms are tiny, and I sure as hell can't repurpose Galeon's legs to get GaiGar from the Sky Lynx body, much as I'd like (esp as Sky Lynx original hips are literally just swivel joints, and thus would be no good as shoulders). Not had the chance to paint them yet, but the drills are here too, and look awesome in person ^^
    GaoGaiGar_Ver1.jpg
    I'm still thinking as to whether I should use PC hands and feet, I know they have somewhat limited poseability compared to what GaoGaiGar actually has. I'm also not sure about what to do with Galeon's tail, but I'm sure I can sort something. I won't leap into looking at GadgetGao until I know what Hasbro has sent me in compensation for those dodgey hips.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

Mmm, thought I'd throw up an update, I've found Sky Lynx's hips are scary loose, I've only had the figure a week and the hips already can't support his torso. I've complained to Hasbro about this (as it's still unmodified and undamaged as of yet, so it's still in warranty), just waiting to see what they'll say. I've not told them I intend on modding it, so they shouldn't find an issue in terms of warranty. It'll take at least half a month for my drills to arrive, so I've plenty of time to wait ^^ I'm not keen on buying another unless I know there's nothing that can be done with it.

3. draven3410

draven3410 Member

The hips on skylynx seem to be universally bad but a small bit of plastic or board in behind the ratchet did wonders for mine. Got the tutorial on here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

I'll see what Hasbro says first, but good to know, thanks =D
    UPDATE: Hasbro have said since they no longer produce the figure or parts for it, they cannot help (which is a pain, since Sky Lynx was one of the later figures in the line, so they should have something), looks like I'm gonna have to use that fix. That said, they're sending out another figure as compensation, so I'm curious to see what they've sent.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

Still don't know what Hasbro have sent me and whether it'll be at all helpful or not (kinda hoping it'll be TR Alpha Trion, I've heard it's a shelf-warmer). But I'm just wondering, is there a way to get the same kind of effect used in tampographing, without spending the kind of money Hasbro do? I haven't the most steady of hands, so I'm slightly concerned about getting logos and stuff like that looking right. I know it's way far ahead, but I thought it best to ask now while I'm waiting.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

IDK about using actual paints, but clear-backed Reprolabels stickers might be what you're looking for

7. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

The problem is, Reprolabels won't have the symbols I need for it. GaoGaiGar is not from TF (It's actually from the Betterman universe, although it uses discarded TF ideas like many Braves Series shows) and therefore has its own faction symbol.

8. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I haven dabbled in it myself but I believe there are ways of printing your own stickers in that case.

9. 50percentJoe

50percentJoe Active Member

Vortex's generally look could probably be more easily turned into a bullet train, and I've seen fan modes for Skylinx as a lion, so you might want to consider less a 1:1 remake of him as a combiner wars figure and maybe kind of a restyling? Sorta like how they did LioKaiser, its not perfect, but it hits a lot of the right notes and gets the color scheme and such right. I can't find any images of Vortex as a train customs, but surely there's a good way to flip up and conceal his arms to give a convincing look.

combiner-wars-sky-lynx-lynx-mode.JPG

10. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

I'll look into it. Vortex is actually good for the Genesic version, since the train is replaced by two robotic marine animals, which with minimal tweaking and a good paint job could work very well. Brawl might be a harder one to convert into a mole-machine, but I believe I can do it.

11. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

I've a few thoughts on where to go next. Firstly, I need a size comparision between Sky Lynx and Alpha Trion, to see if I can potentially modify them together to complete the appearance I'm looking for. I'm also still looking for how to develop GadgetGao, and how to connect it together. It's going to be huge, but I'd like to give it a go.

12. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

Having seen a minor bash of Beast Hunters Sky Lynx and Energon Divebomb, this might be the route I take for GadgetGao, since with a bit of additional modification I can get it looking quite similar. Still not sure how to attach it to CW Sky Lynx's back, but I'll figure it out ^^

13. Silverscar

Silverscar Active Member

Still waiting on Energon Divebomb and Prime Sky Lynx. But in the meantime... Is there any chance I'd get a better success modifying Cybertron Voyager Leobreaker for the missing parts on CW Sky Lynx? I've looked at Leobreaker, and he is VERY similar to Galeon in terms of shape and poseability, and heck, he doesn't even do the floppy head rotation CM Corp Galeon did. I've also noticed Leobreaker has features that are very familiar to GaiGar (his cyberkey power is a good nod to the Claw Arm attack), and heck, I might even find a way to incorporate the additional parts into GaoGaiGar itself, if possible. I might do a mock up image if i have the chance.